Charaters crash after 4th toon

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Lorewood, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Lorewood Lorekeeper

I have been out the last few months ill and tried to log my normal cohort on today. I can load 4 accounts on fine but when I go to load a 5th it crashes .. I have tried various combinations and it crashes on the 5th every time as the toon zones into the world from character select. I haven't changed anything on my computer other then windows update stuff. Same GPU same memory etc. I normally play with 7 toons logged on with no problems. 6 playing and one as a guild hall sitter. The only thing that strikes me differant is my cpu's do not look like they are distributing the load like they used to i/e with 4 toons loaded right now cpu0-2 are at 100% while 3-7 are barley used. That used to be all of them would be 50-60% with all 7 loaded.

Is there a windows or EQ setting that as changed to cause this or does anyone have a clue what my be wrong or how I can fix this ?

I'm not sure the affinity settings in ini works anymore because I should have 1 account 1 cpu ratio but it doesn't seem to be working either, if that is even part of the problem. how i used to be set up was account 1 =cpu1, 2=cpu2 etc. with cpu0 doing the system stuff (8 cores) 7 toons.

any help or direction would be appreciated!
  2. Lorewood Lorekeeper

So...the problem turned out to be windows 10 and apparently eqgame.exe has gotten some bloat.
    EQ is running at about 1.5 Gig per instance ( remember when 64MB was all that was needed ? ) but the problem is on my system windows wasn't freeing standby memory and my virtual memory was set to low. So what was happening even though I had 10-12 gig free memory ( but all free-mem was on standby ) windows wasn't releasing it because i guess it tries to swap standby memory to disk before releasing it ? anyway I set the page file bigger and used RAMMap.exe to empty the standby list and all my toons loaded as normal.

So if anyone else runs into this odd crashing out of the blue. load up resource monitor and see if your standby memory is stuck with no free space showing and that your page file is large enough or system managed. ( which has it's own problems if too big, huge disk dumps ).

In my case I had plenty of memory but windows was hiccuping when allocating it to EQ or it was taking to long and EQ would puke, not sure which but EQ was only thing crashing on the system.

warning event 2004----Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition in the windows logs was my clue to this.

again weird because I haven't changed the page file since I installed win 10 when it came out .....
  3. Azzdaar092608 New Member

I am having what seems to be similar issues. EQ crashing to black screen with 1 to 4 accounts up at once. Started happening within the last few weeks I'd say. Completely unplayable now. Any idea if anything has changed with EQ file or Windows 10 updates? Also, upon opening task manager while running EQ, I notice that the disk % goes up to 100% at times. Have not been able to verify that this is a virtual memory problem like Lorewood above but who know? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks.