Can we fix the lag instead of just "addressing" it?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cadira, Aug 28, 2022.

1. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

smh. drink the kool aid and believe everything they tell you while I will continue to prove them wrong by physically testing

Not going to engage in a semantic argument with certain posters on these forums as they are woefully under armed.
  2. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Alright, where's your test report? Is there going to some quantitative analysis or some method to your procedure? Or are you just going to be say that it is fine for you, so it's not a problem?

You fail to grasp simple concepts such as locked and free. So, I'm not putting too much weight into your "tests."
  3. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

4. Cicelee Augur

I was going off memory with regards to 25 million and 7 minutes. I don't remember the exact numbers, sorry. I am also sorry that some people look at numbers and automatically etch them in stone and make them permanent fact. Especially when informed that it is being recalled from memory and not a log file or parse.

The amount of DPS that swarm pet AA does is not shaving minutes off of a guild's parse. We are talking one, two, *maybe* three seconds.

Yes. I am more than willing to lose the minuscule amount of DPS (in the grand scheme of things) on a raid if it meant the raid would have a lag free environment. There has been times when on a raid, I would be frozen from anywhere from 2% of a boss health to as much as 20%. I remember one Netherbian Commander raid where we all hit burns on named going active, and the next spell I could cast Commander was at 82. So if swarm AA was removed from raid instances and that would allow me to not be lagged out from 100 to 82... yes. I (and many others) would like a lag free zone.

And all of this, naturally, is if it is proven that swarm AA pets are a significant/primary/top 3 source of lag. And only a red name can prove it, we as players just speculate and use the eye test.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  5. Shillingworth Augur

While what I'm going to say is anecdote, what you stated in the second sentence there really explains something I seen. Since I returned to the game in June I was surprised by how not laggy it was for me when I seen so many complain. Over the past 2 to 3 weeks however things began to get really laggy for me despite seeing none of the usual tech problems to cause it. What did change was that I completed an entire expansion worth of Hunter achievements to unlock a bunch of large bags. Also got lucky on some random dropped ones while doing so. So both my character, my bank, and my shared bank got considerable storage expansion very fast. The timing certainly matches but correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation.
    Metanis and Skrab like this.
  6. dwish Augur

I'm not sure about other servers, but on FV the raid lag has been markedly improved over the past month or so. We have gone from getting at least 50% lagged raid events for multiple months in a row like clockwork, to not having a single lagged event for going on close to 4 weeks now. This is with 50+ people in raid most nights as well.

I'm sure this is just some strange aberration and the lag will return soon with a vengeance, but I was really hoping they just MIGHT be making some headway with this issue and we are starting to see the results. I'm not sure what to think anymore, but I do know raiding has been 1000% more enjoyable over the past few weeks.
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

I think if swarm pets were shown to be a major cause of lag then the dps gain from removing lag would outweigh the loss from removing swarm pets. Be nice if they could fix the servers though so that wouldnt be necessary.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The keyword there is if and as of now there is no evidence to show that they are a major source of the lag just people making suggestions to change them to see if they are a major source of the lag.
  9. dwish Augur

Well it seems I jinxed myself as after 3-4 weeks of smooth raids with zero lag, it returned with a vengeance last night. 6 raid events, all terribly lagged. Back to losing ~40% of my personal dps as a pet class (BST). Honestly I’m ready to eat massive nerfs due to combat mechanic changes if this is what it will take to finally stamp out this issue. This needs to be THE focus going forward as it is completely ruining the raiding aspect of the game.
    Metanis and Fenthen like this.
  10. Zunnoab Augur

Yeah it was really bad last night. I lost internet access after our first event but on Zelnithak mob pathing virtually halted for long periods of time.
    Metanis likes this.
  11. Tucoh Augur

I hold Beastlords and Bards accountable for most of the lag. Here is a recording of how fast Beastlords swing

[IMG]

Meanwhile, they're kicking out a high-uptime HHE buff to e'rbody, spamming out procs, pet procs and constantly yelling at the moon so loud they spawn up to 4 swarm pets to smother the server hamsters.
    Metanis likes this.
  12. dwish Augur

I agree with you, although I personally don't use swarm pets on raids as they add such miniscule DPS for a BST at least.

All I know is the game is going to continue to bleed raiders (which are generally some of the more dedicated players in game) if they don't start really addressing this issue, whether it's through combat mechanic changes, hardware upgrades, or some other solution.

After having a 3 week stretch or so of lag free raids recently (which is by far the longest stretch of lag free raids we have had during ToL), I had forgotten how enjoyable raiding actually is when it's working correctly.
    Tucoh likes this.