/char command......

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kelefane, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Kelefane Augur

Ok, but in the petitions and them saying that they cant change what it says under the /char command, are they just being lazy? Or is that something that they can actually change? Perhaps I am wording the petition wrong and they are not quite understanding what I am needing done?
  2. Kelefane Augur

This is what they are saying:
  3. Wuttever Augur

True. Sorry about miscalling it.
  4. Wuttever Augur

True, but it did bug me so much I did finally delete the character. Just over that. I could have race changed back to the original, but I wanted the new race more than I wanted the character levels, so I just remade and started over.

Because they can't get that part of the file right, I personally suspect some other part of the file is likely wrong as well. If I can see a big ole mole hill of a mistake, I figure there is likely a mountain of mistakes there somewhere... something like that.
  5. clark53 Journeyman

The command /setstartcity changes your origin location. You can use the command only once. It was offered so that the default setting now which is Crescent Reach for all could be changed for those that wanted it to be old start city. If you have already used it you will get a error line saying that you cannot use it since you have already done so. I created a human necro and changed it and origin sends me to East Freeport right in front of my guildmaster. /charinfo list my current bind point and then my origin location.You are currently bound in: Bazaar, West Freeport. Even tho it list West Freeport it ports me to East Freeport.
    Leerah likes this.
  6. Kelefane Augur

So your original starting city was CR? Then you later changed it to Freeport and now your /charinfo's second line says freeport and not CR?
  7. clark53 Journeyman

To answer your question yes. Now that being said I did create that character some time ago. I tried doing the same thing with a few of my low level characters that I know that I have not done that with and also created a couple to try the /setstartcity command. Got the you cant do this message because you already did it once. I noticed that when you create a character you can choose the start city in the character creation screen but the default is CR. I guess they count the once when you get the chance at the creation of the toon. So it did work for me in the past but it seems not to be working the same way anymore, at least not for me. If you do a /help normal the command is still listed as well.
  8. Leerah Augur

The GMs can reset the flag that makes that command work.
  9. Kelefane Augur

Yeah, its a bug. I just had a Senior GM come into game and we worked together and did and tried everything that he and I knew to do. He even gave me that /setstartcity option three different times and nadda. So in other words, that second line under /charinfo (ie your Origin point) that line of text cannot be changed at all. The Senior GM did however say that hes heard of some folks having that line of text change on its own over time after a race change. Why? No clue. Weird though. I do know that my Monks never changed and he was created several years ago. He was an Iksar to start out, race changed him to Human for a few years, then back to Iksar. That line of text never changed on him.

The reason that this hasnt been pointed out earlier, is likely due to the fact that not many folks who have race changed knew about that /charinfo command and have never seen it.

He said the best thing that we can do, is to point this out to the devs on the forums and PMs. /bug it and /feedback it in game etc.

In the end though, im not sure how big of a deal that this honestly is besides it being an eyesore when typing /charinfo. The biggest fear, is that raids like SL (Murderer) that pulls your characters information maybe confusing due to it (if this bit of info even effects raid mechanics like that) - So yeah, that is the biggest fear right now, raid mechanics like that pulling old information from your character that is no longer applicable - Like being an Iksar from Antonica.........../confuse:confused:
  10. Tegila Augur

arent you showing THREE zones though on yours? or was that soemone else in sk caht earlier? rather than just bind/origin, they were listing bind, something, origin, and it was an sk i just forget which
  11. Khat_Nip Meow

I mentioned earlier in serverwide that that's what my /char shows, Tegila.
    [IMG]
    Elricvonclief and Kelefane like this.
  12. Kelefane Augur

Interesting. I wonder how "The Bloodfields" got on yours? Any idea? Did you ever bind there in the past? That looks like a bug too.

And nah, mine just shows two. "The Guild Lobby" and "Nektulos Forest" (which I tried getting changed to The Field of Bone) :(
  13. Tegila Augur

yeah that was it. quite itneresting taht one, but then again y'are an sk that sounds like a vah shir's chew toy so could be lotta things confused about ya lol
  14. Khoza Augur

Can't speak to the raid, but I assume it's the same mechanics as group...

Some friends and I run this often. One is a gnome who started way way back, so his home city is Ak'Anon. Rather, it WOULD be Ak'Anon, if Silver accounts weren't auto-forced to CR. (Even a character who pre-dates CR, which bugs me to no end. I'm a long time player, I don't need CR hold-my-hand-while-lagging-me-out.) Anyway... When this character is selected as the murderer, we occasionally get the Continent clue. His says Antonica. (Ak'Anon is on Faydwer.) So it's reading the same stuff as Origin, I'd think, not what your /char says.
    Kelefane likes this.
  15. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The /setstartcity command was created after TSS (which came out after Origin) because characters who previously only had 1 option for home city now had 2, and the character data did not include a setting for starting city which is used occasionally for different things in the game; such as Origin and the LDoN message at 15+. The /setstartcity command can only be used if you do not have a start city already set for your character; which only applies/applied to very old characters created sometime before TSS that did not have the startcity data point filled. Anyone who made a character after the creation of the startcity data point has it set and (at least prior to FTP) could not use the command to change their origin point. I also believe that you can only choose starting cities which match your class options; i.e. as a human monk I couldn't choose Kaladim. I don't think you can choose outside your race/deity either but I'm not really sure.

Now, with the heavy restrictions of FTP the Dev's might have decided to open the command to make the command available for 1 time use by Gold members for characters that have CR as their home city but are not Drakkin; but I don't really remember seeing anything about it. If you had the character since before TSS then you probably already have used the command once.
  16. Leerah Augur

As long as the GMs are working with you, I'd be curious as to what happens with other races/dieties you might try. At any rate, make sure this gets posted in the bug forums so it doesn't get buried here.
  17. CrazyLarth Augur

i would of thought we see a change in /char in getting ready for the new EQplayers but

i would love to see them add more info to the /Char like all the info that was on EQplayers.
    If Eq players is dead?
  18. Dzarn Developer

Today's entirely unimportant 'did you know' about EverQuest covers: Bind Points.

An EverQuest player character has up to 5 bind locations, but only two of these really matter.

The first index bind location is the place you respawn when you die. This is the location set by the bind affinity spell. You'll notice in the spell data for bind affinity that the base effect value is 1, this means it is changing bind-location index 1.

The second bind location index is relevant for wizards and druids who use mark of travel. You'll notice the spell data for Mark of Travel is nearly identical to bind affinity except that its base effect value is 2, meaning it changes bind-location index 2.

Some of the confusion regarding these locations comes into play with the way that /charinfo works.
    The slash command /charinfo lists all of your bind locations with the caveat that it will not list the zone name of a bind point index if that zone name matches the previous index's zone name.

This becomes confusing because a newly created character will have all 5 bind locations set to their default starting location (so that there are no null-data errors.)

Some examples to clarify this behavior:
    1. I am a newly created Dark Elf Wizard that has never been bound anywhere. All five of my bind locations are my newbie starting yard of Nektulos Forest. When I use /charinfo, I see only the first index because all other 4 indexes match this.

2. I've been bound in a new zone for the very first time. My first bind location is now Freeport, but my other 4 locations are all Nektulos forest. So /charinfo is telling me, "Freeport", "Nektulos Forest".

3. I've leveled up and obtained a Mark of Travel which I'm going to use in Felwithe for some reason. My /charinfo is now telling me, "Freeport", "Felwithe", "Nektulos Forest".

4. I've gone mad with wizardly power and decided that I want my secondary bind location using the Mark of Travel to also be Freeport. /charinfo now tells me that my bind locations are "Freeport", "Nektulos Forest", listing Freeport only once even though index 1 and 2 are Freeport and 3, 4, and 5 are Nektulos.

It's a little confusing, like most of EverQuest... :)
  19. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I knew all of that already ;). Well, except that there are 5 points. What are the other 2 bind locations?
  20. Mary Poppins Augur

Nektulos Forest. :D
    Bigz_Zupdarty likes this.