Cannot get to Char Select

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by bloodbeard, Jun 10, 2020.

1. bloodbeard Elder

I can login just fine and get to Server Select, but upon choosing a server a blank window opens and just sits there. It LOCKS down everything on the computer. I can ctrl-alt-del and see that task manager starts, but CANNOT access task manager... Windows Explorer or any other app/area of windows is unaccessible. Alt-Tabbing, I can see that Task Manager shows EQ as Not Responding, but I have no way to close it, minimize it, step on it, poke it, or do anything other than alt-tab. Even tried windows powershell, but once open I cannot access it to do anything.

I have validated all files. I checked the eqclient.ini to see if game was trying to load as Windowed, but it is set to False.
  2. Shadorunner New Member

I am having the same problem, When I select server a blank window opens and the screen freezes and locks my pc. What can I do to fix this?
  3. bloodbeard Elder

I have even gone so far as to rename the Everquest folder, and completely reinstall the game. I logged in once, locked up on the way OUT of char select to server select, and now I cannot get past the blank window freeze. Hopefully, some dev will actually come in here and answer.

I also put in a ticket with them, but have not heard back yet.
  4. Sihari New Member

I have the same problem...i have to force the reboot of my laptop several times until it allows me to enter chars window and then game. Sucks so bad...
  5. bloodbeard Elder

Wow.. you get in ? I have not gotten into game since this started the night before last. It doesn't matter how many times I force a restart/reboot.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Done a windows 10 update?
  7. bloodbeard Elder

Yes, Yinla. The update did not immediately affect my ability to play, but there was a recent one.
  8. Shadorunner New Member

I have done Win 10 update, reloaded EQ, reloaded DX and anything else I can find to do on the web and still PC locks up after server select. Nothing works to fix this. I guess EQ is broken and might be time to end subscription after 14 years of playing.
  9. bloodbeard Elder

Go to Bug Reports forum and Like first post there... the more likes something gets the more the devs pay attention I guess?
  10. MrOptimism457 New Member

So I've found a work around. This is a shockingly old issue that was supposedly "fixed", but I'm having this issue on my laptop after a recent system update.

For whatever reason, the game keeps forcing itself into windowed mode when you go to character select, and when you try to log out from character select. My best assumption is that this is a resolution/windowed mode error.

What I did to fix this is I went to the Eqclient.ini file (i forget the exact name, I'm at work) and I hit control+f to find every entry of "windowed". For the line that says "WINDOWEDMODE=FALSE" , change the "FALSE" to "1" so it reads "WINDOWEDMODE=1". then, hit find again to find the lines that dictate the height and width of the windowed setting, and make sure it matches your resolution setting, so 1920× 1080 for example. Then save, right click the EQClient.ini file, and make it read only. Keep in mind, you will not be able to save any settings after doing this.

LASTLY!!!! when you're finished playing, type /camp desktop to fully log out of the game, or you will get locked in that windowed mode again. Yes, this is stupid and a frustrating work around, but it's the only way I could figure out how to save my sanity. Hopefully it helps.
  11. bloodbeard Elder

I remember now that I did something similar to this a while back. I will try it again. You are still able to camp to char select to switch chars right? Just don't quit from the char select?
  12. MrOptimism457 New Member

@Bloodbeard that's right! Once I'm in game, I don't have an issue switching characters. I just run into errors again when I try to quit from character select.
  13. Cheopis Journeyman

I am having the same problem. I have two subscribed accounts that I play regularly, and also tried it on a third unsubscribed account that I have not played for years.

One of the two subscribed accounts finally managed to connect after multiple attempts, but the other two have never made it to character select.

Unfortunately the account that connected is my offline bazaar character account, not an account with characters that I play.
  14. Cheopis Journeyman

15. bloodbeard Elder

Thank you, Cheopis! In the meantime, you may want to completely reinstall windows (using the method where documents are left in place), drivers, and then EQ. I did this and it got me past the issue for now.