[Cash on Delivery] in Parcel system

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rannie168, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Rannie168 New Member

Please the development team add an [Cash on Delivery] option in parcel system, or current trade between players is too inconvenient. Even after SoL launching with the Bazaar, this CoD function will still be a good add-on.
    Critt likes this.
  2. Venthos Augur

The forums are not the place for this. Posting feature requests here is pretty much just a self-assurance hug box. Your best bet is to utilize the feature request system they've explicitly setup for stuff like this.

https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQ-120?filter=11904

Literally setup to accept feature requests just like this one. This doesn't mean posting there guarantees they'll add it, but it's the correct procedure to do so and increases your chances of serious consideration.

Surprisingly, searching for "cod" and "parcel" turns up nothing, so nobody seems to have even properly notified DBG of this feature. Go add it, and link it in your original post and encourage people to chime in on it at the dgcissuetracker.com site.
  3. Pictarous Augur

Good link, this would be something great to get people on...although I dont really have much faith in it being done. Still, CoD is just a plain good idea with all the parcel nonsense that occurs
  4. Poydras Augur

seems like this feature gets abused to scam newbies or anyone who happens to click too fast and not read carefully in other games.
  5. Venthos Augur

Could always adapt the UI so that instead of the "Okay/Yes" dialog that humans have been trained to blow past, the same cash deposit window opens when you go to send PP through parcel pops up. Then you have to manually deposit the required CoD fee being asked for into the parcel system before it lets you pull it. This way it requires someone literally putting platinum on their cursor and dropping it into the parcel system versus a "Should we auto-withdraw funds? Yes/No" box.

However, point remains, this discussion misses every set of eyes who is charged with reviewing feature requests if we keep it on the forums and neglect to open a case for it on the issue tracker.
  6. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

In a perfect world with unlimited time, paychecks, and other resources I think this would be worth pursuing, because it would definitely be a nice QoL update for young TLP's, but in the grand scheme of things I think this is hard to justify. It requires code and UI changes, isn't a big deal once a TLP hits Luclin, and compared to getting Phinny ready for Kunark, let alone fixing live (have you seen all the TBM fixes?), I just don't see how CoD parceling makes it on the dev to do list.
  7. TarewMarrForever Augur

Really like this idea in theory, you should submit it as Venthos suggests. However, there are caveats with this wrt griefing and/or extortion.

As such, I recommend some additions:

Timeout (To): in addition to specifying the plats due, you also should have the option of specifying a timeout in days (say 1-10). If payment is not made and the parcel retrieved prior to timeout, it automatically parcels back to sender. Without this, you will have griefing galore with players promising to buy something an then letting the item sit in limbo in perpetuity. Just to be dikwads. For rare items, I see players abusing this so that they have the one of few (or only) item that is on market at that time. So it's just not about griefing, it could be used as a competiive advantage, and clearly DBG does not have the manpower to police this.

Return to Sender (RtS): Similarly, there should also be a manual RTS (Return to Sender) option so that you can return an unwanted / unpaid for item without the seller having to wait for the aforementioned timeout. This is a nice convenience thing so that if you ended up getting the item elsewhere while seller was offline, you can simply send it back to him.

Without these two additions, a CoD system would be fraught with abuse. Heck, even with them I see people being jerks, tying up other item for 24 hours from honest sellers.

One barrier I see to this whole scheme is the hard limit of 50 parcel slots. They'll have to have a way to handle overflow better than the item poofing. Increasing it won't avoid the problem, as whatever the number is, no matter how big it is, an abuser will hit it. We already know that, based on recent info on the Shadowrest corpses, that there is no mechanism for handling overflow beyond 50.

Currently, you can't send somebody something if they are full. So manual RtS could do this as well. No worries there.

But the automated timeout returns, which as per above is clearly as necessity to prevent griefing, needs a way to handle overflow, and clearly no such mechanism exists today. Sure you could simply prevent returns once you are full, but that is still a problem!!! You have simply replaced the buyer as being the potential griefer with the seller being the potential griefer:

* I farm or buy hundreds of cheap items (bat wings, bottle of milk, spices, cup of flour, etc.)
    * I send 50 of them to myself (50 separate transactions), filling my quota, making additional sends to me *as well as returns* impossible
    * I then pick the few dozen or so people I do not like, and send them bone chips for 100p each. One at a time. I fill up their 50 slots.
    * You have now held their parcel queue hostage. They can't pull the junk items w/o paying 100p ransom per item. They can't send them back because the sender (you!) is full.

On solution is you would need to add a "destroy" button so that you could remove something without paying for it, or sending it back. Of course, then people could grief by destroying something they had no intention of paying for. I'm sure there are other solutions, but I think I've proven my point. ;-) On the surface this system sounds great...but clearly it's not as simple as you think.

Perhaps a new Returns tab which only has items you have had sent back to you, separate list from the 50 in Parcel queue. This could also have a limit of 50 each. That helps, but still not fool-proof.

While at it, a great accompanying feature would be a new Pending tab, which shows the list of all things you have sent that have not yet been retrieved, along with any plat due and "time remaining", if any. So that way you an see when you have stuff coming back to you, and it's up to YOU to make sure you don't have more out there the you have room in your Returns queue. If you see Pending (30) an Returns (30), you are at risk. If the sum of these two numbers are <=50, you're OK.

That system would work. That covers your bases.

That is also a lot of work.

Or, just wait for bazaar. ;-)

Edit: Another (simpler) option instead of Timeout optional would be the ability to Recall an item (from the new Pending tab) that has not yet been successfully retrieved after 24 hour standard timeout. That way players do not have control over the time, and you cannot Recall an item that you do not have room for in your queue.

But you are still left with the possibility of griefing as a seller filling up somebody's parcels with junk items for money, while at the same time filling up your Returns so they can't return them.

Frankly, the only way to do this is to allow then to return the items, regardless, and if you don't have enough room, they poof. The buyer can't know this though. It's your responsibility as the seller to make sure you have more room in Returns than you have Pending. If you do not, and if a bunch of people return stuff, some may poof. That is why you need visually 3 tabs, and 3 visible numbers.

Bazaar is looking better all the time...but I do think the magic combination is:

- CoD option on Send (plat amt due) on existing Parcels tab.
    - Return To Sender button on Parcels tab so that you can return an item to the sender *without* retrieving it!
    - Pending (or In Transit) tab that shows ALL outstanding parcels you have sent: Item, To, Amt Due, and if available a RECALL button that yanks the item back to you (only available after say 24 hours). This itself is a great feature and will save RL paperwork!!
    - Returns tab that shows all of your returns. This is essentially a second parcel stack, but contains only items you have already sent, but the recipients returned them *without* receiving them (ie using the above Return To Sender button).

I think that would do it!

Actually, this shouldn't be *too* difficult to build, and I agree it would get used a *lot*!!!
    Zuleyin, Felicite and PathToEternity like this.
  8. Darkening Lorekeeper

It gets used, on regular servers, you don't even have to go to the bazaar anymore, just be near a parcel guy.

If you don't wanna take the risk of using the parcel system in it's current state, then don't shop until you're in Commons. Simple as that really.

They have to much to do right now with fixing all of the other stuff AND getting Phin ready for Kunark instancing, lets not take away from that please.
    Sophism likes this.
  9. Sophism Lorekeeper

Excellent / well thought out points.

^ But ultimately, this.
  10. TarewMarrForever Augur

The bazaar still has the issue with 2 million plat limit too, right? Or was that finally fixed? I can't remember if this issue also existed for F2F trades?

I may be wrong, but my understanding is parcel system does not have this limit. That's one of the reasons the parcel folks are placed next to the bank.

Also, you can't run a true bid-auction with the Bazaar. You can with /auction. People do that all the time on Live for high end items. Or at least they did heavily back in '12 when I was still on Live.

Of course, such transactions are exactly the kind you would *never* parcel today because it is a trust system, and not a brokered transaction!

It seems to me that having a way to do both online *and* offline brokered, guaranteed transactions of any arbitrary size would be quite beneficial to Live, an obviously also to TLP.

After all, aren't Krono > 2million on some of the Live servers?
  11. cladari New Member

Without an expiration date on the parcel system it can be used as extra bank space. I agree with COD and will use the link to suggest it.