Berserker questions.

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Norathorr, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Norathorr Augur

Hi I'm an old player from AB server. I quit during VoA. I used to really enjoy the berserker class, until they added that root disc. I could not stand playing on raids with this ability in effect as push made top tier burns impossible.

1a/b - do we still have to be rooted and if so is push 'fixed'?
    2 - are we still as reliant as ever on support classes as before compared to other melee whilst having nothing to offer other than dps (not that I have a problem with just offering dps it's why I became a berserker in the first place).
    3 - Do we still have to damage ourselves to disc whilst having to deal with group heals and regen getting in the way?

Hopefully these issues have been addressed in my absence else I feel a return is not possible as I don't fancy making a new main or getting my old main a lv 70 paladin with less than 1k aa up to scratch.

All the best,
    Ogrebane
  2. Chunk Elder

Everything is the same as you left.

We still need to be rooted and blinded to do our max (and expected) burns.

We still need the support classes to do our expected dmg. Worst handicap is no bard.

We still need to dmg ourself to start our key abilities. So no rune and it can be messed up on a poorly timed heal or kill you with a poorly timed ae ramp.

I still have fun playing and like my zerk, but I wouldn't say we are in a good place comparably to others.

People can say what they want about the issues above. I generally find none of them make the game more enjoyable or involve special tactics or strategy. They are just annoying add ons constantly defended by the devs without the dmg benefit I think the zerk community expects in relation to the detriment especially when compared to other classes.
    Norathorr likes this.
  3. Norathorr Augur

Cheers for the reply chunkilous. This is sad news indeed. Judging by the lack of activity on goberserker I am not the only berserker who got fed up with these completely mundane and futile mechanics. It was the day that my raid performance came down to total chance that I decided to pack it in. Pretty much two straight expansions I have not played for now. I started in kunark and played through to VoA. Clearly I enjoy eq a lot so it should be quite evident that a horrible dev decision has been made when such a loyal player turns round and says you know what this is a pile of crap.
  4. Phrett Augur

Chunk's response is pretty much spot on. The only silver lining that I would add is that the Devs have been bombarded (and have acknowledged in some minor way) with feedback around the detrimental effects necessary to play a beserker to their max potential. From what I've read, it seem they may consider fixing the root/blind portions at some point in the future... they will not, however, remove the self-damaging aspect completely around some of our discs.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but that's the latest tone I've been privy to...
    Norathorr likes this.
  5. Norathorr Augur

The blind was not so bad as at least battle leap could be utilised to counter it and made for quite a fun unique way of playing. The root however is just frustrating and unnecessary. No class in the game has to put up with such severe handicaps, with simultaneously so little to show for it. In its current form the Berserker is pretty much worthless and a wasted place on a raid or in a group in many cases.

The self harm I can deal with so long as its implemented in an interesting way. Take for example when we get low on end if we could start hacking into our own hp pool to gain endurance that would be both useful and interesting and representative of the berserker pushing himself to his physical limits in order to supplement his rage. Simply damaging ourselfs by clicking a button so we can just click another button is neither interesting nor very berserk. Given rune effects, AE ramp, regen effects and wayward heals this mechanic is simply frustrating. It is in absolutely no way entertaining or immersive. Im shocked that this nonsense has been in place for 2 years or more now... utterly shocked.
  6. Gragas Augur

We are stuck in someones paradigm of flawed design, sadly. On the bright side Blood dots have continued and damage on our snare as well (dripping with sarcasm).
    Norathorr likes this.
  7. Norathorr Augur

Ahh yes the damage on snare was another unwanted mess that simply made one of our oldest abilities less useful. At least with snare and fade you could make a single pull every year or so prior to damage component! The root issue actually makes me question if whoever designed that ability plays eq or knows anything about how eq works. If they know anything about playing a melee that mechanic would not have been added. In short it's utterly moronic. How come berserker is not allowed an over haste proc to make up for lack of bard when rogues and monks seem to get it? None of these things make sense. We rely more than any other class on other classes to do our job and we have a disc that in 95% of fights pretty much ensures that we can't even do our job to anywhere near the best of our ability. To make matters worse we run out of end faster than any other class and have among the worst mechanisms to get any end back. But hey on a perma rooted mob berserkers do a ton of damage so all this nonsense is warranted:p