Changing sound effects

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by tnot, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tnot Elder

Every time I gain an AA that Trumpet sound goes off, and my wife tells me she's going to stab me to death while I sleep. If I reduce the effects volume to where the trumpet is not making my ears bleed, then the trumpet is all I can hear and I can't hear anything else in the game...

What is the name of the Trumpet sound file, and how can I delete or replace it? thanks.
  2. Serriah_Test Augur

Here's the deal.
    As far as I can tell, when the patcher runs, it checks all of the files by CRC.

What does that mean?

1.) Can't replace it.
    2.) Can't delete it.
    3.) Can't rename it.

Well.. you can do 1, 2, and 3 but the patcher will fix it.
  3. tnot Elder

Could I make a copy of another of the sound files, and rename it to the trumpet sound files name? Problem is, I don't know which file is the trumpet sound, or I'd have tried already
  4. Serriah_Test Augur

A CRC is a hash table value that is used to ensure that the expected file is not corrupted.
    No, you can't do it, even if you figured out which file it was and it compressed in a packed global game resource.

The same thing was asked about a year ago. Same reply of "No!", but Elidroth said he'd tone down "offending sounds" if someone comprised a list.
    https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/aa-ding-sound.205150/

You should just get earphones and maybe poke the bear again and see if they actually changed the volume on the sounds, or if it was just another fake promise to add to the pile of fake promises.
  5. Tobynn Augur

EverQuest bundles many sounds into .pfs files. Essentially, the .pfs is a container filled with .wav audio files. Provided you have an application able to manage .pfs, yes it is possible to change a specific .wav file. You can replace it with some other sound, although you must use the same .wav file name if you want EQ to generate that new sound. You can also delete the .wav and never hear it again. The patcher looks for the .pfs container, its not at all concerned with the contents.

One of the things that complicates the process is the sheer number of .wav files contained within the 17 .pfs containers. A great number of the .wav files are named rather ambiguously, so it can be hellafun to hunt down a particular sound.

As I recall, the trumpet sound is named fanfaire.wav -- I don't recall within which .pfs it lives.
    Iila likes this.
  6. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

It's really up to us to compile the list, and we haven't. If someone doesn't do it soon, I'm going to submit the following list:

1. The AA ding sound.

Not listing the level up ding as that's rare and it's supposed to be shockingly loud.
  7. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

This link might help:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/thunder-and-rain-noise.196725/#post-2909376

Here's what it says:

Use the above at your own risk. I have not looked it up or anything.
    moogs and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  8. Ranpha Augur

So. Don't run the patcher then.

eqgame.exe patchme

It will happily run with changed sound files... like the bat screeching in Demiplane, the environment sound near the south brew barrel in POK, the repitious thunder (does it always thunder when it rains at the pacific coast?), the annoying explosions in Lavastorm, and so on....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.