Charm Gating

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Drakkal, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Drakkal Elder

As far as griefing other players goes, I think charm gating is probably one of the worst at this point on Agnarr. There is nothing like that feeling of having whatever named mob your after spawn, have him over 50% dead and knowing hes is definitely yours.......until an Enchanter runs up and charms/gate/memblurs/takes said mob from you, add insult to injury, five seconds later is in /ooc taunting you about the mobs he just stole from you. I don't care if technically it is within the rules or not, its just wrong and more so I am guessing it was never intended to be used this way and therefor could be argued that it is an exploit.

I see no reason this mechanic should work this way, a charmed pet should be lost anytime you Gate or have had Call of the Hero cast on you, period. Yes this will screw a couple camps like Juggs, where people like to charm a frog from around the jail area prior to being CoTH'd down, sorry, take five minutes to clear to those mobs and bring it directly to the group. I'm not big of asking for class nerfs, I am fine with people still being able to charm mobs, but the ability to gate to an out of reach place to steal a mob, needs to go. To anyone who's comeback is "Should of had Dispell up", your either one of the tools that is doing this, never had it happen to you, or just a troll. Nine times out of ten with this happens, you have a couple seconds trying to figure out why your damage is not landing and by the time you can react, the mob and Enchanter is gone.

I have watched this type of thing happening in LGuk, OoT, KC, Chardok, FV, etc, etc, etc and it is a really disturbing sign of how players act differently now then they did in 1999 due to zero policing from DBG. People don't think this is a real problem until they start to see friends drop out of the game due to it and its happening. I personally just watched at least a dozen people last night, log out of the game frustrated due to some jerkoff krono farming Enchanter and his Bard friend. They only have to go through this frustration so many times before they just don't log in anymore. DBG made this TLP to draw back players who have left and or missed out on other TLPs, we are here for nestolgia an community, do something to correct poor community behaviors before it out weighs the desire for nestolgia. Either policy your community, or remove the mechanics that are being abused.
    Lorf likes this.
  2. Finchy Augur

There are other game choices out there....

but who knows every time someone calls out the devs lately they prove them wrong and make a change to said mechanic, so may be if people cry enough it'll happen...
  3. Kiaro Augur

Solution, gate breaks charm, hell, every other evasion tactic does.
  4. Finchy Augur

or can't bind in those specific zones ~
  5. Johnwick Augur

1. Nine times out of ten with this happens, you have a couple seconds trying to figure out why your damage is not landing and by the time you can react, the mob and Enchanter is gone.
    Read your combat log for incoming spells or the ever so often ( so and so has been charmed text ) from wand of allure.

there are multiple ways to get around people doing this.
    The first is -- charm the mob yourself and move it away from competition.

The second , don't camp a highly contested NPC without a knowledgeable group and a enchanter / dispellers ready and loaded.

Third- have a high dps group ( mage / wiz ) w/ wand of Conflaguration. 3 instant cast charges for a 600 damage nuke and 800 damage nuke . this will kill most npcs before a enchanter has time to cast a spell ( does not include wand of allure )

Another option if you have a bard -- Auto Follow the person charm / gating to find out the location and have a individual parked there to DPS the ench / bard for the kill ( because we all know bard dps is AMAZING )

Not trying to be a - but by Daybreaks rules ( No camps / No claiming mobs / ) Only DPS RACE.

Hope this helps you get whatever highly contested npc you are after : )
  6. Johnwick Augur

Kiaro -

Charm does not break from - Rez ( in zone ) Call of the Hero and Gate . So we have 3 separate issues here.
  7. Xanathol Augur

On one hand, you have the krono farmer / that charm gates your mob. On the other hand, charm gating might be the only option you have vs a mage bot army, for example. Point is, there's the good and the bad to it.

The 'work arounds' really don't work, save a mage clicky dispell ring. Wand of Allure + Vial of Swirling Smoke / rez box == instant snatch & grab. Plus, some of these butt boils have their own bot army waiting to kill said mob, so they are prepared to kill ASAP at their bind / res location.

The only true fix is for DBG to actually do their job and police the server, which is the last thing they want to do; that actually requires work!
  8. Illusory Augur

I disagree with this rhetoric.

Just because the EQ team at Daybreak doesn't publicly name, shame, or instantly admit to game design flaws doesn't mean they aren't actively working on ways to make these servers better. The problem here is that people want these servers managed with full-time GMs, instant fixes to problems, and unrealistic design changes.
    snailish likes this.
  9. Xanathol Augur

It's not a design flaw - its a community one. MMORPGs are meant to have people involved - playing the game and running it.
  10. Drakkal Elder

Yes, you are right, there are. So why don't you people that want to pretend that EQ is some type of quasi PvP game go find a real PvP game to grief people in.

This is the entire point of the thread, I do believe Daybreak does more then given credit for, but problems need to be constantly in the light for them to move forward on the issues. I do not expect instant fixes, but I think they have had at least enough time to realize that this is a real issue worth looking into.

If you really think removing charm on Gate/CoTH is an unrealistic design change, I'm sorry, you don't understand development at all. I mean the code is all ready in place for when you leave zone, die, FD or do a half does other things that cause mobs to lose agro. If anything else there was coded added to make the mob come to you like they do, cause they did not do that back in the day. Back in the day Pets of any kind would path all the way through the zone pulling one hell of a train along the way.
  11. Xanathol Augur

If you think breaking charm on gate / rez / coth would resolve the issue, then you're naive. 1. You would just remove a means you had of fighting mage bot armies. 2. Bard charm + selos. 3. Memwipe (even on charm break) can still get you a kill steal. These 'resolutions' you are proposing just move the goal posts whereas a GM pressence can address it all with no need for code changes.
    Illusory likes this.
  12. Drakkal Elder

Can't disagree with that at all, but I am just thinking through things that are more likely to occur. An on going salary that DBG has to pay out.......doubtful. A few hours of development time......still doubtful, but slightly less then the salary idea.

Don't get me wrong I would much rather have a GM presence again just for the sake of have some type of anti- protection in game again. Heck I would go so far as to say if they don't want to add staff to help out now, maybe the next TLP offer it as a premium server that costs an extra couple bucks a month of its own dedicated support staff.
  13. Illusory Augur

Xanathol pretty much summed up what I was going to say in response to this.

Only Daybreak developers know this info for sure, we can only assume.
  14. Finchy Augur

when you say "you people".....

Are you referring to the ones that are active on the forums and have to read the same threads 100s of times because people can't use the search feature to find similar threads and piggy off those instead of creating new ones every day???

oh, okay. Gotcha.
  15. Xanathol Augur

IIRC, there use to be a deal where guides / GMs got a free sub as 'payment'? That was a long time ago, but that might work.

I would definitely pay more a month to play on a server with real GMs.
    Illusory likes this.
  16. Drakkal Elder

Don't recall asking you to reply little long click on the link to begin with, it's not like I somehow cleverly hid my agenda in the title "Charm Gating". So next time you see a thread that appears to be a topic you are tired of reading about, just avoiding clicking. Because currently I give two about your thoughts on searching and necroing some older thread.
  17. NoWay Augur

Salty?
  18. Drakkal Elder

Nah, not really
  19. snailish Augur

Well... I play on Agnarr and am loving it. I've strategically avoided pretty much everything that creates the upset posts here though.

If charming is harming the modern game on progression there are probably lots of ways of dealing with it. Some which likely create worse issues, but let's try a list:

1. remove the ability to charm from the classes that can
    2. modify PC charm to create a doppelganger of the NPC you are charming that poofs when charm breaks, the original NPC is mezzed for the duration of the charm, unless mez is broken by PC action.
    3. Make named NPC and/or the obviously contested NPCs not charmable.
    4. Make some zones "no charm"
    5. Make charming a more Pokemon thing... so you charm the pet you want and carry it around. Though this is a lot like the way another game did pet acquisition for one class (Hunter in WoW). If doing this... put a limited # of charmable NPC of various types (for druids, necro...) in the entire world... and make the cool ones remote hunts to get. Chanters won't have time to grief others, they gotta catch 'em all...
    6. reduce the overall utility of charm spells by making them only castable on a non-combat or mezzed mob... and keep the cast time on charm 5 seconds plus.

A serious look at who can bind where isn't an unreasonable thing either. No binding inside any of the "popular" dungeons (or perhaps any dungeon) makes sense in some respects. Casters can bind outside the dungeon, melee it would be nice to have a few more soulbinders spread around the world to fill in some of the gaps that are really long runs.
  20. Rhodz Augur

So basically play WoW is your answer snailish?
    No thanks

The only practical remedy even mentioned is to just remove the ability to bind from all dungeons and let the devil take the hindmost. Simple and utterly effective which means it is never happening.
    Overcast451 likes this.