Can I edit eqstr_us.txt to customize my chat?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by cam0l, Jul 17, 2015.

1. cam0l New Member

I was just curious if I could edit the file to make my chat window look the way I want. Is it even possible? Is it against the ToS? Thanks.
  2. Iila Augur

What do you mean? The UI pieces can be edited to customize the look, a bit. Check out eqinterface.com for some examples and complete UIs.

Changing font size and color can be done with menu options in game. I'm not sure what editing eqstr_us.txt would even do to change how chat looked. But if you really wanted to, you could change some default strings. You'd have to skip the patcher or replace the file after running the patcher each time, though.
  3. cam0l New Member

Yeah, I wanted to be able to change the default strings to say what I wanted. Just change stuff up a bit to makes things different besides the stuff you can change in the options menu. For example change "You begin casting Blah." To say something like "Me > Casting: Blah".
  4. Iila Augur

Go for it. That's not enough for anyone to care about.

Just be aware that the patcher will fix the file back to its default state, and you might run into weird errors with things that care about string size.
  5. Khat_Nip Meow

Haven't checked to see if this is the case but be aware that it's possible the file is loaded into memory once during EQ's initial load so any subsequent changes might be fruitless.
  6. cam0l New Member

Alright, thanks for the replies!

Annnnnnd...there WERE string errors out the wazoo!
  7. Iila Augur

Try keeping the replacement strings the same length?

Or, check out GINA. It's not nearly the same thing as editing the base strings, but it's a way to get messages to you, in a customizable way.
  8. cam0l New Member

Thanks, I might just give up for now. I used to script in mIRC and I would change up all the default text on that too so I was just curious if I could do it in EQ. I will try keeping them the same lengths later though. ;)
  9. rune00 Augur

No you can't cause that file is checksumed... You change even 1 byte in it and you will get errors and have to repatch... At least that's how it used to be haven't looked at that code for some time...