Boxes for the no box server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Batbener, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Batbener Augur

Just wanted to get some feed back on opening up boxes on the no box server, eventually. Clearly the server will die a miserable death at some point without boxes, or at least that is what I suspect. So this is my idea. Take the initial population average for the first couple of weeks. We'll use the number 2000. Once the population average drops to 1k, allow for 1 box per computer. Each dip to half of the initial population adds another box. You could even go to a quarter of the initial population before adding a single box.

Y'all like to change the rules on the fly. And by y'all I mean DBGs and the player population. TBH, I think it's mostly the player population and DBGs just trying to make them happy. I am just trying to get the rule changes out of the way early on, so I know if I want to play on the new no box server. I had no problems with the vote dropping classic to 3 months, because I prefer 3 months, and because it was said up front that it will be revisited. If the server becomes a ghost town at some point, will the number of legal boxes be revisited, or is the whole no box thing set in stone from classic till it dies around Luclin or GoD?
  2. Simone Augur

I think this is exactly why there is a whole thread about the viability of a no-box server. Anyway it seems like the plan is to use a different EverQuest client to run it that wouldn't allow multiple accounts to be logged in on the same computer so it seems unlikely that it would be changed to allow boxes in eventually and if they did it would take away from the server's main selling point.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  3. Batbener Augur

Well, that thread is about the viability of a no box server. My question is are they going to change it from a no box server if it ceases to be viable. Kinda the same thing, kinda not the same thing. And if, at some point, the server isn't selling, then the main selling point would become moot.

If it's no boxes ever under any circumstance, then I am probably not going to play on it. If the possibility of boxes is open at some point, then I know others will not want to play on it. I get why DBGs wouldn't want to clarify at launch, and I am sure they get why I would want it clarified.
  4. Rykard Augur

Batbener,

I understand that you want an answer prior to commiting to the server. I will assume that you would prefer this server as you think it will be a lower population that RF and LJ.

I feel it is kind of disrespectful to the "no-box" crowd. They are specifically asking for it to be no box but, you as a boxer are asking when it would or could be opened to boxing. I think staying on the current progression servers will achieve your desired play and still respect their wishes.

Rykard
    Simone likes this.
  5. Lifetap Augur

I think a no boxes server will create a stronger community. With less boxes comes more interaction, and more content per player.
  6. Steampunk Augur

I bet you are the kind of person who wants a guarantee that it won't rain before buying tickets to Disneyland. Sometimes, you just gotta follow your heart and hope for the best. Life doesn't issue very many guarantees.
    Simone likes this.
  7. Goodnews Augur

I haven't logged in to EQ for a couple of months. As such, I've fell out of the loop with current and upcoming news. A no-box server would definitely bring me back.

The worry and fuss about a possible server and the way its set up and run is nearly comical. If you hold negative, gloomy thoughts about the chances of a no-box server, the answer seems pretty simple. Isn't there around 20 or so servers that offer boxing? I can not help but chuckle to find a contingent of players still lobbying to keep no-box servers offline or short-lived.

Grab some fresh air. A month or two away from the game gives a fresh perspective when you return to visit the forums.

As for me, I'll visit periodically to see if a new no-box server will ever become a reality. Until then, I'll play other games. The fact that this topic is even still being discussed tells me I am not alone.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  8. Zhutuak Augur

I would honestly like to see a vote, if it truly is no box or no bot that people want. I am thinking we are going to get a decision made w/o actually finding out. Which would not surprise me.
  9. rick Augur

I would also LIKE to see it that there is less guild control over who does what or goes where ..

PoS is just one such issue atm..

I have been to several areas this weekend and you can't take your character who is at level to get items as they are over camped by max levels farming for items to sell (the eyes in the gorge have been farmed by the same 2 peopel (unless it is multi boxed by the same person) for the past 4 days almost constantly.. both characters are 50th level (i coned them and as i am 49th level at the time it is easy to tell even with them in RP and both from the same guild) with the monk reposting them to death as he is afk for most if not all of it (at least he only sits on the one side though)..

AND EVERY item for named seems to be the same forcing players to farm for gold and pay way too much for the items THEY should be able to get themselves..
  10. Batbener Augur

Actually I would prefer to play on the no box server, because I like grouping and only playing one toon. However, I don't like the idea of playing that one toon only until PoP, when a lot of the no box crowd will leave. At least that is my assumption. If my assumption is correct, is it a situation that will be revisited? It seems a simple, straight forward question.

To use the Disneyland analogy of another poster, it's like asking if they issue rain checks. I was wanting a clarification of policy, or at least a discussion by the community on if they would be open to boxes at a later date.
  11. Vaclav Augur

A) TLPs have died at different eras each batch so far. Can we stop repeating the "GoD killed them" mantra? It's as true as any other religion - fools will see it that way, people that look through at the actual data we've got see a completely different picture.

The only consistency has been around 18-24 months people seem to get bored and leave - not any specific expansion. It was around TSS when Combine finally started hitting "low" numbers on TLP1.0 and even then it was more lively than current Fippy.

B) I think the key is to make sure that people don't leave - rather than putting eggs in a basket for when they do. As such if they plan in advance to remove the boxing limits in advance it should be during the Merc expansion (since fundamentally they're boxes from a gameplay standpoint) - anything before that should be in the "wait and see" category.
  12. Vaclav Augur

FYI, a number of us plan to push hard for the NoBox to have an accelerated start - Velious seems a slamdunk from people, Luclin-PoP have a reasonable interest level - so you might well be talking about 3-6 months into the server with that assumption.

Many of us have now learned that while load balancing is nice without raid instancing the raid content amount in Classic doesn't allow people to spread out well enough to feel like a real old school server. PaperworkQuest sucks and I'd imagine most people want to do whatever they can to avoid that - so either raid instancing (which they've said won't happen) starting in Classic or an accelerated start to when content is enough to no longer demand instancing.
  13. Machen New Member

Better to just let the server die off and make it crystal clear to everyone that a no box server is not viable long term.