Been away 5 years...

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Bonechips, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Bonechips New Member

I played a necro from release until 5 years ago, loved them. How's their current state? I also had a wizard and Mage (I like casters) How are they right now? So much has changed I logged in and I am COMPLETELY lost! My wife played a shaman, anyone know what their state is also? Abilities, comparisons etc. We are thinking about boosting them to 85 once we learn the game a bit more again... re-learn that is.Is that worth it? How is everyone liking the expansion? Sorry for the barrage of questions!
    Hawklight Yandli likes this.
  2. Sancus Augur

So I'm not really qualified to answer questions about non-mage classes' states, but Mages aren't doing badly at the moment.

If you played 5 years ago, I think Underfoot was current? Our pets have gone through ups and downs; they grew in strength a bit in the VoA/RoF/CotF (previous 3 expansions) era. They were nerfed towards the end of the latter expansion (necro pets were too, btw), but mage pets at least are still functioning adequately. Beyond that, our DPS got a bump with Rain spells; they're hugely more mana efficient and higher DPS than our single target spells (other than the "of many" line). This especially helps to offset our lackluster mana regeneration abilities and fairly mana intensive spells. We haven't gained too much utility, but our class "essentials," if you will, are going pretty strong at the moment.

As for re-learning, I personally think it is worth it, as I wouldn't play the game if I didn't enjoy it. It's up to you whether to make them Heroic Characters (level 85) or not. It depends whether you're looking to get into more recent content, or if you want to take your time. I've heard mixed reactions to the current expansion. I personally enjoy it, but I can definitely see why others would not. I'd suggest not being discouraged by the negativity on the boards; from my experience in game many are happy with it. Even if The Darkened Sea isn't for you, there are 6 other expansions with content for 85+, and I think you'll find somewhere in that area that you enjoy. You have the benefit of having a lot of catching up to do, which should keep you occupied even at max level if TDS isn't your thing.
  3. Venjenz_vox Venjenz_bertoxx

I just returned to necromancing after longer than 5 years away, and I'd advise starting your necro at level 1. Couple reasons:

1) I dinged 52 last night. I have 33 hours played so far. It would be faster, but I take breaks to max all 5 spell schools, I explore, shop in the Bazaar, etc. Point being, leveling does not take long, and nowhere near like it used to.

2) Spend some time at early levels getting the feel of necromancing back, where mobs don't two shot you into dust like some mobs have a tendency to later on.

3) Save the auto 85 for a class that's harder to level. Necromancers and mages are the easiest leveling classes in the game, imho.

4) Given that you'll have a shaman too, you'll be able to pull all manner of craziness, since you now have DoT stacking, plus your mercs have a healer and something giving them haste and their enemies the best Slows in the game. Why give up all the fun you two can have leveling?
  4. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Class balance is excellent. There is no class I wouldn't group or raid with. Skill is what separates one player from another, not class, except maybe at the stratospheric end-game raid guild level. Even then, I bet the top guild has all the classes, or wants the ones they're missing.
    silku, Sancus and Brohg like this.
  5. Bonechips New Member

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice!
  6. Hawklight Yandli Elder

WB!

also not a mage class so do not know.

Shamans are great! I've watched guildies level them up real fast with their War Mercs