Are bot programs legal??

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Dethabis, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Dethabis New Member

If not how do I report 1 and will anything be done about it?
  2. Iila Augur

Autofire style key repeaters and key broadcasters (like [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]) are fine. AFK killing with mercs is also fine.

Actual automation and scripting are not allowed. You can report bot groups with a petition, be sure to include information like the names of all the characters and why you think they're botting. Details of any actions taken against cheaters is between DBG and those players, so you won't get any followup besides a thanks for the report.

The punishment ranges from a suspension and a full account ban.
  3. Ratbo Peep Augur

You can also detail your findings here.
    So other people on your server can investigate and petition them too.
    -R
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Taeluuin Entariel Elder

Realistically? No, nothing gets done about it. Pretty much ever. Because most of the people botting are running multiple accounts, and EverQuest exists to make money.

At one point I knew of an entire top end raid guild that required the use of a certain program to even be in their guild.
  5. Derd Augur

Well, yes they do as I just reported a guild member Thursday night and he was banned Friday morning. Not for long enough in my opinion but they do respond and quite quickly at least to my petition.
  6. Ziggy Augur

There is also this thread on the eq2 forums

“After over a decade of multi-boxing and using [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software], I was finally given a suspension recently for multi-boxing. For those of you that don't know what [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is, it's a keyclone/broadcast software that makes multi-boxing much more convenient. [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] software does not facilitate automation and is allowed to be use on numerous MMO games.

I am not sure if this is a shift in policy with Daybreak's aquisition of SOE, or if I've fallen victim to a selective enforcement. In either case, I just don't feel safe multi-boxing anymore playing any of Daybreak's game. Anyway, here is the e-mail I've received from CS.

Discussion Thread
    Response Via Email (SOE Customer Service)
    Hello again,

I realize you're unhappy about the action that has been taken, however we are confident in our findings in this case and the suspension will remain in place for the intended duration. If you wish to multi-box, you will need to manually input commands into each client one by one without the help of any 3rd party software.

Regards,
    Lead GM
    Daybreak Game Company, LLC

The larger, bold text in red is what I found interesting and was changed by me (formatting only).

This post seems to contradict your opinion that [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is ok. Between that thread and Derd's cpmment about someone in his guild getting suspended for using third party software, I have hope that DBG will take a harder line against users of 3rd party software that SOE ever did. I know that I will be /reporting people I suspect of this on the new server whenever I see it.

[Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is far from a network keystroke broadcaster these days, you can use it to create menu's and such on your screen -- there is a video where the boxed enchanters extended target screen is on the the main character's (SK) screen and by right-clicking on that extended target screen the enchanter will target the mob and mezz it. In addition, you can use it to move melee characters to attack mobs, etc.

I am glad to confirmation from a lead GM just what is allowed.
    Quatr and Fallfyres like this.
  7. Brunlin Augur

I use Win EQ 2 for multiboxing, it is also by Lavish. I use it for the ease of logging in with multiple accounts and hotkeying the cycle through boxes, so I dont have to alt and tab. Its also free.

Multiboxing to me is not botting. If you are in control at your keyboard...controlling everything than you are not botting. Botting is usually someone that has a script which is controlling the toons and is usually illegal in any game and mostly punished by a banned. If its enforced is a different story.

Im not sure of the stance that Daybreak has on all of this, but it safe to assume that with all the boxers in game that are paying subs...that its probably ok to multibox. Just my 2 cents
  8. Ziggy Augur

The difference is that Smedley himself gave the ok on wineq2 and eqplaynice. [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is another matter entirely. First it requires Inner Space which is configurable to things that are definetly not ok. THe other thing is [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] itself, it is no longer what it once was -- I guess the question becomes does playing 1 character but controlling the rest of the group/raid constitute playing all of them, even if you never go to their respective screens.
  9. Stumphobbler Elder

Do you know where this was stated?

Can a Daybreak Games CSR confirm this at all ?
  10. Ziggy Augur

I took this from the developers web page ..

Both Blizzard and Sony Online Entertainment have either explicitly or implicitly allowed software that I provide: WinEQ 2 and EQPlayNice have been staples of EverQuest multiboxing for several years, and Woody from GUComics got an answer long ago, directly from John Smedley, saying that they would not ban for using EQPlayNice;

Since he provides this software for free, there is really no incentive for him to lie about it. Unfortunately, the link is broken, I did look for about an hour for the post on the GUComics archive with no success, but it is probably from the Guild summit in 2004 to which Smedley invited Woody -- that summit was to address many things, but mostly the issues with GoD.

For some reason it seems somewhat difficult to find a post that happened 11 years ago.
  11. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

The original posts on the forums containing this information are long gone, on the previous incarnation of the forums. I have been very vocal in the support and use of WinEQ2 (which has EQPlayNice built in) for years, here on the forums, and ingame. I have NEVER gotten any kind of approach or warning, let alone a suspension or a ban, for doing so. Neither allows you to manipulate the game in any fashion that gives you an edge over other players, or use hacks, or cheat in any kind of way. the programs simply facilitate running boxes more resource efficient and easier to move between accounts that are logged in. No automation, no botting, you still have to manually click each button and command.

If you have an old system, and are having trouble running more than one client at a time due to lack of resources, you should give it a try. Computers made in the last seven or so years should have no issues running multiple clients without using WinEQ2. My current PC can run three, and stream music, without a hiccup. I haven't tried four, but I am willing to bet that I could run six (six cores FTW).
  12. Angahran Augur

It has been stated in the past by Devs that [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is acceptable since it does nothing without you being physically present at the keyboard.
  13. Stumphobbler Elder

oh nice, will have to try it on my old clunker. Thanks for the info guys!
  14. Nniki Augur

This might be it: http://forums.gucomics.com/showthread.php?2401-EQ-Playnice-or-whatever
  15. Goth Augur

make a video.. post it maybe they get banned.

or like others have said give more information for others to find.

but the program is illegal but they do nothing to stop it. have to find people in action using it in its extreme form.
  16. Endless Augur

Reading through the thread on EQ2, it came down to a GM watching his characters (assumed) run around and him not replying to tells from the GM. I'd bet he was actually botting and not just using [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]. Even with a single monitor and clicking between characters, you'd notice a tell or a GM standing around you (assumed again). That guy didn't really go into that, but he did mention it was because he didn't respond to tells.

A lot, if not most of the things [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] does, I use to do through hardware. It's a whole lot more expensive and complex (cluttered), but I was boxing well before [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]. Vetra multicasters, X-keys, I was controlling 16 characters with one key press if I wanted. All with hardware.

But yeah, it gets expensive. Not just buying all the hardware, but electricity wasn't cheap in Hawaii lol.
  17. Barton The Mischievous

So it came out he did not respond to tells from a GM that was investigating? I'm sure he just missed the tells /sarcasm
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yikes.. I box sometimes and if the tell didnt go to my tank I would miss it. I used to miss GMs answering petitions of mine all the time.

Also tried [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] once but didn't like it...it was fine for basic encounters but I did much better doing things manually on tougher encounters.. just guess I am very used to boxing manually the old fashioned way.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I have run 8 toons on one computer with no lag issues. If boxing I generally use multiple computers though. A friend runs six toons one computer per toon, one keyboard/mouse per computer.
  20. Iila Augur