Bst main. PAL or WAR for box tank?

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Wakeup, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Wakeup Journeyman

I main a BL. And box a bard. Looking for a 3rd box. Bst is a busy class. I've heard warriors are a good box tank for us. Hit a one button social and tab back to bstlord sounds good. Are warriors really that easy? I have no interest in SK. I've seen a few BST recommend PAL on the basis they are bulletproof. I just wonder if boxing PAL BST BRD is worth the difficulty or if i get more bang for my buck with the WAR
  2. Chaosflux Augur

I box BST BRD PAL

I wouldnt suggest it if you aren't on some sort of amphetamines. Its alot of keystrokes to hit optimum performance on the Paladin and Beast at the same time.
  3. Reval Augur

Do the warrior. It's easier.
  4. Disobedient New Member

Why would you need a tanker as a BL . I am a main beastlord player on Luclin . Tanker is a waste of time and money. My beast lord pet Can tank anything in Eok. Including alll named...... Get yourself a extra dps class ....... But yeah My beastlord pet is a savage Beast. I do have focus 24 and max AA. But my God is he a BEAST
    Throkk likes this.
  5. Chaosflux Augur

Your beast pet might be a savage, But tanks even poorly geared/played tank much better then a pet can.

Like its not even a competition, even a poorly played tank makes a pet look like a damn joke.
  6. Rebellious New Member

Chaosflux has no Idea what hes talking about. I had a Epic Sk in full Tier 2 . He never could match my Bl pet for tanking period...... Sat him out and lvled a zerker to dps for my duo. I solo All and any named in EOK with my Bl pet tanking. this is solo might I add. One box with me... you don't need a box tanker playing a Beastlord , PERIOD.
  7. Seldom Augur

Did you really make a new account to claim Chaosflux has no idea what he's talking about LOL. His advice was solid, it's not a contest. Player tanks walk circles around pets. To the OP, you'd get most bang for your buck with WAR
  8. Wakeup Journeyman

Well in my case, I think a Player Tank walks circles around my EM 17 pet and 16kAA's. Maybe raid geared with all the AA's, but I rarely stay fully raid geared. Beyond that, pet tanking has some serious limitations when you aggro too many things. From what I can tell Pets only really hold aggro on one mob at a time. That said, If I ever get where you're at Disobedient, I might drop the tank for a DPS.
  9. Reval Augur

bst tanks are no joke but they require a lot of maintenance. You lose dps while healing the pet in hard situations. You lose dps managing the pet's position. You lose dps making the pet a tank with the defensive buff. You lose dps doing a lot of things. I'd rather just have the warrior, and a pet with dps so I can use bestial bloodrage without losing aggro all the time.

You could argue that a bst/berserker would be better dps, and it probably is. But I bet bst/war is easier to play, and has some strong conveniences too. I like having a real tank in groups, even when the pet can do it. I've had too many groups where I turn into basically a pet healer half the time.
  10. Tucoh Augur

In terms of raw capability, war/bst is probably the best combination in terms of strength and ease of use. A word of caution though, once your warrior is geared you'll probably start to primarily play your warrior when you twobox and the BST will just be DPS / ADPS.

If you'd prefer to avoid that, a berserker may be a better option, but despite what Disobedient/Rebellious say, a real tank will drastically outclass a pet class.
  11. Chaosflux Augur

Aight hoss, I'll bet you a years sub I could log on your SK and tank circles front back and side to side around your pet.

Or we can both Test copy and I'll do it with my paladin (unless you are on Xegony)

Want to take that bet?
  12. Coronay Augur

That must have been one really, really bad "epic SK in full Tier 2"
    Chaosflux likes this.
  13. Gommy Journeyman

Okay I have some questions.

1. If you are using a beastlord pet to tank, can you have say a zerker or rogue meleeing on the same mob? Wouldn't the mob turn on the player instead of staying agroed on the pet?

2. If you're not raid focused, and stuck with XVIII focus instead of XXIV, will the pet still be able to tank things?

3. Does the pet need gear / armour?
  14. Reval Augur

Pet aggro was changed. Pets can tank with people nearby

Not sure how well the pet will tank, but you can use companion's aegis, companion's fortitude, and companion's blessing (fort and blessing mostly for named mobs) as well as the protection line over the aggression line (will give much more hp, and add to aggro capabilities), pass on using bestial bloodrage (I know this sucks.. it really is a compromise but the pet will have less aggro with this ability, look up all that it does - great for dps bad for tanking), and use some solid healing to keep the pet alive. There's such a robust line of things you can do that even with a weaker pet, it ends up being manageable if you do it right.

The pet doesn't "need" gear or armor, but in many cases you can give it gear for a bit of a boost. If you find really cheap stuff for level 90's or something from rof that's great, but the biggest gain is probably a haste item.
  15. Gommy Journeyman

Interesting... I'm totally going to try using the agro / defence buff on the pet for a DH mission, and drop merc tank to see if mittens can manage! If I drop the tank, I can use a melee dps. That'd be awesome! Merc rogue manages about 20k dps, tank about 8k and pet about 8k. Dop the pet dps down to 5k, add 12k with extra rogue! Win!

Or campfire back and rez corpses, whatever.
  16. Gommy Journeyman

Update: Worked a treat in DS hills mission, even tanked beautifully a red con Bloodsucker better than the merc tank. So now dps has gone up, survivability has gone up and Mittens has never been happier. That was using XI focus, but once levelled to 105, I swapped to my pre looted XVIII focus and now it works even better. Just FYI :)
  17. Vindicate Elder

Oh its no contest when it comes to pet tank vs real tank, I've taken a group geared SK without a single piece of raid gear and tanked, survived, and killed up to 20 mobs at once in FM in EoK. I generally do about 8-10 at once of any blue cons in the zone. Its not even a scary situation, literally impossible to do that with any pet. I've killed 3 at once with both Mage and BST pets, but I'm generally working pretty hard at it.

Real tank wins every time, you don't have to believe me just go sit beside one and run a parser. Max AA and max focus pet still doesn't stack up to a group geared tank with just decent tanking AA. Until I finish my new Warrior and old Paladin, my go to tank is the SK. Its very versatile. I've seen Warriors do some neat things and I've watched Paladins tank 2-3 mobs like champs, but I love aoes and spreading dots all over the place. If you're into that sorta thing, I wouldn't pick the paladin. I don't like assist killing mobs, the DPS is too low, I like putting dots on everything at once or raining all over them, or hitting aoe melee things. Its fun to clear a camp in a single pull or two, and a lot more productive! The SK affords me that opportunity. You'll never get a pet to come close to that either, not even hand grenade close, or ballpark, or area code, or really not even the same planet if I'm being honest.
  18. Fian Augur

If you are running the various discs and AA abilities of a tank class, it will far outclass a bst pet. If you are doing limited control as a box, I don't think it is clear that a tank class is better than a bst pet.