Best 1-105 Molo class for returning player

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Terranos, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Terranos Elder

I know there are a bunch of threads about this and I am reading through some of those, but I wasn't sure how the recent pet mitigation nerf changed things if at all.

Basically I want to be able to maximise my ability to do as much of the heroes journey by myself, I can have access to casual membership in a raid guild if there is something I am stuck on but mostly want to do as much as I can myself.

I was leaning toward Beastlord, Necro or Enchanter.

I am under the impression that Beastlords are in a good place now that their pets can tank for them, is this viable in dungeon/multi pull scenarios?

Can Necro pets tank sufficiently without raid focus to solo group content?

Is Enchanter still a viable solo class or more of a second or 3rd box?

Any other strong molo class that I should consider?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Raptorjesus5 Augur

If you want to be able to do the most content with a single class, I would choose Necromancer for the simple fact they have the biggest bag of tricks of any class.
    Terranos likes this.
  3. Myrnyyk Journeyman

Honestly (I play necro), you don't need the merc with necro, and I'll pull out the cleric merc just for insurance on tough battles or the wiz merc if I want to burn something. You can dot kite all the way to 105, and pre-TBM named can mostly be handled with just chaining swarm pets + DOTs. I still haven't figured out a good way to handle named that do these ridiculous mana drains (which like every TBM named does....)
    Terranos likes this.
  4. Potawatomi Augur

Mage, Necro, Beast, Ench off the top of my head. Especially beast it would seem with the recent pet changes and being able to melee while pet tanks. Pet classes can solo most content.
    Terranos and Gundolin like this.
  5. Random_Enchanter Augur

Enchanters are very strong Molo and even Solo classes. The problem within is do you really want to have to learn and be on point for ~ twice the amount of strategies to take the same stuff down.
    Simply put, an active player who knows the enchanter class can do a vast majority of content. if you don't want to devote the time, its more of a 2ed or 3rd box.

Rangers i would think could. Root arrowing mobs down or snare and arrow killing mobs down can be done.
    Terranos likes this.
  6. Omnicronimous Journeyman

I've been quite successful with a Paladin coupled with a Wizard merc. thus far. I have yet to get into higher level content, but I'm very happy with how they've worked together for me.
  7. Yimin Augur

I play all three pet class and I enjoy the Bst most now .... This could change however , I raid on Mage and Bst, Necromancer is just to easy for me , it bore me to no end ....
  8. Imminent Journeyman

Necro or mage, I would suggest avoiding the chanter for a single molo toon. While it was certainly possible to charm tank in a lot of the older expansions, it got a whole lot harder in the 75+ level range finding content that was suitable for charm tanking and especially 85-100.
  9. Ultrazen Augur

Eh, at this point I'd go beastlord if I could only single box. BLs have so much flexibility in the way that you can approach content. Necro is a great choice as well, but I actually prefer the flexibility of the BL nowdays. Chanters are great up the point where it gets tough to charm/molo. There is a dead spot for chanter from probably 75-100 or so. Still a great class though.

There are a lot of ways to molo, with a lot of classes, it really depends on the play style you enjoy. Heck, a ranger can be a great molo class depending on content. The best thing about chanter and necro, is they are less gear dependent.
  10. runecrow Elder

All I can say is that, of all the characters I've soloed (to level 30 or so- only my WIZ is beyond the level 30 bracket), the BST is the only one that never died. Not even once. Not even close. My other characters will die, maybe every five levels or so, sometimes moreso- but the BST? She rolled through everything without breaking a sweat. I would've stuck with the character but then I remembered all the hard work of skilling-up my wizard, and all the stuff I'd have to do over again, so just went back to the wizard for good.
  11. runecrow Elder

and that is without a merc. I can't imagine having had a merc with the BST as well.
  12. Gnomeland Augur

Going 1-105 is very different from going 85-105, as a lot of the classes got boosts in the higher levels, which did not get applied to the lower levels. Warrior is an example - No Time to Bleed is only available at level 96, Combat Proficiency at level 85. Before these abilities, playing Warrior in any molo setting was difficult unless very twinked. The same is the case for SKs and Paladins though to a lesser degree - both of these classes got their main soloing/moloing buffs at higher levels. At the lower levels, trying to solo/molo them unless you were very twinked is difficult.

The easiest 1-105 class is Necromancer, because you have access to fast methods for gaining experience at every level by virtue of kiting. Magicians suffer during levels 60-80 due to pets at those levels being incapable of efficiently tanking the content, slowing your experience gain. Enchanters suffer around the same levels due to reverse charming not being as safe as the higher levels. Beastlords have the same problem as Magicians.

Going beyond experience, getting up to speed in today's game = running heroic adventures. Therefore, you ought to think about what classes are best for running heroic adventures, rather than what classes are best for taking down named mobs. Necromancers are fully capable of doing it, and indeed are one of the most efficient classes for running them solo. To progress further into TDS and TBM, you will eventually have to get a group to help you for progression missions and tasks, but otherwise it's easy sailing once you've gotten yourself a set of heroic adventure gear at 75.

Thus, whatever your choice, the basic path for progression in Everquest today is:

1-50: hot zones for exp, use the tank mercenary to easily level and get gear, defiant for gear, auto-grant AA
    50-75: hot zones for exp, defiant for gear, auto-grant AA
    75-95: hot zones for exp, heroic adventures for gear, auto-grant AA
    95-105: do tasks & missions for progression, then heroic adventures for exp and gear, no auto-grant AA so you'll have to grind in new zones