BST soloing at 100

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Jesen, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Jesen New Member

Hey guys! I am a returning player after quite a few years. I am leveling my BST up to use as my main. Question is how do BST solo at 100 with a merc? I hearing in game that some use heal merc and just tank with their pet as dps., but I have also heard that you let the pet tank while you keep it up, and use a wiz pet for dps. My BST is 62 with like 100 aa's so right now its ezmode. Thanks for the help / tips!
  2. Recnarp Augur

The reason you are hearing both of those suggestions is that it all comes down to your gear and AA count. I've had raid gear for years now, so me tanking, pet dpsing/off tanking another mob, and a healer merc is standard for me. Now, I don't know how well the top-end group gear holds up to tanking, but if you can handle the mob's hit, I would try that setup first.

If you dying is a 50% chance every time you fight a mob you may want to go the other route. Caster mercs put out great dps, so you healing the pet while it does it's job you'll be alright.The only issue I foresee happening is when you run into extra adds/mobs. Once that caster merc pulls aggro, it ain't staying up long. Pets are pretty sturdy creatures these day, and as you become better at pet management, you're pet will be able to tank multiple mobs by switching between different targets.

Try both out, time how fast you are killing things, get some more gear, and test it again.
    beryon and Noobieguy like this.
  3. Noobieguy Augur

Been a while since I tried to solo / molo with my BST, but in grp gear I died a lot till I got all my defensives maxed. I didn't like playing like a poor man's mage, so I tried to tank stuff with a healer merc (backing off when needed). Should be a ton easier with some raid gear ;)
  4. Gatash Lorekeeper

I agree with what Recnarp has said, but I can comment from a group gear perspective. If I'm doing T3 then I cannot reliably take the damage spikes so the only way forward is to use pet tank with caster merc on burn. In this instance I can put out maybe 3-4K more dps than I can if I was tanking with a healer merc (about 23K sustained compared to about 19). Obviously this won't add up to your advantage if you had raid gear. Adds are a pain, but if you have a selection of heals and a rune up, and especially if you see it coming, you are ok with 2 mobs. At a push you can pop protective spirit and have a go burning one down. If I'm doing T1 I will tank it myself and lose a bit of DPS just because I get bored otherwise.

Gatash
    Quatr and beryon like this.
  5. Brosa Augur

If your decently group geared with decent amount of aa then I would suggest merc healer. Especially if your just out to grind exp you can tank trash just fine backing out when needed as Noob said. I do it on my bst.
  6. Ardin Elder

My bst is in mix of T2/T3 group gear with T3 group gear pet focus.
    Tanking T3 trash mobs and using healer merc is like playing russion rulette with 5 bullets and one empty cell. Allowing my warder to tank and using caster merc in burn mode is most efficient way.
  7. beryon Augur

As a grouper, I'd always used the healer merc until now. After several failed attempts at moloing nameds in RoF, I decided to try switching to caster merc & having the pet tank a couple of nights ago, and that made all the difference. It seemed a bit counter-intuitive, but I kept the pet alive better than the healer merc and the wiz merc puts out more dps than I do.
  8. Jesen New Member

Awesome thanks for the feedback everyone. Just got my sk to 92 so I can start swarming up my 62 BST! Pretty pumped to get to 100 with this class.