Best way to bail from bad groups?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by dundada3100, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Lily Augur

You mean to say a bus didn't really jack knife in your front yard?
  2. Bigstomp Augur

Maybe pet vs npc push, but npcs still push npcs. Helpers in grelliths get some pretty good push going on the queen.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  3. Naugrin Augur

Lol.....busted!
  4. Elricvonclief Augur

It comes down to do you help folks out, or are you in the game for purely yourself? This is a MMO, perhaps a single player game would suit you better?

Personally, I'd rather help folks out, as it hopefully will increase the number of skilled players in the guild/server/game.
  5. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Now, hang on. I've gotta be one of the most helpful people in the game. The thing is, I don't always have the time or the inclination to help everyone.

Also, while I know my own class very well, and can, and do offer helpful advice; and I know quite a bit about some other classes, there are some that I know little about, and the extent I could offer them advice is "A SK should be able to hold aggro, and pull, and tank, and swarm. I've seen other SKs do those things. I don't know why you can't." Which is something I never say because it seems rude, even though I suppose it could be helpful.

In the past, I've tried introducing bad players to good players of the same class, and even grouping with them both at the same time. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't. I think it varies as much on the teaching ability of the good player as the learning ability of the bad one.
  6. Elricvonclief Augur

Valid point Quest, you can try to help, but if they are unwilling/unable to learn, you have done all you can.
  7. Burdi Augur

They are several strategies:
    1) You can insult every body in the group, making them understanding how lame and terrible they really are. Then you can pretend it was your sister who played, or that your account has been hacked.
    2) do the same thing pretending you are role playing.
    3) pretend to have an irl problem that requires your attention, ( sorry my dog sheeted on the carpet).
    4) try to teach, but this is not fun.
  8. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

While you may not enjoy teaching, it's often fast "Check out this site, it's for your class." or "Are you using this spell before that one?" and can result in a good player who feels indebted to you for helping them. They can become good friends which makes it all worth it.
  9. Sinestra Augur

A lot of players don't know the little tricks to the classes including people who have played the class for over a decade. Spell and AA descriptions are often misleading or seem to be written by someone who is purposely hiding what the ability is supposed to do to the player or they focus on one aspect of the ability while downplaying the most important one.

Not everyone is a number cruncher and not everyone is interested in reading a few novels and searching for the most relevant information for weeks on their classes. EQ is complicated in a lot of ways. It is not at all intuitive.

Another game that I play, Guild Wars 2, has portions of the game like this too. There are skills that trigger different abilities when cast inside area effects. As the class I play, a Mesmer, I have an ability to use a shield spell on myself. It is reusable every so many seconds, but if I, or another person casts an area effect, I can use a second ability that not only does what it would normally do (knock me away from the mob) but it also triggers that shield effect. Although you can find out about these specialty actions, it isn't always obvious.

There are people that want to play well, but need a bit of help. This is why we should have had a mentoring system put in years ago, but our devs just keep giving us stupid excuses.