Broken Achievement? Mercenaries for Hire

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by MaxTheLion, Apr 6, 2019.

1. MaxTheLion Augur

I'm having difficulty completing the Tutorials - Out of Gloomingdeep achievement on a character created before the tutorial was active. In particular, the step to kill "an invading gnoll pup" in North Qeynos during the Mercenaries for Hire quest.

A few months ago I attempted it
    Round 1 - I killed it with merc unsuspended (but not attacking) = no credit.
    Round 2 - I engaged the mob and let the merc kill it = no credit.
    I went through a few iterations of different attempts trying to get the "kill" credit but never could so I stopped in frustration. Fast forward to today and after spending many hours slaughtering the yard, I can not get the "an invading gnoll pup" to spawn.

Does anybody have any experience / knowledge to contribute?
    I play on the Phinigel server.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Do you still have the quest in your journal? If its not in there then nothing is going to spawn. Not sure this is repeatable as many of the tutorial ones be they in Gloomingdeep or Out of Gloomingdeep are repeatable.
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I'm not sure you can do it past level 10. But try this...

If you have it in your quest journal, remove and try to start over.
    Dismiss merc first.
    Hail Balknir (I think the name is), he's next to Secalna in PoK.
    Accept quest.
    Hire a merc, you can even get human tank or healer from him.
    Hail him again.
    Go kill 'invading pup' in Qeynos (as he asks you).
    Come back to PoK and hail him last time.
    You may need to then hail Secalna to finish 'Out Of Gloomingdeep' (if you have finished all her other bits of that quest).
  4. MaxTheLion Augur

I do currently have the quest in my journal. I have dropped and re-grabbed it multiple times to see if that would change anything. I even brought a brand new character with the quest to see if it would spawn to no avail.
  5. MaxTheLion Augur

My current issue is that I can't even get the "an invading pup" to spawn.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Didn't Phinigel just get mercs - January 2 this year?

So it could very well be broken and no one has discovered it since they just go hire the mercs and don't bother with the quest. You could file a ticket but I would emphasis the fact of the server your on and the fact invading pup is not spawning. since otherwise they will tell you to ask here or in chat on your server for help and to try again and that your missing a step. But then again you did get it to spawn once but it would not update so that kinda says something is broke in it
  7. MaxTheLion Augur

I believe you're correct and something is just not working related to the quest / server combination. I checked a few Live servers and they all seem to have the "an invading gnoll pup" so it's time to submit a ticket. Thanks.
  8. Morgen Elder

Seems this is still broken. I submitted issue to the tracker.
    MaxTheLion likes this.
  9. Morgen Elder

10. Uyeenah New Member

GOOD NEWS!
    As of 10/11/2020, "Mercenaries for Hire" from Elegist in the Mines of Gloomingdeep is NOT broken:)
    This is my first ever post, so pleas bear with me. This is my story.
    I had to attempt the quest 3 times to complete it, which I feel is al MY fault.
    BIT TIP: READ THE QUEST (gee, who would have thought, right?)
    1st Attempt: I hadn't really been reading the quest. Had done it several times before since Gloomingdeep came out, years ago of course. I couldn't even click on the Infiltrators, so headed to the forums. Read a post about how you have to Hail him again, after selecting your Merc finally.
    I abandoned the Merc, and tried again. Got the Merc back .... Continued the quest by Hailing Elegist again, read along, found out I hadn't "Set" his stance... Back to the Infiltrators ..... still not working.
    3rd attempt (by now I'm slightly peeved): Abandoned the Merc, even DELETED the quest, and started from scratch. This time I read ALL THE QUEST, every freaking word of it. Take the Quest, READING, and still, my Pet (I'mma Mage) wouldn't attack. BUT I did notice that a spell started to go off. Well, NATURALLY, I'm on the wrong Hot bar...Get the right Hot Bar pulled up, and pet still wouldn't attach (either was the Merc) BUT I was able to melee and blast it to death.
    Turned in quest
    Lesson: READ THE QUEST :)