Beastlord

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by smash, Sep 19, 2022.

1. smash Augur

Bellow of the moon, look rather underpowered to Rolling servant belonging to magicians, max for bel = 9k, Rol > 60k
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Looking at abilities in isolated comparison is not a good idea.

Comparing classes abilities only makes sense in a broader context as part of the whole package.
    Sancus and Tucoh like this.
  3. Tucoh Augur

The mage RS / Roiling Servant line is in a league of its own as a swarm pet. They are not only a huge part of their DPS but also their tanking strategy. Comparing it to the beastlord's swarm pet is like comparing the mage's melee DPS to the beastlord's melee DPS.
    Sancus likes this.
  4. Sancus Augur

At EM 30, the max non-crit hit of a pet summoned by Ander's Feralgia is 8,878, and the max non-crit hit of a Magician Riotous Servant pet is 15,225. That's a really one-dimensional comparison (Feralgia has a chance to summon four pets, RS has a shorter recast, etc.), but if you're going to make it, at least get the numbers right. As to how that translates to their output:

I do think the attack values that all swarm pets come with out of the box are a problem, as they are too low for raids. It probably makes most sense to transfer the ATK on Theft of Essence to be innate to MAG/NEC/BST swarm pets rather than adding additional auras.
    Romance likes this.
  5. smash Augur

Bst go from 8878 to 39lk with crit (em 30)

Magi from 15525 to 65k with crit(em 29)
    add the 12% for 4 bst pets.

so that is still a large difference

I guess u mean Rolling servant for magicians,
  6. Sancus Augur

Yes, I meant Roiling Servant (Riotous Servant is the level 115 version). An EM 30 Roiling Servant pet has a 15225 max normal hit and a 63164 maximum non-lucky critical hit.

Ultimately (as you can see from the parses I posted), Beastlord swarm pets are going to perform at around 2/3rds the DPS level of RS pets, modifiers equal. I don't have a strong opinion as to where the relative DPS should land, but that doesn't seem obviously unbalanced as a ratio. RS pets are one of our four core DPS spells (which contribute the vast majority of our damage), while the plurality of Beastlord damage comes from melee DPS. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for Beastlord pets to do as much DPS as RS pets, just like it wouldn't make much sense for Beastlord DoTs to do as much DPS as Necro DoTs.

DPS is a sum of all of the different parts of your DPS (melee, DoTs, DDs, procs, pets, swarm pets), and Beastlords have more parts. Each individual one is going to be smaller than classes more focused on those areas.

I will say, again, if you are interested in improving the viability of your swarm pets DPS-wise, ATK is the area to focus on IMO.
  7. dwish Augur

As a raiding beastlord, I would rather not become a class that is reliant on swarm pets, and lord knows raid instances definitely do not need anymore swarm pets running around either.
    strongbus likes this.
  8. strongbus Augur

as a raiding bst i agree with this statement. as it is I don't even use it on raids.
  9. Zunar Augur

I only use feralgia now and then to refresh growl and the swarm is a compensation for the lost melee dps from spending the time casting it imo.
    During a burn it's a big nono to cast it at all.
    It's our only dps spell with a longer cast time, making it situational at best.
  10. Szilent Augur

the damage per cast gap is remarkably narrow for a delta of nearly 5k mana, 2466 to 7308.
  11. Romance Augur

For the purpose of posterity it seems more valuable to fix instance instability than to not play our class to it's limits.

My personal feeling is that pets are in the flavor of our class and if a non-negligible portion of our potential comes from pets then that seems fitting. Our total damage is well divided across the many ways we deal damage. I would however be interested to further explore the attack values of our feralgia pets, as I take Sancus's suggestion with great weight.

As to the original post I think Sancus addressed it well. Feralgia is a part of our rotation, or should be, but it comes rather late in the event and if the event is short it may not happen every event. Especially if the group has a ranger in addition to the bst for GGotF after GBA.
  12. Alnitak Augur

While playing my beastlord I see my swarm pets as a dirt-cheap extra. I have my interest set on Leopard buff and cast Feralgia because it only costs 759 more mana (before focus discount).
    I consider it a bargain.
    Yes, Feralgia takes about 1.5 sec longer to cast, but the swarm pet does more than enough damage to compensate my lost melee dps during cast.
    Meanwhile my mages use their swarm pets as a primary dps boost. Those 2 should not be compared head-to-head.
  13. Moak The Most High

I main raid as a beastlord and also have a mage alt- I would point out that a raid beastlord is more likely to be grouped with a shaman than a mage is. That shaman werewolf aura if I am not mistaken also hits pets and swarm pets. that may be something to consider as well. I say this as my beast and my mage are on the same account- when I box either my shaman and my bard alts are the rest of the box group. I am happy no matter which pet class I am using.