Can anyone answer some Necro questions please?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by asfasfasfasf, Sep 3, 2017.

1. asfasfasfasf Augur

I am still trying to work out what to box and I think a Necro would work well but I have a few questions.

1) I tried a Nec using a Heroic Character and it was ok, but I couldn't seem to mez any mobs, it kept saying I needed some component? Can Necros crowd control in higher levels or is this component a problem?

2) I read that in groups their damage isn't good because their dots take too long. Does this mean they are only really suitable for raids? Or can they do ok damage in a group too? I am thinking that the pet backstabs and their have an ok nuke. If I did their fastest dot, and spammed the nuke, would it be ok compared to say a mage? Or just not good?

3) Can they split pulls ok even in hard content? At low level I always used to die trying to FD split with a Necro. But I notice there is an AA that protects them against spell casters when feigned now. Are they ok at it? Or would an Enchanter with Pacify spell line be better?

2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Im not a necro but I have grouped with one as a wizard:

No clue about mezzing, but from my experience with groups, is that they can split pull quite good. There are probably only a few rooms in the hardest dungeons they can't handle(I remember doing the final EoK-partisan-quest with a necro and he couldn't singlepull mobs from the crowded room with the final groundspawn, we took turns in training them away instead), but they are generally solid at pulling, probably not the fastest way to work through a dungeon though. A wiz/nec duo could probably handle most progression in EoK(a wiz/ench duo would also work), except the group missions.

As a wizard I seem to do most of the damage when it come to trashmobs, as necros need some "windup-time" to do good dps with dot stacking. I don't really parse so I don't really know if they shine more on bossmobs...

They are excellent dps on raids though.

These observations are based on 2 players playing together, and not as a box setup though.
    asfasfasfasf likes this.
  3. Moege Augur

1, Can mez undead mobs no component needed
    2. Slow dps until you get dots stacked then it is ok for the last 10% that the mob still lives. 2 fast dots + 2 nukes + 1 lifetap if you want any kind of dps out of them
    3. Great puller (simple fd, snare , root, pet pulling and if undead mez)

crowded room with the final groundspawn: cannot mez/root/snare. this leaves training the mobs away. pet+pet harmshield works great for that pita room.
  4. asfasfasfasf Augur

Thanks for replies, seems a bit disappointing. They used to be able to mez any mob in the lower levels with Screaming Terror, but at higher levels it seems they can only do undead? It also seems a lot of mobs are immune to snare now too. I think I will take a Bard instead for their uber pulling.
  5. Moege Augur

Still have mez for any mob "Dreadful Shriek" honestly forgot about it, snare/root pulling works for me.

Shriek works for up to level 103 so useless in TBM, EoK (droga/chardok/labs. some mobs in lc/fm/sw where you have space anyway)
    asfasfasfasf likes this.
  6. Thraine Augur

a decent necro will not bother with that mez. if your pulling properly you'll never use it.
  7. ---Xislaben--- Augur

We have mez, most don't really use it all that much, and at end levels it's undead only.

Yes, our group dps is terribad unless the group is super slacking.

Necs should be able to split at any level, space allowing. For lower levels you can use line of sight to avoid casters casting on you, but if you get fd broken by a spell, fd again.
    asfasfasfasf likes this.
  8. Rhaage Augur

My guess is you were using "Bone-Rattling Shriek" as your mez which apparently requires you to have (but does not consume) a Lifeshard

https://eq.magelo.com/spell/18976

https://eq.magelo.com/item/52660

which you get lifeshards from Drink of Vitae / Drink of Vitalis spells..

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/search.html?q=lifeshard

but necro's do suffer some in the dps department as mobs tend to die too quickly for our dots to really get going. They do however have some valuable pulling tools and have some pretty strong survival tools.

If your aim is to go farm mobs and kill things in 15 to 30 seconds, necro won't shine, but if you want to take a duo / trio and go after named mobs and hit harder targets that may take time to set up, a necro can bring a lot to the table.
    asfasfasfasf likes this.
  9. asfasfasfasf Augur

Thanks! And yea that was the spell I was trying, I thought I had a lifeshard but it still didn't seem to work. Maybe I used it or something. I decided against the class though now anyway. I really want a safer puller and some fast DPS so I took a bard which seems so great. I mained a Necro back in the old days of this game from release up to PoP and was great back then. DPS was ok, but I could do a lot of things, mezzing anything with screaming terror, charm something when too many adds, even helping out with heals, very good class if you like to do a lot!

I might try it again someday but for now it sounds more suited to raiding so I went with something else.
  10. Atvar Augur

Really, the only time to use mez at 50+ is for the rare game mechanic where mez does bane damage or is required as part of a quest. At high levels it's all about snare/root/FD splitting. As a last resort, a raid geared necro can handle 2-3 unsplit mobs at once and just burn them down. I was capable of soloing, with difficultIy, all the quests in EoK.

I really wouldn't recommend playing a necro as a puller support class, and would choose bard myself.
    asfasfasfasf likes this.