Best Druid merc?

Discussion in 'Priests' started by ceto, Jul 14, 2021.

1. ceto Elder

Hi folks, can someone recommend a good merc for molo leveling to 85+ before I do the quest for the best Mercs? I know warrior merc is great to like 50 or so, should I stick with it till 85, or switch to another class of merc when mobs start to destroy him at higher levels?

Thanks
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

up to 50/55, stick with melee or wizzy merc. Tanking is good enough, DPS is much better. Then you may have to swap to tank merc.

Once high level, you'll have to accept fighting in zones below your level, that's just the way it is. Then, tank merc if you need it, else melee merc.
  3. ceto Elder

Thank you.
  4. Neale Povar Lorekeeper

My tank merc does pretty good. she has successfully tanked zladicar, and I can molo current content (shaman, tank merc)
  5. ceto Elder

Which merc? The best one after the quests or the one before that from the early levels?
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I'm guessing you have raid gear. I don't (not even close), and I assume the OP doesn't either. He'll likely find his experience more closely aligns with mine, rather than yours.

It's great that that works for you. Wish it did for me :)
  7. Neale Povar Lorekeeper

yes, the j5, the best one after the quests. My comment was more directed at the claim that at high levels you must do lower level content. While that is probably the safest bet, current content is doable. That poster is probably partially correct as classes fluctuate in effectiveness as you level

you are correct, however while i dont really know....I am fairly certain doing current content with current tradeskill group gear and fully buffed/geared/AA'd merc tank is not extraordinary. I could be wrong on that tho
  8. Szilent Augur

in what way do you envision Neale_Povar's shaman's gear influencing the tankability of their mercenary?
    Duder and menown like this.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I have no idea, but when I try to molo (not box, just me and a tank merc) current level content, there's no way I can keep the tank merc healed, and do any appreciable DPS. The tank merc's DPS is negligible, so it's a long haul fight which eventually succumbs to a damage spike.

Also, let's stay on topic, I'm a druid, OP's asking about druids, so let's leave shammies out of it. They have slow, which certainly helps, and a credible pet doing DPS like an independent DoT which doesn't need to be refreshed.
  10. Szilent Augur

You specifically called out their raid gear.
  11. Neale Povar Lorekeeper

slow does help im sure...ive never played a druid so idk about their tricks...would love to hear from more druids on this topic!

raid gear does make things easier...but what i hit, in the order i hit makes huge differences. I would assume druids are similar but again idk
  12. Fanipak frootsnak New Member

A Druid has alot of options. Me personally, I would recommend Kiting post 50 to 85. Bastion of thunder, dragon scale hills, and loping planes will be your friends. I enjoy kiting because it's not just pull, dps down, pull next, ad infinitum.... There's a certain thrill in the danger of that pack of mobs just one shotting you if they get too close, and a sense of satisfaction from aoe'ing down 10 to 15 mobs at a time. (Or whatever your mana can handle.) I'll add a couple of links though. For general reference :)

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:_Quint_Kiting

https://www.reddit.com/r/everquest/..._source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

As for what merc I would take for kiting? Either a healer for buffs/heals or a wiz Merc for added dps. If kiting isn't your thing you can root rot, but root rot makes for a sleepy druid
  13. skattabrainz Augur

I'm pretty sure the formula is tank or rogue until they stop being invincible (like 60?) Then the caster damage dealer and you snare kite with them.

This seems like it would be more efficient than healing a tank Merc with a damage shield
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Randomized Augur

Problem is, at a certain point, you have to micromanage that caster merc. Otherwise he’s going to pull aggro. Those mercs don’t follow you, they follow the mobs. So while you’re kiting, that merc is standing in one place and nuking and building aggro. So you either have to wait until you’ve established good enough aggro to hold them (at which point having a merc on standby doing nothing is pointless), or you micromanage him with passives and burns.

Druids have the potential to out DPS shamans, so there’s multiple ways you can play with a tank merc if you’d like. Root/Rot or snare and DoT up, sick the Tank merc on them, and go pull 2-3 other mobs and keep the flow going :)