Character and Guild Names

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Tebus, Oct 26, 2022.

1. Tebus New Member

Good morning!

Everquest being an older game, has had hundreds of thousands of characters created and sitting dormant on accounts. It is currently difficult to select a character or guild name that is not in use. I suggest that after 5 years of no activity, the name become available for usage, and if the owner or guild member does log on they will be prompted to select a new name.

V/r,
    Tebus
  2. Longtooth New Member

I completely agree with this. Selecting names for characters is such a pain. It gives the player a bad taste before they even get started in the game!
    Tebus likes this.
  3. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Just cause you can't get them does not mean they are on old accounts. Or not being used on current accounts. We have no way of knowing which is blocking you from getting the name. It could even be against naming policy. And doing a /who is no way to tell if that player is out on vacation or just not on at the same time you are.

I am able to get many very very popular names recently. Ones that I thought would have been taken years ago. So it could be they were taken recently by me or someone else and you were just late to the party. I see a lot of popular names in the low zones on new characters too.

Keep in mind that the names are tied to the account and ergo the reputation of that player. I doubt they can release for reuse the names of accounts that have been banned and I would not want that name anyway cause everyone would think I was that bad player.

But if they released it then you would have no idea the players rep was trash. Like he bilked other players out of massive amounts of Krono and you go to log on and get covered in tells about how everyone wants their money back.

5 years is not long at all. I would really be ticked if the character I played for 15 years was renamed cause I took a 5 year break.

When a player returns after many years and they petition to find their old account then how is support to help them if they gave the name away? It can be a major part of account recovery.

Get creative on your spelling or just let the game generate a name. I vote no on this.
    Gialana, Elyssanda, Mossaa and 5 others like this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I agree with the above poster with a "no" vote.

Guild names esp should never be released for reuse due to the long standing reputation of said guild. There are ways to change leadership of guild now if that is the problem. Why should you be allowed to create a guild name of long standing and take credit for all the great things they did in the past?

Its server based for character names. Game-wide for guild names and first come first serve. That is why the massive rush to TLP when they open or before they open to get favorite names.

What leads you to believe the name is on an old account? There could be many reasons you could not get the name you wanted. That's just logical fallacies.
  5. Flatchy Court Jester

I gotta ask, what "popular" names?
  6. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Well, not going to give it away cause I might want to get it on a TLP server in the future. But its a well known member (sort of) of the royal family and another is related to outer space. Both made in the last 6 months. And just look around you at the new names or go into newplayer chat and see.
  7. Shillingworth Augur

This point. Not sure if it's the case or not but currently on Bertox there is a guild named "Dragoncouncil". In the past "Dragon Council" was one of 3 raiding guilds that was able to raid at the bleeding edge, which was a huge achievement at the time. A lot of guilds broke trying to get through the elemental planes, so making it to the plane of time was a huge achievement. Having been in one of the 2 guilds that was their direct competition, I let out an audible sigh of disappointment when I seen that.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  8. phattoni Augur

ive gotten a few good names recently on live servers, i also have toons that i havent logged in in 10+ years, why should i lose the names? i picked them to begin with, and at some point ill return to the char.

and guild names should never be able to be reused, they are tied to a guild, and that guild at one point had a reputation tied to that name, bad or good. even if the guild disbanded 10+ years ago.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and CatsPaws like this.
  9. Astefin Journeyman

I agree with the NO. Could you imagine if you were still playing and all of a sudden you hit your friends list to see who is on and all of a sudden, the character name you used to play with 6 hours a day for 10 years all of a sudden is online and you haven't talked to them in 6 or 7 years?

I would be pumped and excited, but then you get told, "nope, I just made this character and went anon, cool name though, huh?" or a "No, that's not me, their character has been inactive too long, so I got the name, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night."

It would leave a bad taste in a lot of players mouths and as stated above, lead to some feel bads for the people that might return. I have taken SEVERAL multiyear breaks from this game. Doesn't mean when I come back that I am not excited to see my old characters. I don't want to come back to the name being ***-RENAME CHARACTER TO PLAY-***

That would make me say NOPE, and sign right back off and leave EQ forever in the rear-view mirror of life.

Think of a new name, swap the spelling, find a random name generator, or whatever, but don't try and take names back from others. I have characters from decades ago that I set name aside and a few of them I played and leveled, some of them no. Doesn't mean I want to give you that name now.

So a big, LARGE.. GIANT... NO THANK YOU!
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  10. Herf Augur

[IMG]
    Iven and Nennius like this.
  11. Iven the Lunatic

Such a bad suggestion. Many players do constantly return after 20 years (1999-2005) and would be pretty p***** off if their PC and guild names would be gone. Just be creative, popular names like Drizzt and Frodo would make you look silly anyways.

Ohforf'sake is the way to go !
  12. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

That's not how friend's list or ignore works. ;) It is tied to the character object, not the string value alone.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Just a bad idea because there are server reputations attached to specific spellings of names. Good or bad those reps should stick to the players who made them and not to the next person to pick the name.
    Herf likes this.
  14. Herf Augur

The server merges are bad enough, tacking on 'x' to any name that duplicates across servers.

On the plus side it did create a bunch of gen. x'ers who bonded ;)
    Nennius likes this.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Hopefully they bonded and are staying in their own safe spaces.
    Iven and Loup Garou like this.
  16. Iven the Lunatic

Those are twin souls.
    Nennius likes this.
  17. Aethervox New Member

It isn't that difficult to find a unique name even after over 20 years of EQ. Isn't a character name only for one server? There are many sources or lists of names one could use if one didn't like the in game EQ random name generator. &, yes, some players might return after years of being away from EQ so you shouldn't allow previously taken names to be re-used. I have 1999 character names, as well, as unique names created in 2022 (that's 23 years apart & was NP). Be creative.
    birdsong_pawn and CatsPaws like this.
  18. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Personally I would pay for exclusive naming rights on the game, that would be applicable to all future servers. But Darkpaw doesn't like money, so the first tell to a person you used to know is usually something like, "Hey, do we know each other?"