Bringing in some friends

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Taruam, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Taruam New Member

Hey guys, I have a really exciting weekend coming up where I will be laning with some friends who have never played before. That being said they come from a history of action oriented MMOs. What classes (or UIs) would you suggest to try to meet them half way in the beginning of thir EQ career? Or another way to put it are there any classes that are pretty actionable at the beginning of the game so I can hook them on the game early and they are interested in coming back to experience the magnitude of the games content and amazing community and playerbase?
  2. moogs Augur

I hope you'll be in the same room together. EQ's learning curve is brutal, just for the AI and basic game mechanics. If everyone is remote, checking out some videos posted here recently would be really helpful.

Mage, Druid, Necromancer, Monk, Beastlord, Ranger are pretty easy to learn and I think are fun. Enchanter would be great if somebody really wants to step up and be challenged. Have fun.
  3. Tharrg Augur

Also have them click link like the one I have in my signature as that will give them some great boosts right up front which will make it easier
    moogs likes this.
  4. moogs Augur

Also a great idea!
  5. Crystilla Augur

If you all have come from a history of action oriented MMO's, what type of characters have folks liked to play (and from what games)? That may make it easier to give advice.

EQ started off as a class/archtype system with some "children" of parent classes. But over the years some of the individual style has been merged to other classes, though each class still does have some things that are unique or at least they're considered good at.
  6. Taruam New Member

Yes we will be in the same room together (and the pizza with flow). The one guy played a WoW pally since launch so im sure that he will find the EQ pally to be not what he is used to. In general he is addicted to large numbers and pressing button so I was thinking wizard. The other guy is basically saying he is interested in supporting the group and the two best classes I know of for that would probably be bard or chanter despite them being advanced characters, to start out with I'm sure he will like them. But those are just my spitball ideas based on what they told me and/or my play experiences with them in the past.
  7. moogs Augur

Will this event be sponsored by Mountain Dew?

Wiz and Enc are fun. Which class will you be playing?
  8. Taruam New Member

of course! The one guy says hes kind of interested in necro, and I will select my class after they have locked in theirs to better balance the group i think, I also have toons all along the leveling train so I can swap out as we go if need be.
  9. Fendy Augur

I would not recommend any custom UI's at the beginning. Let them learn the game with the default UI and later if they feel constricted by it or want to create more desktop real estate you can mention the option. I like SARS, but there are many others out there.