Best boxed healer for a Pally ?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Venur, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Venur Lorekeeper

I have a pally alt and Im woundering wich healer I should pair with him. Cleric seems like a great choice especialy while fighting undead but a shammy would bring HP buff that stack as well as some other nice buff. Whats your opionion guys ?
  2. Ravengloome Augur

Shaman is best Synergy, Cleric a close 2nd. Either way your rock solid IF you have ample DPS.
    code-zero likes this.
  3. Venur Lorekeeper

What is ample dps ?
  4. Sanh Elder

Shammy by far.
  5. Khauruk Augur

Shammy or druid both rock.
  6. Ravengloome Augur

IE have a real DPSer in group... Otherwise the best partner for a Paladin is a Necro or Monk
    code-zero likes this.
  7. shiftie Augur

The number one healer relies heavily on is that healer a box.

Number one non boxed partner cleric. Hands down you can achieve more... a well known cleric and I obliterated content. Number one boxed healer is a shaman because they can contribute more while doing less allowing you to focus more on the tank.

The combo I played the most and found a lot of success with was pal/ranger he .5 casts made for seamless alt tabbing if you wanted to stay busy. Second was pal bard dps was rather poor though until wiz mercs got beefy. I also loved pal necro but the necro was never brought up to snuff and I'd rather main a necro than box it just too much left on the table boxing it. I enjoyed pal/wiz a lot during voa.
    Mykaylla likes this.
  8. Ravengloome Augur

I don't want to contradict you, but I am going to raise a counterpoint to what your saying.

1) I would say cleric hands down is the best boxed healer for any of the tanks reason being the sheer capability/capacity to heal quickly. Set up a multibind for blast heals, an Assist group HOT/Nuke Heal macro, and hotkey your 2.0/Divine Arb + Beacon in close proximity and your pretty much golden.

2) I would say a poorly boxed shaman will not get you nearly as far as a poorly boxed cleric.

I think the main point though that I want to reiterate is. Your a Paladin and there is access to cleric mercs... If your thinking about boxing a healer, think really hard about it. Your going to make FAR FAR more progress in a much more timely fashion boxing a DPS class, over boxing a healer. < Unless your skill level at healing while boxing is already good.
  9. shiftie Augur

Clerics are more reactive healers than shaman. They require more attention and as such when not boxed provide the greatest potential in multi tanking scenarios. When boxed though the situation flips to favor things like counterbias and dots.
  10. Abazzagorath Augur

Cleric if swarming (for shining). Otherwise shaman between those two. If you're actually boxing you're not doing it for experience (you should be getting a lot more exp pure solo if you need exp), but to complete missions, camp something, etc. Shamans add a pretty decent dps boost, buffs, add a pet to get more lion procs, etc.

Heck, let the cleric merc heal. I almost never use heal spells with my shaman except the group heals on named that AE a ton, because one cleric merc (or two) is more than enough healing.

Make a FTP account, PL a cleric up to the 90s for one of the shining spells, use that for outside group shining buffs when soloing, use your shaman on a real account to help box stuff. I'd focus on dot/nuke aa before heal aa, and let the merc heal.
  11. shiftie Augur

A cleric can add about 250-350k dps to a swarm of appropriate size, just to add to this. (it might be more my memory is hazy).

A paladin/healer merc should be able to do any content. I highly recommend someone who can track or can dps or augment the things a paladin lacks like cc or a big boom for named mobs. A wiz fits that bill the best with a nuke macro and the added benefit of fixed invis and ports.
  12. Venur Lorekeeper

Just to add, I'm aware that adding a DPS or a puller would be the best option but I just feel like leveling all 3 priest class and paire them with my Pally and SK alt in the process. The third one I'll probably just leveling solo or pair him with some DPS class.
  13. Ravengloome Augur

Shaman if Paladin
    Druid if SK

Cleric if you are decent boxing a healer + Have friends to group with < it makes some of the "harder" group missions easy.
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Daegun Augur

Shaman if no other slowers, always. All 3 priests heal great - clerics are strongest but its overkill. An added factor is paladin self healing is great, making that extra healing from a cleric further overkill.

Shamans - slows, heals, hots, dots, adps
    Druids - heals, ac debuff aa, nukes, ports

All 3 get the job done. For a pally, I'd make one if the lesser priests and make that choice on weighing the 'other' they bring to the table. Shamans, though are one of the most powerful classes in game. Not tip tops at anything other than slows, but solid enough healer to always get the job done on top of everything else.

Play what makes you happy.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  15. Brosa Augur

I've boxed my warrior with a shammy for years. I have also boxed him with a cleric. Shammy hands down. You get slows #1, Defensive proc slows #2, Endless buffs #3, Solid healing #4. I can go all day in fights with those two. Shammies never run out of mana at high levels. I MT and MH with my guildies all the time at end game content with no problem.
  16. shiftie Augur

17. Elricvonclief Augur

I've known paladins who have run both shaman and druids. While both are viable, the shaman was always the front runner when it came to what he could do.
  18. Brosa Augur

What's your point Shiftie. I was giving him my perspective on shammy as a tank not from a class point of view. Thought that was obvious.
  19. Sanh Elder

He doesn't want your perspective as a tank. He wants perspective with respect to a Pally. Subtle, but big difference.
  20. Brosa Augur

Ok then let me rephrase and specify my input to appease you.

I have played a shammy for years. Over the years I have also played a cleric. While cleric heals are superior, the shammy heals are more than adequate. The game isn't full of undead so you will want those shammy slows (75% direct and 25% defensive proc). You can't beat shammy buffs. I think that's well documented and not needing explaination here. Although clerics have some good ones other then ac increases in spell haste, reverse ds and vie line. I can go all day in fights main healing and adding support dps. Shammies never run out of mana at higher levels. That's casting not stop for hours. Also with two VP line knock back roots a shammy can also do a little crowed control.