Caster Box on Normal server.

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Thomasmgp, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Thomasmgp Elder

Im fairly new to boxing and right now im just playing 3 mages on TLP server because its idiot proof. Im about bored and thinking bout just starting fresh on a real server. Can 3 Mages still work if I use 2 cleric mercs and a tank merc? I dont really know how to customize a certain 3rd party program. With my current boxing skill I can really only play something where all my macros are the same. I tried boxing an Encahnter, Cleric, and Mage and it was an awful experience, made me feel really stupid, and gave me a migraine.
  2. Isule Elder

you wont need a tank merc, a wiz merc or a a 3rd cleric merc. Your pets will tank better. Also, you are better off with Enchanter, Mage Mage for CC and slows (in my opinion). Enchanters are also fair pullers, Crack, nuke buffs. Druid is also a good unit, heals, great Debuffs at higher levels (arguably better than enchanters at the high levels), same nuke buff basically.
  3. Necromonious Augur

As a suggestion you could try to sneak a bard in instead of a mage or enchanter. Bard synergizes ok with mage (probably not as good as enchanter) due to being able to give pets overhaste and the like. But the big draw for bard is that it is completely effortless.

For example, my lev 92 bard I just keep on /follow with a melody running as I powerlevel him. Have you seen what those lev 95+ bard auras can do? +40% more damage from spells just for standing near the bard. And selo's speed is addictive, you won't want to go without once you have it. Makes your pet into a speedy maniac, able to almost teleport to mobs it's so fast. Faster than mage's velocity AA even. Can help when you are trying to scoop up adds with pet

But realistically a 3box of just about anything can do most of the group stuff on live servers
  4. Khauruk Augur

>arguably better than enchanters at the high levels

Arguably better than Slow. The chanter combo of slow, cripple, Deep Sleep, possibly a -accuracy DoT and Mental Contortion (for nameds) will, I expect, destroy just druid debuffs.
  5. Sancus Augur

This is pretty meh for Mages. Almost half the time Fire Core or Elemental Union are up, which take precedence over the Bard effect (SPA 124 is not additive). Furthermore, this damage works like any other focus, meaning it does not crit. Finally, it doesn't effect rains at all. Personally I think the benefits, especially to RS pets (the haste aura will affect RS pets) is probably more valuable, and Fierce Eye/Epic are very nice. I'll note that this SPA does crit for DoTs, which might alter your perception of the DPS added a bit (think it was a different thread where you wrote more about that).

I agree with your general point though, a bard is a good choice for a 3rd toon if you don't want to give it much attention. Because the OP said he got a migrane boxing Mage/Enc/Clr, that might be right up his ally.

Enchanter/Druid/Mage is the most effective Mage 3-box IMO, but you said you (OP) disliked a pretty similar setup, that might not be the right choice. Mage/Mage/Mage definitely could work, but it's a bit limited in its utility (quite powerful though). For ease of use, Mage/Mage/Bard might be the best choice depending on how much effort you want to put in.
  6. Thomasmgp Elder

I might try mage/mage/bard with 2 wiz 1 cleric merc. Just use bard for pulling and /melody.
  7. strongbus Augur

wife dose a mage/necro/bst box crew. Depending on the fights she doing she runs 2 healer mercs and 1 wiz merc or 2 wiz merc and 1 healing merc. The bst is use as nothing more then a shammy with better pet but there is nothing she can't do. And its easy to box. She mains the necro and just marco the mage/bst for pets/nukes/heals/slows.
  8. Andronicus Elder

I 3 box Mage, Beastlord and Ranger. Mercs range from one cleric and 2 wiz....to 3 cleric if I'm doing a really tough named mob. But I usually use 2 cleric mercs and 1 wiz merc.

If I were starting from scratch I would probably replace the ranger with a bard.
  9. Thomasmgp Elder

decided to go with Mage/Mage/Enchanter. This way I can go full Dark Elf party. Also Im lazy and Druid seems like too much work.
  10. Nightops Augur

I would agree with you, if you are trying to 3 box, I would leave all healing to the mercs. You have pet heal spells for emergencies on both mages.

Enc or Bard would be the best choice. Enc has an easier time at CC, bard has an easier time at pulling. You would likely need to be a little more active on the enchanter to provide dps / adps then a bard.
    Sancus likes this.
  11. Yimin Augur

I have all 3 pet class Mage Nec Bst this is nice 3 box for me , not much I can not do in the group game with this set up , and all 3 can solo if you get sick of boxing , I never need tank merc with my pets
    this is a waste of merc healing or dps imo

Yimin