Box friendly improvement

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Flatchy Court Jester

Gee I thought everyone ran around with the map open to see if they dropped off half their group. To heck with looking out for see invis mobs or obstacles in your way. Lets also go back to staring at a spell book as we med as well. Some ideas are to actually make things better, just because it does not effect you does not mean it does not effect someone else.

Dragging a corpse is simple mode , that thing sticks to me like glue. Make autofollow like THAT!
  2. kookoo Augur

my in game audio trigger , * canceling auto-follow* .
    that trigger : first , or second or third ect, so i know which toon is not following anymore.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  3. Simaril Apprentice

You will never shut up complainers. You give them something, they will complain about something else. Complainers are only happy when there is something to complain about, and they will go out of their way to find things if their current existence in game is "perfect".

Complaints are good, as long as they are done respectfully. Many of the improvements to Everquest came about because of complaints, or if you prefer, user feedback. Events were either fixed or tunes, new features were added, quality of life improvements were done.

I just think there is a lot of people who forget that they are not in charge. Devs are, devs and their board of directors are in control and in charge.

Yes, players aren't in charge, but players can cause change with their voice. As I've stated before, remember the old days before mercs and when you had to run to get your corpse? Times have changed. The whole reason mercs were added was because players had problems finding groups. So the devs added them in response.

I would rather see the complainers just leave instead of catering to their every whim and desire. If that means a quarter of the players are gone, then a quarter of the players are gone. And what you are left is a bunch of happy players who love playing EQ and grouping up and doing stuff together and having fun in a MMO, instead of trying to turn this game into Baldurs Gate.

Maybe the boxers love Everquest as well and just want to play the game they love their way? As long as it's within the rules and they aren't infringing on your fun, what do you care? And even if all the boxers vanished, then the forums would just go back to the raiders versus groupers complaints, ah the good old days!

Bardy McFly likes this.
  4. Razorfall Augur

As someone that boxes regularly: Oh heck no
  5. Velisaris_MS Augur

Of course, you know what the devs would say to that: "Just let your other toons get killed and drag them to where you want to go...you have rez tokens, right? Problem solved!"
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  6. Bernel Augur

I would hope they could fix /follow without making the following toons be inert. Quite often I want the following toons to be active. I might want my bard to be playing songs or I might want to switch over to a boxed toon to have that toon do something. If I'm doing something like move-fight-move-fight-move..., I would want all toons to be active so I can switch to fighting right away. I'm not just moving to a camping spot and staying there.
  7. MacDubh TABLES!!!

It has been proven that autofollow can work amazingly unfortunately it is also illegal... I wish EQ would poach some 3rd party developers to bring the amazing QoL improvements in to the core game.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This!

I have a habit when I'm not boxing of auto following on the ranger or tank when we are moving camps, especially at the moment while I'm not sure where the see invis are. If I'm with the tank, he will be with me when I agro stuff. :)
  9. Manafasto Augur

I have never been a fan of boxing but I did duo box for a while. To me EQ is more fun playing with people piloting 1 character. However I do see why people multibox. EQ could really use a lot of improvements.
  10. Flatchy Court Jester

Guess I should have said dont suggest audio triggers cuz I knew it was coming heh , I shut all sounds off and have the stereo on while playing. Kinda funny cuz first 15 years or so I was probably the only person playing EQ that heard the fighting music every time they hit attack
  11. Bardy McFly Augur

They should just combine efforts and bring the outside code base in house as an open source solution both for official EQ and everyone else. Shed that archaic impossible to maintain legacy codebase that they have to deal with now. DPG should be able to focus on content creation rather than constantly fixing bugs.
  12. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Boxer's have ruined the game all they do is play with themselves!
    MacDubh likes this.
  13. Act of Valor The Newest Member

14. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I appreciate your recent anti-cheat posts Act of Valor.

/salute.
  15. Bardy McFly Augur

Bringing this thread back on topic. I fully agree that, even outside boxing, they definitely have opportunity for lots of QoL improvements with regard to too many clicks. It's not EQ2 bad yet, but we don't want it to get to that point, either.
  16. Bernel Augur

One low effort thing would be to allow the user to create a banner or something to identify the character that can clearly be read when alt-tabbing. Something like this (improvised with hotbars):

[IMG]

And the window title itself should have the account name or character name. Right now all the windows are named "EverQuest", but it would be more helpful if they were named something like "EverQuest: AccountName" or "EverQuest: Soandso". This would make it easier to land on the correct window when alt-tabbing to get to a different character.
    Fenthen likes this.
  17. Bardy McFly Augur

I don't even need to take a screenshot now because we can just use yours. Do what other applications do:

Everquest - CharacterName

Then you would even be able to discern characters just from the taskbar and popup alt-tab window.

I didn't read everything you wrote until I started typing. I agree. :p
  18. Dre. Altoholic

Pipe dream: let me run all of my boxes from the same client so I don't have to tab between 8 windows.

Practical goals: Running characters around is what sucks the most. While it'd be great to have autofollow improvements that persist through zones, the best quick win I can think of would be the ability to drop campfires as a group leader.
    Metanis and Bernel like this.
  19. kookoo Augur

i box up to 6 toons ( never used a 3rd party software to help boxing ) but i use casters who are easier to box, i group a lot as well but i always bring my toons,{ if not being in an instance } having 2 groups to whack at mobs ( when i keep my other toons out of group ) , mobs die faster.

i would like to have /follow to work better, my guess it is the distance between toons who don't help following.....
    i do the same but on my mage , if something aggro pet jump right away on it, and if other toons failed to /follow i can coh them. got my chanter to ae mez if needing too.
  20. uberkingkong Augur

One thing I really like about EQ in terms of boxing is the Background FPS slider.

For me, CPU can get maxed out pretty but if I put it to 10 FPS, can get a lot of boxes going. On a not so good PC could squeeze our a few boxes.

Having 32GB RAM, is more than enough so don't have to worry about RAM. I dod remember back in 2000s, RAM was more of an issue than CPU.

So kudos on whoever made the Background FPS slider, that is a box friendly UI right there.