BL pet vs Mage pet...

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Panikker, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Panikker Elder

In terms of soloing with a tank pet is BL pet ok ? or mages earth pet better for tank soloing ? Whats the difference or rank in damage/tank between mage pet and BL pets? And is there anything wrong going wood elf for BL? I know ogres have more stam/str ..is that better than agil/dex? ..have never played a BL ..just curious of what they can do ...
  2. Brohg Augur

Ogre > * for bst because of immunity to frontal melee stun, important when tanking (which you will, most of the time, when soloing and even sometimes grouping, as a beastlord). You don't get sweet shrub pet or racial Sneak skill, but them's the breaks.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Yimin Augur

I know I did not want Wood Elf Bst ,I don't know one person that wanted it in fact , everyone I ask wanted Gnome Bst .To answer your question nothing wrong with you picking a Wood Elf .

And as for soloing with Mage or Bst both can do it , but when it comes to pet toughness, Mage has the edge , but Bst has slow and better heals for pet and herself ...As for DPS pet , Mage has the edge again ,when she is using her water pet

Yi Min
  4. Stubar Augur

This a million times. If the size and look of the ogre bugs you (to each their own I guess!), there are a gazillion illusion and shrink items.
  5. Khauruk Augur

Ogre > all for beastlords. Frogloks might have had an edge for style if they were implemented, but since they weren't...well, no dice. When sneak was really useful for quests and such Vah Shir had some uses, but now you're just a dumb cat. (Yes, I hate vah shir).

There's so much ancillary utility, as well - excellent self cures, the heals are better, more pulling ability (though still not great), etcetera.

If you're actually solo, I'd go with Bst over Mage. If you're a grouper that gets tougher, if you're a raider I think it's a very clear choice.
  6. Goooop New Member

If the pet is the one tanking, why would the frontal stun immunity help so much....
  7. Igniz Augur

Apparently, you are not a Beastlord, but rather a (Thread-)Necromancer :p

As to your question, perhaps the Beastlord is tanking himself in Khauruk's scenario, with the pet being the damage dealer from the rear arc of the mob.
  8. Goooop New Member

no not yet, asking because I'm making one shortly...

I'm not familiar with this scenario, something about it precludes the pet tanking?
  9. Igniz Augur

Well, for raid-geared beastlords, it's normally more feasible to tank themselves, as they can take a punch better than their pets. Not so much for the group geared BL, though.

Also, until half a year ago, pets could not hold aggro against players in range. Luckily, this was remedied in Nov 2015. But some of the old preconceptions apparently still stick :)
  10. Goooop New Member

Ok thanks - doubt I will ever have raid gear

it's going to be hard to not choose fuzzy kittah, even though I know ogre racial is useful
  11. Igniz Augur

Go kitty ;) Kitties are the best!
  12. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Does raidgear really make you a better tank than your pet? That's surprising to me. Or is it just that your pet can't generate enough aggro at that point?
  13. Igniz Augur

I actually don't have a high-level BL myself, so I am dependant on hearsay from colleagues, so pls take anything I write with a grain of salt. Sad fact though is, that pets have been severly reduced in AC, so I assume it's really the added AC from raidgear (and of course the additional hitpoints) that make BL able to tank better than their warders. I can imagine though, that the break-even is reached even earlier, considering how much the gear is improving every expansion, while pets have been stagnated for a bit now.
  14. Goooop New Member

course I just found out you can get illusions for your pet too...guess I should try and find a list of the options there before deciding )
  15. Ravengloome Augur

Raid gear is like 60k more Hp and 2000 to 3000 more ac

It shouldn't be too surprising.
  16. savrin Augur

Raid geared beasts take hits better than their pets so it makes sense for them to tank mobs. Also, even with pet taunt on a bst will still outagro their pet(with ease) for the most part between nukes and melee abilities.

Sadly during raids the real tanks(warriors and such) will remind me all the time to turn my pets taunt off.
    Gundolin likes this.
  17. Brohg Augur

pet taunts are haxey goodness during some raid events, but they're literal killers in others
  18. Rakayn New Member

Just posting for anyone else that happens to come here looking for info, at 105 with group or raid gear a BST pet is absolutely amazing (assuming you have all the defensive AAs maxed) make sure you use sekmoset's protection buff instead of aggression and it will make your pet super beefy and generate more aggro.

For my group, I am the puller and main dps while my pet tanks, my wife heals (druid) and we both use caster mercs. From my experience the only time my pet struggles is when he is tanking 3 mobs yellow-red but all I do is start casting my beastlord pet heals when needed and keep the mobs slowed.

I would never recommend trying to tank over your pet when doing current content. Even with raid gear you will get hit hard.
  19. Rakayn New Member

For straight up soloing, my pet can tank 1 mob at a time in all current content without the need for a healer merc. However 2 mobs at once can get tricky and it is easier to have a healer merc out so you can focus primarily on damage.
  20. Stubar Augur

Having raid gear helps, but isn't the end all be all. There's tread that where someone said that current content couldn't be done by a beastlord in group gear. So I went to test and put group gear on and demonstrated that it could be done. I'm not going to necro the thread but it's buried somewhere.

It wasn't super easy mode like you are in raid gear, however it wasn't hard mode either. It just requires you to pay attention, use defensive discs at the correct time as well as burns.

At the end of the day, you're going to die.....a lot....until you find your play-style. First and foremost, start slow in a hot-zone with weaker enemies (if that still exists) and as you get more comfortable, branch out and make sure that you have fun doing it.