Aradune zoning and "cannot reach the server" issues

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by sihpa, Jun 6, 2020.

1. sihpa Augur

Last night my friend in another state kept disconnecting every time she would zone. It would hard lock and would need to be terminated in the task manager after waiting about 10 minutes to see if her toon would push through. She was then able to log back in and get all the way to the character selection screen and select her character but as soon as she tried to "enter world" it would give an error that the "server could not be reached".

Her PC is windows 10 fully updated (win updates and gpu other hardware updated etc)

A couple things we tried were:
    1) Tried logging in another character on Aradune that she'd made the day before and that one also got the "cannot reach the server" error.
    2) Could log onto another server, make a new character and enter the world with no problems.
    3) Could log into Aradune, create a NEW character and enter the world with no problems.
    4) I was able to log her character into the game from my own machine (different state and ISP w/ win7) with no problems.
    5) Uninstalling and reinstalling EQ allowed her to log in the primary character again and play until she zoned and then the problem repeated itself. I.e. super long zone time that never times out (we waited around 20 or 30 minutes the last time and it showed her character as still online but zoning in the grouping window)

Additional info and TS
    6) Verifying game files. Everything seemed fine there and nothing was downloaded. She still couldn't log her character into the world but could reach the character selection screen.
    7) We've added exceptions in her firewall and windows defender for eqgame.exe.
    8) She tried running in windows 7 compatibility mode.
    9) She's using centurylink as an ISP - I don't know if there is some added security from them similar to reported from comcast advanced security features that others have reported caused them problems so if anyone has insight into where to look there it would be appreciated.
    10) At one point she was reporting having graphical errors i.e. when looking at her characters at the character selection screen they didn't look like the characters she had created. Their facial features and colors had changed. I've no idea what to think of this one.

Anywho I'm posting this here instead of the TS sub so that hopefully someone familiar with Aradune specific zoning issues can point us in the right direction to resolving this and maybe the thread can help any others with similar issues.

Thank you!
  2. Knard The Strategic Tactician

Selos has been discovered to cause 100% disconnect during peak hours, but it will simply kick you to server select, not freeze.
    sihpa likes this.
  3. sihpa Augur

The only buffs shes had while zoning were her own level 1 mage hp/ac buff and my dr00d level 1 spirit of wood hp buff. She had sow cast on her by a random passerby at one point an hour earlier but it had faded.
  4. Knard The Strategic Tactician

Could be SoW triggered too. Hmm.
  5. Qbert Gallifreyan

You probably shouldn't advertise that you are account sharing as it is against the rules.
  6. Arrk Augur

DPG you are on notice

You knew this was coming. You saw the effects Mangler was having.

Ever since your database migration "fix" in February, the most populated servers have been straight garbage...
    Wulfhere likes this.
  7. sihpa Augur

Genuinely thank you for the heads up.

As far as I see it that is fine and I accept that if providing potentially useful TSing information is against their rules then their rules aren't very well thought out as well as the fact that if this isn't resolved the both of us are moving on regardless so they can shoot themselves in both feet.

Mind you thats not meant as a threat or insult per say but just pointing out the contradictory nature and a potential conclusion of the situation they themselves have created.
  8. Mezrah Augur

I have just tested this on my level 5 bard, I had no problems zoning with selos active. Yes zoning is slow, but it is roughly the same speed as when I zone other characters during peak(ish) hours.
    sihpa likes this.
  9. sihpa Augur

Okay just noticed a new phenomena that im uncertain is related but adding it just in case someone else has experienced this. Every time she has gotten stuck zoning the two of us were grouped with my toon as the leader and master looter or whatever it's called. I'd assigned her as the main assist so she could more easily get used to the targeting and see it clearer. Just now she'd invited my character but then /g chat stopped working for her after zoning.

I'm wondering if everyone disconnecting or having prolonged zone times (10+ minutes) have been grouped and if so were they the leader or what other circumstances were involved?

For now I am working under the assumption that the True Box code is doing something wonky and over detecting and timing out some clients. This hasn't happened on other servers just Aradune.
  10. Knard The Strategic Tactician

It's dependent on runspeed. Level 5 selos is nothing, it's slower than SoW.