Can they really enforce a no-bot server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Riptide666, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Riptide666 Elder

Given the inability to quickly deal with fully automated botters now, how will this ever work when botters are likely to figure out ways around any walls that are "coded" in? Are there any games that successfully do this without using a ton of CS to enforce it, which DBG is unlikely to adequately do?
  2. Lateryn Augur

Its "BOX" not "no-bot"..

Neither of which they can stop.
    Sourire and Soltara like this.
  3. Riptide666 Elder

IMHO, a waste of time. Time better spent figuring out a way to instance everything.
    Sourire and Sebbun like this.
  4. Catashe Augur

IDK... Can they stop the servers from crashing?
  5. Tudadar Augur

Its something nice to think and talk about but I dont think they can. They dont even hunt down / enforce Macr / extras for the last ten years ( TEN YEARS! ). I think a lot of people will bypass it and just give them a big advantage while people that play be the rules will be screwed over.

However im sure they will make up some more phony numbers and tweet it like they have been ( 932108932 users banned for hacking/boxing on no box server from eq! )
  6. Sebbina Augur

You prevent boxing by preventing more then one account from an IP, which will of course annoy family members that want to play together. Some one with multi-comps and access to more then one internet path will be able to bypass the one per IP address, but, isn't going to field an army. Generally, many folk box more then one account and will not be thrilled to be limited to one, so its popularity is going to be suspect until such a server launches.
    Soltara likes this.
  7. AlmarsGuides Augur

It's almost impossible to enforce even in games that don't let you box at all on any server (Archeage) you still see people getting away with it.

Ultimately as long as you don't use /follow, have more than 1 computer, know how to use a VPN, can spoof your hardware ID (which I dont even think daybreak will care to investigate far enough for) you can box just fine. Just park 3 characters at a camp and talk on all 3 of them if anyone rolls up they can't prove jack.

A no box server is more of a guideline than an enforced rule.

It will be as dead as Mayong 51/50 in a few months after release. EQ has had boxing as far back as anyone can remember. The only shot the server has is if they don't make it as strict as P99. Not even being able to log on a friends account to rez or buff yourself is just pure childish stupidity.
  8. AlmarsGuides Augur

Allowing 1 account per Ip only hurts normal players or those not computer savvy. Spoofing an Ip is about the easiest possible thing to do.

The bigger question is will the investigate further to check Hardware IDs for each account logged in
  9. Kaneras Augur

It's really not very hard. When you have multiple computers attached to your router, they are "hidden" from the internet using private addressing. The router has many "inside" IP addresses but usually only one "outside" IP address, and the DBG login server can only see that one outside IP address. So even if you are running 6 accounts they will be associated with same IP address (the one that belongs to your router). It's pathetically easy to monitor.

If families want to play together I'm sure there is going to be way for that to happen.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  10. AlmarsGuides Augur

Not everyone uses a router and there are many ways around that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

Is the most commonly used.

Look at it like this, Blizzard actually bans people in their games and it isn't like people who bot gold have 100 computers each of them only running 1 world of warcraft client all tied to a different IP address.

Multiple OS installs, VPNs there is so much that gets you around ever being able to be detected by a company and Blizzard is a company that actually monitors it and checks it frequently to ban botters. EQ on the other hand, as you have seen, doesn't ban the botters.

I don't think the server will have much trouble with boxers though. Why would a boxer go to a server with a group of people that dislike them? The no boxing server is perfect everyone with a prejudice against boxers can go there and cause drama amongst themselves now instead of bothering others
  11. Kaneras Augur

Spoofing an internal IP is not going to help. The router provided by your cable service will use a single public IP for all outgoing traffic. Spoofing/proxies only work if you have several external IP addresses at your disposal and 99.9% of users don't have that.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  12. Kaneras Augur

VPN is not used to spoof IP addresses. It's used to create an encrypted data tunnel over a public network. It also has to be setup at both ends. Do you think DBG is going to setup a VPN server for you to use so you can run multiple accounts? Just because you spam about VPN does not mean it will help you one bit.

About your comment regarding the router...everybody is behind a router. Everybody.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  13. Kahna Augur

They aren't going to be blocking IP addresses. They would just make it one login per computer. And they don't really have to enforce it with an iron fist to get the desired result. The disruptive box armies are obvious. A couple petitions will take care of them and force people to box more subtly. If you can't tell they are boxing the end result is the same as if they weren't boxing. Ignorance is bliss.
    Benzarden, Falconii and Fallfyres like this.
  14. Machen New Member

You don't know much about the internets, do you...

Try googling proxy server. Then see if you can figure out how maybe that whole vpn thing might be used.
  15. AlmarsGuides Augur

It works well enough for botters to get away with it in every single mmorpg there is a bot for. And those gaming companies care about the botters and ban them hence why they take all the precautions.

If you think daybreak is going to enforce this policy when they have shown no interest in enforcing any other policy you're nuts.

https://www.proxifier.com/

And then here's even a tutorial - http://www.mmominion.com/Thread-Tut...-computer-on-more-IP-addresses-with-Proxifier

What it boils down too is they will NEVER be able to enforce a no boxing server. The only boxers that wont be able to box there are the blatantly obvious ones. Like I said if you box and don't use /follow you'll probably get away with it forever.
    Sourire and Son of a... like this.
  16. Mezrah Augur

17. AlmarsGuides Augur

Sourire likes this.
  18. Mezrah Augur

Hmmm

If you read the thread, you will see there were several people commenting on that, speculating as to what it could mean. I believe it is probably accurate to state, the majority of boxers are not botters, but the majority of botters are boxers...
    Fallfyres likes this.
  19. Machen New Member

She is not ignorant. She correctly explained the difference in one of the live streams leading up to these servers launching.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  20. AlmarsGuides Augur

I read the thread like 5 minutes after it was made, didn't see any of the later comments =P

I know she wasn't advocating or approving the use of , it was a slip of tongue (again) when she should have just said boxers. But too many people call the boxed characters 'bots' which is why the term is being misused.

This is all purely speculation I would like to add, just assumptions based on the information currently available to the public.