Can we make housing Viable

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kirkisx, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Kirkisx Tunare's Chosen Paladin

Housing was a great concept that went to waste... there used to be votes for best houses... can the devs make housing viable... maybe more unique houses.. maybe bring old market items to a merchant or loyalty vendor.. make old achieves grant housing items like the collects from CotF did PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!
    Hegsheoshed likes this.
  2. Bigstomp Augur

There are unique houses. But then for achievements they had to make them non-unique. My hermits hovel used to be about the only one on bristle, then they made it easier to get.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I gave up on housing when mine all vanished. Most of it is still in my item overflow. Still stuff missing.
  4. Burdi Augur

Dev stated that the housing code was to complicated and nobody understands it anymore.
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

I would love if housing items were drops in expansions.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Housing is the best solution we have for storage, so as far as I'm concerned, it's a complete success :)
    Hegsheoshed and Elyssanda like this.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I blame the marketplace!
    I think DBG stopped making furniture attainable in-game, because they want players to spend DBC to get it instead...
    In fact, quests rarely give any "fun" rewards nowadays, the only exception are the anniversary-quests. Standard-quest rewards have had almost non-existent itemization, ever since they introduced the marketplace...:(
    Vumad likes this.
  8. Paladin Augur

I don't understand how housing is not viable. IMO it is essential, particularly if you use personal tribute (trophies) and as huge boost to storage place (as you can own 3 homes).

As for a variance in 'looks' -- that depends on how creative you are and your creative use of items. Look around at other houses.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

I have two houses. They serve my purposes well. For me they are very viable.
    KarmaKitty likes this.
  10. Bigstomp Augur

Interesting. Got a quote? Housing code is relatively new (compared to other code) so I would have assumed it would be well documented and easy to understand.
    Fenthen and Nennius like this.
  11. Hekaton Augur

housing came in around house of thule and lots of the dev staff got trimmed after the darkened sea when sony sold to daybreak. some of those people might have had a hand in housing
    KarmaKitty likes this.
  12. Droctrebor Journeyman

I would like to see Guild Halls have free placement within a guild purchased neighborhood. Not sure if that complicates matters but would make it more convenient and a bit more interesting.
  13. jeskola pheerie

It would be cool if I could tell people at work who ask for things "yeah that guy quit, so... "
    Fenthen likes this.
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Housing would need a HUGE revamp. Huge relating to effort. Effort relating to cost. Cost relating to viability of concept. Viability relating to your comment. I have a better chance of winning 10 Powerball lotteries in a row than this does.

I like the idea. But unraveling the mess of player housing and then rebuilding it is not in the cards now.
  15. Bardy McFly Augur

It's not that it can't be done, it's the it isn't as easy as asking a guy that was involved in the original code "hey, go tweak X". For someone to work on housing now, they may need to dedicate someone to review the original 300,000 or whatever lines of code to decipher what might need to be changed and how to do so without breaking anything else. Without an SME it takes a lot more time and resources to do something, which until recently DPG has had precious little of to work with.
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Wish ToV or CoV gave us a igloo housing :) least on the collectors level.
    Fenthen likes this.
  17. Fenthen aka Rath

Instead they take the time to nuke all NPC bodytypes ;)
  18. Windance Augur

I don't see what the point of the request is. It works. They fixed the bug were all the anchors went poof. Housing is "viable"

I've seen some pretty impressive plots just using the housing tools that are available.

The most amazing one I've seen was in our guild hall. Someone made a full up dragon sculpture using about 200 disk shaped blocks.

I would be cool to start a campaign to publish and vote on various user submitted housing projects.
    Paladin and Tatanka like this.
  19. baby-iksar Journeyman

They could never restore my missing (paid) items from the last 'how do databases work? oopsies' event last time. I would steer clear of relying on this feature.