Anyone interested in self enforced progression?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by liveitup1216, Dec 5, 2012.

1. liveitup1216 Augur

Anybody interested in doing self enforced progression on a regular blue server for funsies? It'll be a while yet before they make a new progression server obviously, wondering if there's any interest for something like this to get rolling with people.

As of now I'm playing with a handful (3-4 people) on Cazic-Thule doing this, so far in the early-mid 20 levels, and stopping at 50 to do what we feel like until we move on to Kunark.
  2. Razhah New Member

This, in my opinion, is what people asking for a "classic" or "expansion locked" server should do. Get everyone interested in that type of server then find some poor low population blue server and set up a guild with strict rules on content/level/equipment usage etc... and see how it goes. If the idea is as popular as some seem to think, they should have a thriving, healthy guild. The heroes journey quests and hotzone idea will keep most of the classic zones clear and free for that guild to enjoy to their hearts content.

I would consider something like this before I would consider doing another progression server. After my experiences on Fippy, I would never do another one and I am enjoying Fippy. However, I was praying for instanced content to be released because of the high end log-jam in early raid content. Not much fun competing with poop-sockers and SK bot armies.
  3. doktartp Augur

People dont want self imposed anything, they want SoE to force others to live like them.

Best of luck though, there isnt much competition for many older mobs, excluding vex thal and other clickies.
    Hawklight Yandli and Xnao like this.
  4. Treefall Journeyman

Last time I checked no one forces you to join any particular server whether it be RP, PVP, progression, or regular blue; I doubt a classic server would be any different, unless you care to explain forcing people to play a certain way?

Also, if you cannot see the difference in "total experience" for a locked server vs self imposed rule-set (for example the economy/trading) then you clearly are bias.

A classic server would do nothing but benefit the community. It's like there's a class of EQ players that think classic servers will somehow destroy their own enjoyment of the game, i.e. "force" them to play on classic servers. That's not the case, at all.

Good idea OP though, it's about the only option out there at the moment. I would join you but I'm playing another game. ;) ;)
  5. Machail Journeyman

This has worked in the past for some guilds. Keep us apprised on how you do. If Fippy's population woes don't clear up I may end up going this route just to see post-GoD content for the first time.
  6. liveitup1216 Augur

My interest is out of necessity, I didn't have time to try and enjoy fippy and the /griefing sucks but it's better than self enforced prog. The point of a locked server is having the community feel while in old world content. Both the good and the bad I'd still take it. I only enjoy eq from PoP and earlier. Lots of others clearly do as well, if not then you don't have to play on it.

Having a permanently locked server means the griefers and elite will eventually get bored and loosen the strangle hold on top content, and allows plenty of casuals to get their fill while still feeling relevant and not just some handful of niche players.
  7. liveitup1216 Augur

And before someone mentions that top content will always remain in control of a few, yes but atleast it would perpetually refresh every now and then giving people more opportunities to have the experience as the elites drop off and are replaced.
  8. Swampfeet New Member

I would get down on this for sure, a bunch of people starting nude using voice chat and guild chat in classic.

If you ever decide to move forward with this let me know how to get ahold of you.
  9. Soriano Augur

There are over a dozen servers...no one would be forced to roll a character there...
  10. liveitup1216 Augur

There's a few of us on cazic (few meaning 3-5) would love to let more people on board. My char is valdyn
  11. Treefall Journeyman

Good luck live it up.

Just make sure you've...exhausted...all other options. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
  12. Xnao Augur

People seem to misinterpret your comment. Yes no one is forcing them to do it but the classic crowd must force everyone else on that server to play how they want. Facism.
  13. Treefall Journeyman

I like you. A lot. Some day I would like to buy you chocolates and take you out for a romantic meal.
  14. Malachi Augur

Huh? The classic crowd asks for its own server of "classic" content to experience in a relevant setting where everyone who joins said server would hopefully be under the impression they are going to experience in large part "classic" content.
    Or did I miss something and there's a call by this crowd to have the "normal" blue servers limited to classic?

Anyway, to the OP, I tried this a couple times on a certain low population server, but the game mechanics are just so different than what they used to be. It definitely becomes a chore at times. A special ruleset server gets way more of a following than what I could muster up. And the key to this kind of approach on a normal server, is a LARGE following.
  15. Cambria New Member

On Vulak, currently Avengers of keraphrym is a self-imposed progression guild. We are leveled at 65 and have about 20-30 raid toons. We are interested in seeing the content at the appropriate level, but due to low numbers on raids we have had to move up in levels before finishing Luclin. VT then PoP raids are next in line.
    PST to Tyreldor, Atraxi or Dwendrox in game.
  16. Twoshade Lorekeeper

Are there any guilds on Flippy that are currently looking for members?? Also, liveitup, I'm currently interested in joining your group, would be two boxing if thats ok, could always join one or even use one in two groups if the guild/clan gets that big. Having the option to use mercs means that we can still beable to play even if people are sleeping/offline (insert reason)... I would be thinking about making a Enc/Cler combo as what I had on flippy.
  17. trixbro New Member

Hello all,
    I play in a self enforced progression guild on trak server called immortal evolution. Its a lot of fun to relive the older raids. We are currently in elemental planes, capped at 65, and progressing steadily. The guild is relaxed family style, which I really enjoy. There is no pressure and everyone is just out to have fun. We usually have about 30 people on raids and just downed coirniav (i know i probably spelled that wrong). There is also no competition for raid targets to speak of on our server. If anyone is interested, we would love to welcome more people to the family. We enjoy helping with leveling and gear if that is a concern. Feel free to look us up online or speak to anyone in guild on the server.

Slodeath
  18. Scrownge New Member

This is precisely what I am looking for. I have been contemplating returning to EQ for the first time since 2006, and would love to do this. Who could I look for on Cazic to join this progression group? A little catching up is necessary, but I dont think I will have a problem with that.
  19. Smak Augur

Four Riders of the Storm is my guild on cazic, its evil religion only and most players use kunark (cabilis and overthere outpost) as a base of operations. We are pre luclin right now, with alot of self enforced restrictions, check the guild recruit page if you are interested.

For now you could say we are not active yet, mostly waiting for more to tag into the guild before devoting alot of time to it.

I am level 21 there and we have another around 20 and another around 26, a few more interested as well.
  20. Scrownge New Member

Cool Smak, I will look for you. Haven't had any luck finding Valdyn. I am currently level 36 just soloing through the hot zones.