Broken Loot Tables

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Snack, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Snack Augur

I remember way back in the day, loot tables used to get broken after patches on occasion. I remember the Dervish Cutthroats dropping Boxes of Abu'Kar one time and another time they dropped a pair of DRU only leggings that weren't dropping anywhere else in the game yet.

My question is, do people still see this happening today? In the past couple of months I had two drops, that should have been easy, not drop at all. One was an item from MPG (needed 3 of them) to complete the Anguish BP and I killed everything in zone for hours and not a single drop. Based on what I know about the drop rate, there is around a 0.5% chance to kill as many as I did without a drop.

The other was a drop off an adder in Feerrott, the Dream. Killed so many that there was probably <0.01% chance that I wouldn't have gotten it. I know RNG can play tricks on you, but seemed excessive. Was just wondering if messed up drop/spawn tables were still a thing or they had figured out how to not break that.

Thanks.

BTW, neither drop was game breaking or fun stopping for me -- just killed a bunch of time killing grays with only vendor/TS/tribute loot to show for it.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Is this on a live server?

On live, people have been slaughtering various zones (Like MPG) for Crestra's Earring quest. The RNG can be cruel sometimes, especially when lots of mobs are dying quickly.
  3. Snack Augur

Yup -- Live, on Tunare. Was looking for the Ceremonial Dragorn Candles -- horrid drop rate according to Magelo or 2%-3% depending on Dragorn. So my chance of getting shut out on the number of Dragorns I killed was likely in the 1.0-2.5% range, which is totally possible (I didn't count the number of each type, just started counting once I got about 20 in without a drop).

However, the other item was the Adder Egg for Rupkerr #3 in Feerrott (The Dream). According to Magelo stats -- at a 22% drop rate on Slithering Adders, with over 50 kills (call it 50 - would guess closer to 100 as I was running my SK through the zone with his wurmslayer pulling every Adder I could find -- and everything else in the process) -- the chance that I'd get shut out on the Adder Egg is about 1 in 248,000 (0.0004%).

I'm not real concerned, was more curious than anything else. The Anguish BP and the HoT Aug are not game changing by any stretch, was just curious. I missed about 7-8 years in the middle of

I am totally aware that they have a fraction of the staff they had 5, 10, 15 or 20 years ago. Wonder if they don't apply some sort of Jenkins or other tool that iterates through events such as drop and spawn tables to ensure that there is no corruption within those database structures. Would be interesting to see the number of combinations they'd have to cycle through to ensure that drop/spawn tables are good.

As an academic exercise. If you took a zone like Kunark-era Old Sebilis, with 100+ unique mobs. Named mobs have 2-3 drops, at certain drop rates. Having to iterate through each mob 'dying' to validate that the appropriate rares drop, at the appropriate rates AND that they additional cash/random loot table is providing the appropriate drops, at the appropriate rates. Yikes. That's thousands of deaths/lookups per mob -- and THEN...

...you take the expansion wide ultra-rare/chase items like the Skyiron Kite...you need to go through and make sure that each mob drops it at it's appropriate rate, which is likely 100s of 1000s to validate a sub-1% drop rate item.

It would be a fun project to say the least. At this stage of EQs development, it would probably not be worthwhile to start it. However, as a stat geek, it would be fun to watch the output churn (or see the anomalies fly).
  4. Snack Augur

Which only happens when my O.G. Monk was waiting for Raster of Guk (or the Goblin Alchemist in Gorge of King Xorbb) to show their faces. Never saw either. /sadmonkface
  5. Password1234 Augur

Can you clarify this part? The Adder Eggs drop specifically off of Sinuous Adders, and there's only 2 in the entire zone. Are you counting all adders in your kill totals, because that would throw your numbers off completely.
  6. Snack Augur

*grumble*

I wasn't aware that it was Sinuous Adders -- and I probably killed very few of those. I saw the egg on the Magelo loot table and thought it was *Adders. Thanks for replying.
  7. Password1234 Augur

I've wasted entirely too much time doing that task with 4 characters now lol. It's by far the most annoying one in the zone because of how rare that one specific kind of snake is. They only spawn in the Southeast and they're placeholders for a named snake, making them really rare.
  8. mkb5683 New Member

I just did rupker #3 last night. All 4 people in group got the egg off of Sinuous Adders. The description of the quest on Allah tells you to look for that. It also says that it could possibly drop off of the slithering version but it has to be one that does not con as "realtively weak"