Back after a few months away...massive lag now

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Velisaris_MS, May 13, 2018.

1. Velisaris_MS Augur

I haven't played in about 8 months or so. During that time, the machine I play EQ on had a hard drive crash. The new drive has the same OS as before, Win 7, only this one is a clean install (no proprietary crap from Dell). Same equipment, same drivers (all current), same internet connection. I reinstalled the game yesterday.

Before my break, I had no issues with lag/latency. The in-game connection meter very rarely went above 100ms for the ping...was usually in the 70-90 range.

Now, when I log in, the ping is around 100ms until I start to move. Then it jumps up to around 800ms, and then as much as 4000ms a few seconds later. If I try to move around, it skips back to a previous location every few seconds. The game is essentially unplayable like this.

My primary server is Drinal, but I've tried other servers (including Brekt, which is basically empty). It's the same on all servers.

I've done mutliple speed tests...they all come back with a ping around 30ms. I don't think it's my connection.

I was curious if something has changed during the last few months, or if there's a bug, or something the devs know about. Barring that, does anyone have any suggestions of something to try? Like I said, the game is unplayable as is.
  2. Defjam1 Journeyman

Drinal runs fine so , your correct it's not the server. Is it possible you have (I believe it's) Journaling or something like that ( I really need to open eq to remember but wanted to reply sooner) enabled? On your client, I seem to remember that causing major lag for people in the past.
  3. Sarkaukar Augur

New hard drive, reinstalling OS means all of your previous system settings have been reset back to default.

Control Panel, Power Options, set to High Performance. Prevents CPU throttling and core parking.

Also, if Nvidia GPU, change Power Management mode from adaptive to Prefer Max Performance. Ensures system is using Nvidia for the game.

As for Journal that was mentioned, Alt J, disable Journal. Enabled Journal issues are usually only seen when you can see NPC emotes/etc.
  4. Velisaris_MS Augur

Thanks for the replies.

Well, I discovered the problem is with the wireless, either on my system or the modem. I went old school and plugged in a cable and the issue disappeared. The ping is perfectly normal in game with the cable.

I'll give the other suggestions a try to see if that changes anything with the wireless.
    Yinla likes this.