Best windows for EQ?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by superman, Oct 6, 2016.

1. superman Augur

May be in the wrong forums section but from what I see the newer game has much better graphics and may require a better computer.

i3 processor with 4 gigs of ram and EQ is so choppy I can't play my enchanter at al. I remember running it smoothly on 512 ram back in the day. My brain can only conclude its windows 10 because it only does it when windows 10 updates and then I gotta reset my entire computer, redownload EQ, and the worst part.....remake all my hotkeys. I can't figure out how to keep 10 from automatically updating so i'm planning on switching windows.

Any idea's on what will run eq best while also keeping basic office functions, access to my google account and Microsoft cloud. (software illiterate I know :)
  2. Trevalon Augur

The latest Windows 10 update totally breaks EQ for many people and makes it almost unplayable. Rollback to the last version and turn off automatic updates and you should be good.
  3. Warrior007 53 61 74 6f 73 68 69

I'm a big fan of the borderless (or 1 pixel) windows in 10. Not so much the mandatory anniversary updates though.
  4. sirelothar New Member

Windows 10 works flawlessly. I'm sure Windows 7 is fine too. If you're after a good borderless experience, I suggest you google Borderless Gaming and use that for EQ. Works perfectly for me.
  5. superman Augur

Never heard of borderless........I will give it a google though, I think I've got automatic updates turned off now..... but will still take a look at borderless. thanks!
  6. Kelandi Elder

Which setting in W10 actually disables (for good) auto updates? I was under the impression that W10 will download new updates in the background, no matter what setting you change.
  7. superman Augur

That's what I thought kelandi, I don't know where I got that preconceived idea. I googled it though and a youtube video walked me through it.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

That sucks. I'm using Windows 10 on 4 different computers (one desktop, 3 laptops) and don't have any issues. Mine all have Nvidia graphics cards FWIW.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

My oldest laptop is an i5 with 4 GB RAM. Probably not that different from what you have. It runs EQ fine on Windows 7. Haven't tried Windows 10 on that laptop. It has an Nvidia 310M so a little better than onboard but not much. Turn off stuff like shadows, dynamic lighting, spell effects, etc.

Uh... just save them off somewhere. They're in UI_Yournamehere_phinigel.ini and/or Yournamehere_phinigel.ini I think.
  10. Rawrnika New Member

I don't have my laptop handy but I think it's like computer config\administrative\windows components\windows update and set it to never.

It does work as I've not had to deal with it since.
  11. Gremin Augur

I always game on 64 bit version of windows but my best results so far have been Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

Up your ram imo also...windows os a resource hog.
  12. Baka Journeyman

What are the details of your computer? Laptop or desktop......power supply size.....video card?
    besides the standard malware cleaning, you may be able to improve gaming somewhat with a few upgrades.

However, it comes down to how much you would spend on the upgrades vs a new computer which incorporates those upgrades.
  13. Dre. Altoholic

I worked with a guy who ran one of his boxes on a Cyrix M2 back in the day. Truth is the game engine has been updated many times, the old sys req are not relevant anymore.
    The "i" number of an Intel CPU isn't actually very descriptive anymore as it could refer to any one of seven generations of i3/i5/i7 CPU's.
  14. superman Augur

laptop, onboard intel HD 5500 graphics card.
    EQ ran buttery smooth on ragefire with 3 boxes on this same computer and most graphics setting on (except on raids). So i'm sure it's the windows updates because this is the 3rd time I've rolled it back and it went to playing smooth again. This is the only time I've actually known I could stop automatic updates though.

The game is currently downloading again from the 3rd reset so hopefully turning off the updates worked! thanks for the tips everyone.
  15. Gremin Augur

Onboard graphic card card imo is your issue.
  16. Baka Journeyman

If it ran as well as you say before, then you are likely right about some update being the cause. Except for doing a good malware scan I do not have any suggestions, sorry.
  17. superman Augur

well, as far as I can tell, No update was done this time and when I logged in this morning it was terrible again...(buttery smooth last night).......so malware scan I guess it is. any suggestions?
  18. jeskola pheerie

Integrity from Marvin ultrex for fiberglass. They are the best windows to watch RL pass you by.