Character Lockouts vs Account-Wide Lockouts

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Brazy, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Brazy Augur

Oakwynd decided to make lockouts linked to the character over account wide and I think this was one of the best changed brought to TLPs in a long time. Playing alts on the same account is actually a valid option with this change.

I really hope Darkpaw considers adding this to all new TLP's even if they don't have heirloom/free trade.

PS: If you want us to buy Personas they should have their own separate lockouts. Thanks :)
    Ginix!, Juskov, Krizem and 9 others like this.
  2. natedogg Journeyman

I'll second this. have seperate lockouts for characters on the same account - and for personas as well.
  3. Goraim New Member

Great change hope to see it again on the next TLP
  4. Brazy Augur

Please let the new servers have AoC lockout tied to Characters not the account! I like playing/raiding on alts!
    Krand likes this.
  5. Kahna Augur

They don't want to pull Oakwynd rules and risk pulling Oakwynd players who are there because of those rules. That is one of the perks of the Oakwynd server. Just gotta make boxes if you want to raid on alts.
  6. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

It was actually the worst part about oakwynd. With the heirloom tag everyone and the brother and sister just needed all the typical no drop quest stuff that would usually rot for their level 1 to do a quest - of which would 99% chance they would never actually ever playing that character.

Then having character instead of account lockouts devolved into having clone characters to raid multiple times a week in the same zones on the same class. It had the same negative effect as 1/2 lockouts on Selos.

Character lockouts could work if you simply remove that heirloom tag to prevent that need for cloning characters. It also would not work on a free trade server. It would devolve into excessive raiding to funnel gear.

Character lockouts only work on a true no trade server like Tormax - would be a good spot for them to do something like that.
  7. HelpMeLearn New Member

While we're at it can we get replay timers changed back to 30min. If people wanna waste time and be sweaty let them. 2.5 days is overkill.
    maxisbored likes this.
  8. Brazy Augur

It's only AoC lockouts that are account wide right? Non-AoC is character dependent lockout right?
  9. Intercept Augur

No thank you, this just led to people selling raid gear to lvl 1s, no thank you can do that on mischief clone already
  10. Brazy Augur

What? This is to be able to raid on alts on the same account so I can enjoy raiding in multiple guilds/friend groups.

Selling raid gear to level 1's has nothing to do with this...
  11. Gnomie Denser than most

Correct.
    Brazy likes this.
  12. Brazy Augur

Gotcha, so lame
  13. Basak Augur

I love the character based lockouts. Being able to raid with multiple characters on the same day, or the day after, or whatever else, is a lot of fun to be able to play the game more. Oakwynd has been a lot of fun being able to have so many options available without restricting to one or two raids.
    Brazy likes this.
  14. Brazy Augur

Well it seems like all lockouts except AoC are already this way.

No idea why they decided for AoC to lock your whole account to a raid. I always get bored with EQ, especially early on when there are so few raids, and I"m locked from my main and unable to do it on an alt with a different guild that I enjoyed leveling but is now stuck in progression.

Seems like an oversight tbh.
  15. Basak Augur

Yeah. It just doesn't make sense. They have it character based on Oakwynd, why not elsewhere?
  16. Feelax New Member

In other games like WoW I can raid on my alts.. Why does this game limit raiding to only one character? That's sad to learn I can only raid on one character.
  17. fransisco Augur

Because EQ drops gear that is usable. Most of the crap in wow is unwanted and the random lottery bs, so you gotta do the same dungeons/raids/whatever over and over hoping something drops that anyone there wants.
  18. Brazy Augur

The fact you can level alts but then not raid on them because you are locked out from your main seriously needs a fix.

Do the Devs just think people should level one character then only log in to raid on that one character?

Give our alts their own raid lockouts please! <3
  19. MileyVyrus Elder

No, its just that the people that play and level one character and actually willingly experience pickup groups and the hilarity of trying to implement need before greed on people playing together for the first time for their allotted 2 hours a night ...

Always seem to have loot issues. And QOL issues. They are like when private sector rallies to eliminate health care and retirement from public sector jobs instead of actually focusing energy on bettering their own situation.

If you don't have a hundred bucks or the slightest level of talent and aptitude to buy a pair of tiny laptops and eliminate 90% of the problems from your EQ existence.... Bless your heart.

Need Before Greed works when you and another dude box 3 each and accomplish pretty much whatever you want together. I assure you managing a mage a cleric and a warrior at the same time isn't as daunting as it might sound at first.

But if you insist on a limited time to play each day to try and frantically find 5 people who are gonna pull their weight, have the same loot ideology as you, and want to kill critters in the same zone.. You are probably the same person mad that someone who listens to podcasts when they play solitaire is smarter than you when you focus on solitaire.

Hell if you didn't try and fail to PUG PoP for the zillionth time in a row this year, you'd already have a 2nd laptop.. And your WAR/CLR or SK/SHM or whatever combo would be ready to accomplish more day one of the new server.

And i'm sure Karen is already fevorishly typing 'BUT YOU CANT TELL ME HOW TO PLAY AND MAKE ME" blah blah...

Here's the thing.. Boxers (and hell Botters for that matter) are the silent mountain of cash who don't squeak and sqwak and ask for things all day long.... in other words : Ideal Customers.

If you are in threads screaming about how loot should be distro'd in pickup groups. You are your own worst enemy and not DPGs target audience. You are spending 18 bucks a month and screaming about people who make one-time really small cash infusions for machinery to.. pretty much rule the world.

The vast majority of people you see running around with 2-6 toons in tow have spent the bare minimum to maximize their effectiveness playing eq. They arent all Kronolords, they are just people that realize they could get WORLDS more done by making an investment of a couple pawn store laptops or whatever. The people with one really amazing gaming PC who have chosen 25 year old EQ as their forum of entertainment have spent their computer resources poorly.

You shouldn't have to box to play this game. And you do not have to! But we *will* treat you as old men yelling at clouds when you get mad at other people that invest more into the game than you do... and get better rewards out of it. If you are watching your PUG on your 40 inch monitor and mad that 5 people you've never met before don't think your rogue needs the FBSS first, find the nearest mirror and channel your anger that direction. You are self-harming.
    Krizem, maxisbored and Dominate like this.
  20. Captain Video Augur

If you have alts at level cap then you don't have a main. You're free to raid using whichever character you choose as soon as the lockout timer expires. You can raid 3x a week on one account, with a different class each session if you so choose. Want to raid more often than that? Make another account.

The lockout timer exists to protect server performance. Indiscriminate creation of raid instances = daily server crashes. The timers ensure that everyone on the server who wants to raid gets a fair share of the resources available. Even with timers set the way they are now, Live servers can experience extreme raid lag, which can make certain raids all but unplayable. Players who only use TLPs in early eras don't realize how lucky they have it, to be able to avoid the serious raid lag.