Brightness / Gamma

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Shay, Jan 19, 2024.

1. Shay Apprentice

[IMG]That answer is completely unacceptable. Don't bother with instructions on how to screw up your graphics settings on your computer and fudge everything else.
    Telling people to adjust their SYSTEM graphics settings to compensate for the mess created by DX11 is utterly and completely out of order.
    Some of us WORK on our computers. Some of us do graphical work, which, as DEVS you ought to know relies on MONITOR CALIBRATION. (Or perhaps you don't, then please go get your monitors properly calibrated, because you're developing with your system settings set way too bright. That's the only thing I can think of why you believe this is acceptable.)
    You cannot expect people to mess with their CALIBRATED settings, just to play Everquest. (Funny how other games don't have that problem, and they run on DX11 or 12 as well.)
    Fix it. No one asked for DX11, and if you can't implement it in a satisfactory manner, then ditch it.
  2. Iven the Lunatic

This game is becoming more and more a game for geeks. Every 1-2 years a new huge tech problem. In the last few years many players have already been put off by increased hardware and software requirements and the workarounds are now adding up.

Windows XP, Vista
    Windows 7, 8, 10 x86
    Fullscreen mode Can work with strong restrictions but is no longer supported
    DX 9
    Gamma adjustment
    Single and dual core CPUs Dual core CPUs can work but will have problems
    This is going to be a horrible 25th anniversary, and it should be stopped to continue like that, because else many more players will be locked out until none are left, including team Darkpaw. I think it is time to talk about those problems and putting up a video on YT. I would like to see all the managers and Ji Ham there and what they have to say about the current state and the future of EQ.
    Perihelion, AfridKanne and Warrior187 like this.
  3. Kegwell Lurker since '99

not gonna buy 2 new pc's so i can continue to "true box" which is required on tlp's to play alts on
  4. Neckynec New Member

The "enhanced vision" slider only changes the brightness for the game window, not the UI.
    I'm not sure if the devs understand that for a bunch of us the game as a whole has very low gamma.
    I have had to turn up the gamma slider in EQ for years to fix this problem, but we had an in game way to fix it so it wasn't an issue.
    Scila, AfridKanne, Warrior187 and 3 others like this.
  5. Buds Augur

Wow, I felt like I needed a white cane and dog to guide me around some of the areas lol. Come on this has to change. Even with the Enhanced Vision max, it's WAY too dark.
  6. Perihelion Journeyman

Yep, need real good night vision helm to chase mobs at high noon....getting a headache!
    AfridKanne and Nennius like this.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

Perhaps the good folks at DPG know something of the future. Maybe the coming nuclear winter will darken things so much that this gamma thing will turn out to be a blessing.
  8. Svann2 The Magnificent

Might help to post a screenshot
  9. Lodestar The Undefeated

Accurate assessment by the OP. The main callout is that the limitation on gamma should not be blamed on DX11 limitations, since the origin of the problem exists with DX11 being force-pushed half-baked.

More time should have gone into testing workarounds for the next 6 months, so that DX11 and enhanced brightness both were polished for the player base upon release in Summer 2024.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

Its DX9 + gamma correction vs. DX11 + vision brightness.
    DX11 does not support (ingame) gamma correction. (according to a dev)

My workaround is the AMD adrenaline driver software where I can adjust the brightness but not the gamma per exe-process or global. It does work but everything does look less good than before and the desktop and websites are to bright when an EQ client is running in the background. DX11 is supposed to bring us better graphics, but instead it can make everything ugly.
    Tempr33 and Estalia like this.
  11. Lodestar The Undefeated

Point is: The dev dismissed a player's concerns about gamma adjustments not being available due to DX11 not supporting it. Therefore, it's incumbent on Daybreak to provide a sufficient alternative. However, the current alternative is not sufficient for some users.

Therefore, poor decision making ran upstream to the release of DX11 half-baked, with half-baked "Enhance Vision". It's not the player's fault DX11 and enhance vision were released in this capacity. The proper thing for Daybreak to do or admit to, is that more time polishing both should have occurred before forcing them upon the community.
    Tempr33 likes this.
  12. Ravanta Suffer Augur

That comment was incorrect. It was later commented on in discord by another dev, who implied that it is only available in full-screen but not in windowed mode but giving them the benefit of the doubt, their reply was misleading. *Their* implementation at this point might not allow for it.

I have personally confirmed several games that run in dx11, and each and every one of them has a brightness or gamma* setting that works when playing in windowed mode and in full screen. It is frequently one of the first things games present you with when starting them for the first time. Because it is an important setting. Like many people who play EQ, I've played a lot of PC games over my lifetime. I wouldn't say that all of them had a brightness setting, but every game I can recall spending a significant amount of time with did, going all the way back to the 90's.

You can confirm this yourself, look for a list of games that only run in dx11. You might have several of them in your steam library.

I commented on this point, another eq dev (who said they are not involved with the dx11 updpate quipped that "brightness =/= gamma" and the dev that did, gave a thumbs up to the comment.

In my opinion the quip was out of place, and so was liking it. I'm sure that all three of us are aware that no, brightness is not technically the same as gamma, but again...the point remains that suggesting that brightness/gamma adjustment is not possible with dx11 is incorrect, and Everquest is in the extreme minority of games that do not have an in game selection for it.

*As some additional context on this point, I have seen several games refer incorrectly to brightness/gamma in their in-game setting. It's not that complicated of a term if you google it, but it does seem that as far as the user interface is concerned, the terms are used interchangeably.

TLDR: As I'm sure many would agree, it really seems like they should not have released it yet.
    Iven and Velisaris_MS like this.
  13. Niri New Member

Brightness *isn't* the same as gamma.
    Gamma affects the "black point", i.e the shadows vs the bright places. The *luminance* overall.
    Brightness will crank up everything and that's why their "enhance vision" slider (brightness) affects the entire scene, white as well, which is why anything bright is almost impossible to look at with it at 100.
    Brightness = everything goes bright.
    Gamma = darker areas get lighter without affecting light areas. Luminance is affected, basically.
    If they'd implemented a luminance slider, that would make sense. Brightness... nope.
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

Seems to apply to a lot of stuff lately.
    Jack likes this.
  15. Ravanta Suffer Augur

just nevermind, I have no interest in continuing arguments with people over things that are not related...I just want to not have to adjust my monitor settings every time I start and end playing EQ without eye strain. To pour salt into the wound, even in areas where there is little or no issue, many things look *worse* than before.
  16. Iven the Lunatic

@Ravanta

That does give me some hope that the situation can be changed to the better. Players that do use the windowed mode might not need a gamma setting at all, as that mode should adapt automatically to the desktop gamma setting. The enhanced vision feature is more or less just a boosted faerune light source.
  17. Crathsor New Member

This is my guess and only a guess. There is something coming down the pipeline, and quite possibly tied into the upcoming Anniversary. Which for it to work requires DX11 going. So with that said I do not anticipate any type of resolution to this until after the events are done.

I worked for a company that had this mentality as well. To hell with the consumers as long as the product makes it out there then push it out. Even if it partially works. Can deal with the other issues later.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

I can only hope you're wrong. :)