Bard Mesmerize gap problem & suggestions

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Arclyte, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Arclyte Augur

Kelin's Lucid Lullaby - BRD/15
    1: Mesmerize (1/30) Classic - Leave as is

Crission's Pixie Strike - BRD/28
    1: Mesmerize (1/45)
    2: Decrease Magic Resist by 1 (L28) to 21 (L120) Classic - Leave as is

Song of Twilight - BRD/53
    1: Mesmerize (2/55)
    5: Decrease Magic Resist by 1 (L53) to 31 (L120 Kunark - Removed

Sionachie's Dreams - BRD/40
    1: Mesmerize (1/53)
    2: Decrease Magic Resist by 1 (L40) to 21 (L120) Luclin - Moved to Classic

Dreams of Ayonae - BRD/58
    1: Mesmerize (1/57)
    2: Memblur (30%) Luclin - Level changed to BRD/54 & moved to Kunark

NEW Song of Twilight - BRD/58?
    1: Mesmerize (1/59?)
    2: Memblur (35%) Velious?

Ancient Lullaby of Shadow - BRD/60
    1: Mesmerize (1/59)
    2: Memblur (40%) Luclin - Target level cap changed to 61

After PoP Bard mez songs seem to be better at keeping up with their level.

I haven't played bard, but I was talking to a few friends who have. Seems to me that being able to spot mez is a big part of a bard's group toolkit. For some reason there are large gaps where you're not able to mez anymore, losing a major role you used to have.

Do enchanters have these same problems? Is there a reason I'm missing as to why max lvl bards lose their mezzing capability? EQ is already pretty easy, so I'm always hesitant to suggest buffs, but this seems to be an oversight.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why would you want to remove spells at a level range only to change a spell at a different level range to replace it? If you want to make suggestions for fixes you should be suggesting changes to the level cap of the spells not trying to switch around what levels you get a spell at.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Corydon Augur

Looks like in classic bard can mez targets way higher than their own level.
    (Well, only theoretically because resists based on level difference come into play.)

Past classic bards seem to be supposed to mez only mobs close to their current level (slightly above which makes sense when supporting a group that kills red cons).

So why not give a single mez song to bard that scales with her? Buffs and debuffs scale with caster level as well so makes perfect sense to me to prune bard mez songs down to a single one.
  4. rangerous Elder

This is a complex way of saying that bard crowd control in the trilogy needs help.

Classic up mez from 45 (45 lol) to 51 to match charm.

and/or

Make charm more flexible by changing it from 60 mana and 60 seconds non overwritable to 30 mana and 30 seconds overwritable.

Up all kunark thru luclin current bard mezz cap levels by 2 levels.

Enchanters while fun are completely op as and do not need protection against these bard "buffs". Still would crush bard mez with their 72seconds vs 12s or w/e the absurd difference is.
  5. Digler Elder

Bards have always been a little gimped with their CC.

Can they do it? Yeah.

Are they as good as an enchanter? No. I believe that is by design.

Bards are a little gimped on everything they can do, cause they can do everything.

You want a change to bards that people would like/appreciate? Give them back their AE Kiting.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Arclyte Augur

AE kiting was pretty disruptive from what I remember. Causing trains, and sometimes crashing the server if 150 mobs all died at once.

Enchanters should be better than Bards for CC, but I don't see any good reason why there should be gigantic holes in a bard's mez range. Many classes' spells got consolidated for QOL reasons and I think giving back bards mez in those gaps would be the same QOL change they need.
  7. Digler Elder

I'm not really sure those issues exist now Arclyte.

I'm pretty sure 150 mobs are dying at once numerous times a day in AOE groups.

As for the trains... those can be found in any zone, regardless of what bards are able to do.
  8. Zaphod New Member

They correct the gap with later expansions, and bards are consistently able to mez targets three levels higher, but the level 60 period is awkward and should be fixed.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

There is a lot of room for tuning spells/discs/abilities in the pre 85 game though some of the most glaring "holes" do exist in the first 60 levels.

But that's also part & parcel of the nostalgia trip & I think it is wise to be cautious about making too many changes to the game unless everyone is on board with making "classic EQ" feel a lot more like "Modern EQ" because there are a whole lot of folks who would hate that a lot.

Also there is reason to be careful about further exacerbating the power-creep that already exists.
  10. Court Elder

Maybe play the class first before you start suggesting fixes for it?
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  11. Arclyte Augur

Is the suggestion to keep a bard's ability to mez a bad one? Or are you just being a dumb troll?

I was thinking of playing a bard and spoke with multiple raiding bards who I've played with. They all said the same thing: Early EQ bards arbitrarily lose their mez. Do Druids lose DoT spells? Do Monks lose FD?
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Suggesting improvements to bards mez abilities wouldn't be bad if it wasn't also suggesting removing songs, changing songs levels, changing the expansion of a song or adding in a new one. What it seems you are trying to do is make sure they can mez at all levels and all that would be needed is to adjust the level on some spells.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Arclyte Augur

Well whatever works. It looks like they saw their mistake in Luclin and added a lvl 40 song to cover the big gap 45+, so I figured it would make more sense to put it in classic.
  14. rangerous Elder

This issue here is actually that bards CANNOT do mez at all during certain levels of classic kunark and velious. They cant even mez half the basic "a froglok whatever knight" at hamlord in LGUK or cover any of the camps in the hole. I believe they also cant mez half or all the basic mobs down in bottom of Chardok at camps like o/u and kennels etc. These are just simple camps along the standard leveling path.
  15. Court Elder

I’ve played a bard on every TLP server and on live. Every class has specific issues you have to find work arounds for.
    Skuz likes this.