Berserker Request: Modify "Shared" Abilities for When Target Doesn't Have a Target

Discussion in 'Melee' started by minimind, Oct 26, 2021.

1. minimind The Village Idiot

Berserkers have a line of abilities that provides a short-duration buff on themselves and their target's target. If the berserker is tanking, the berserker receives both buffs. If the berserker is attacking something that doesn't have a target (Tantorlings, Summoners in the Zlandicar raid, combat dummies), the ability doesn't fire at all and no one gets a buff.

Request: Modify the ability so that if there is no target of target, either the berserker gets the normal buff or both buffs.

Affected abilities:
    • Shared Bloodlust
    • Shared Brutality
    • Shared Savagery
    • Shared Viciousness
    • Shared Cruelty
    • Shared Ruthlessness
    • Shared Atavism
    Raccoo and Skuz like this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Seconded
  3. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

This is a problem with all classes for target of target spells/aa/recourses/etc. At least zerkers only have one ability line affected. The heal target of target spells/abilities are probably a bigger deal overall.

I suspect that this would be a major code revision for this to change (can't just fix for one class ... would affect all of the target of target stuff. I also suspect that it is on the super long list of "things to do" for Everquest and we will see a change when we see it.

Definitely not pooping on the idea and I'd love a change. But as a community, would probably be better/stronger if we approached the developers for all target of target stuff rather than piecemeal by class.
    Maedhros likes this.
  4. Szilent Augur

Not all. Alternate ways to do t-o-t stuff already exist, and other classes use them, variably by application.

Changing this one would be a relatively minor "fix", going from a HoTT effect with a recourse (shm twinheal Gift nukes are the same) to having both sides be triggered effects à la dru twinheal Sun* Blessing spells. The alternate models have consequences in how the abilities play.

But…that the alternate models exist and aren't used suggests to me that the current formatting of Shared damage bonus for berserkers is a choice, not a bug.

Certainly a new developer could make a different choice.
  5. Krinni Journeyman

an old post but just hit tab to target yourself click the ability you get both buffs tab again to whatever you were killing that would not let the ability fire