Best race for paladin?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by superman, Aug 3, 2017.

1. superman Augur

Thinking dwarf or high elf. I've never played one so was curious if there was any certain races that had major advantages over others. Also if there was any certain diety's i needed to pick for any kind of cultural items.

Thanks for any input :)
  2. MaestroM Augur

Dwarf is kinda the obvious best for min-maxing. Great melee stats, good wisdom. High Elves and Erudite are going to be encumbered forever.
  3. malaki Augur

Doesn't matter until Luclin. Once Luclin is out you race change to gnome as is proper.
    Astral64 likes this.
  4. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

It doesn't matter but see the following quote.
  5. Karanthal Augur

Egg and spoon
  6. HoodenShuklak Augur

Erudite pally shield ftw!
  7. RandomStrategy Augur

Not gonna lie, the Steelsilk armor is pretty badass.
  8. Astral64 Augur

9. Silentchaos Augur

The 20 MR mask from Innoruuk makes half elfs the best option in classic/kunark, doesn't really matter after that so obviously you'll want to change to gnome.
  10. Anhari Augur

Can someone please explain why gnome as a paladin, other than tinkering?
  11. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

Gnome.
  12. code-zero Augur

13. Malachi Augur

Am I the only one that didn't fall for this trick question?

The answer is no.
  14. Green_Mage Augur

Mithaniel Marr has the best idol (30hp 10 sta 4 wis and 9 ac) and Brell has the worst (+7 str / sta +4 wis and 7 ac). Dwarves however, get access to really good cultural armor in Kunark if I'm not mistaken (it might be different on TLP than other servers I played).

All that being said, it is hard to cap Wisdom even by Velious as a Paladin, and High Elves get the best starting wisdom. They also get good unique items, start in a good area with a good origin, and don't look bad at all IMO.

I might vote Dwarf in Kunark if they get all that cultural armor, but otherwise I think High Elf is best choice.

Edit: There is also the Charisma factor. Paladins often use pacification spells to pull which use CHA in their success check. So higher CHA is actually good for Palaidn. Just one more reason to go High Elf.
  15. Choya New Member

Play whichever race you want to enjoy, by the time PoP comes out all Paladin races are equal stat wise.
  16. -wycca Augur

There's no cultural in Kunark really, so ignore your p99 knowledge.

Dwarf for melee stats.
    High elf for wis+cha.
    Erudite for looking cooler+shield.
    Freeport human for best Trilogy origin.

Luclin and PoP isn't about stats so much as personal looks & origin. For luclin choose a race near a spire (probably Erudite or High Elf), and for PoP choose one with a good stone location.
  17. Montag Augur

If you dont plan to do your epic, high elf for the tunare only quest sword in velious is a good choice.

Ultimately probably halfling will be best for racial hide and sneak but that will mean race changing once that rwce class combo becomes available.

Or even later wood elf for tunare sword plus racial hide.

Anyone rememeber off hand which expacs halfing and wood elf pallies are tied to?
  18. superman Augur

Sounds like high elf is a win on all those, High elf it is, thanks for the input :)
  19. Dumbledorf Lorekeeper

Saw a shield of stalwart seas for sale and I was sorely tempted to remake one of my first characters to make it past lvl20 - omnislayer the erudite pally.

However, I'm having way too much fun as a necro atm.
  20. Malachi Augur

If you make a paladin i would wait till kunark atleast. Choose your favorite looking race and stick with whats pleasing visually to you. Stalwart is nice but sarnak battle shield will be infintely more available.

Twinking a character in kunark is one of my favorite experiences in Everquest.