Best time for EQ3 is now

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Jul 23, 2023.

1. FYAD Augur

I mean, they tried to call it EQ"Next" and got real close, but dumped it at the last minute. There have been other false starts at a new EQ that never saw the light of day. So, they've tried to do exactly what you want, more than once. But for one reason or another, it just never works. So IDK what would be different if they tried again in the near future.
    Paladin likes this.
  2. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Sadly, I think this is the best point. Many EQ players won't be around for a new game. Success would depend on any of our kids being interested in playing a modern EQ. This feels so morbid, but it's sadly the truth.
  3. FYAD Augur

They'd probably be better of making a new EQOA single player game instead of a new MMO.
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yup alot of old timers play and keep this game alive.
  5. Angahran Augur

Nope.

What is the fascination with jumping on the latest and greatest thing every 5 minutes ?
    Many of us have been here for years if not decades.
    We have friends.
    We have memories.

Maybe you are willing to give that up for pretty graphics, if so nothing is stopping you from finding a new game you will enjoy.

But PLEASE enough with the "we need a pretty EQ".

EQ has been used as a cash cow for so many failed projects it's not funny. If that money had been invested back n EQ we might even have ship to ship combat... or cloaks!
    Hobs and Nennius like this.
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

I actually like the way EQ looks, compared to many others that came after. I would however cheer improvements to the functionality.
  7. Alnitak Augur

Yup, EQ looks exciting! Especially when logging into PoK lag pile and the bare-naked females stand there for a while while wearables textures get loaded up. Oh, those drakkin wood elf and barbarian ladies! Such a delight!
    Fenthen likes this.
  8. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Again, Everquest 3 would not delete Everquest. Your character will still be there, your friends won't go away, you won't forget your memories.

What a weird thought process.
    Brontus and Skuz like this.
  9. Svann2 The Magnificent

Something has to change. Every year it seems we get less new content than the year before.
    Skuz and Hobs like this.
  10. Tucoh Augur

leaked SS of EQ3's iksar berserker model

[IMG]
    Hobs and Nennius like this.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

/cue song about lonely people.
  12. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

If there was going to be a new EQ property, I think it would be highly unlikely to be an MMO. Persistent world MMOs are a lot more expensive to produce and maintain than multiplayer single instance games and from the recent launches of games, those appear to sell a lot better now, too.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

The new EQ franchise will be called...... Overseer!
    Hobs and FYAD like this.
  14. Dre. Altoholic

I'm dreaming of an EverQuest: Dungeon Crawler - ARPG preferably on Steam. Co-op up to 6 characters or play offline and level up / customize your character in depth.

Basically designed to be a true solo EQ, plus a multiplayer lobby for when you feel like being social.
    DaciksBB and Tarvas like this.
  15. uberkingkong Augur

So sosooooo many games are coming out.

big time game here, 2 million views
    Blizzard making moves
    Bethesda making moves
    What is Darkpaw doing?????
    What is Daybreak doing?????

tiddling their thumbs while other games rack in 2MILLION plus

EQ is making profit, a few thousand profit. 2023 few thousand aint nothing.

Series are keeping the series alive like Diablo

Seriously what is EQ doing?
    The best for EQ3 is now.

Don't let some 70 year olds tell you otherwise.
    Cater to 1000 70 year olds and let the game die because they don't want to pass the torch to next generation?

What is Darkpaw doing, what is Daybreak doing? Its 2023.
    Bobokin likes this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think the answer is clear, you should apply to work for them so you can help them go the direction you would like them to.
    Nennius likes this.
  17. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Exactly! This sounds like the zero sum game or fixed pie fallacy. Before World of Warcraft, the paltry population of people playing MMOs like EverQuest was thought to be all the genre could sustain. With a total of 13 million players at the zenith of WoW, they blew EQ's population numbers out of the water.

A new EverQuest will only broaden the total population of the franchise and expose it to a new generation of gamers. Sure there may be some EQ players that stop playing EQ and migrate to EQ3 but overall it will be a net positive for Darkpaw.
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not sure 13 million players is something to brag about as there are plenty of games with many more players.

https://gamertweak.com/most-played-popular-games/
  19. Strawberry Augur

My problem with Starfield is that Microsoft used AI generation and "Random Procedurally Generated Quests", which is likely just a fancy name for AI.

I imagine a lot of planets will be cookie cutter AI generated copies of each other, instead of unique hand crafted experiences.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That does put a hard limit on how much content is in the game.