Any toon, Any Server

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mikestab, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Mikestab Elder

Could we flip the login stages? Have all of your toons in the char select list and then show the server list. Then you can login with any of your toons to any server and not be restricted to 1. Of course server types should be compartmentalized so PVP can't log into PVE or special rule sets stay separated. This way we can find groups easier or possibly raid on 1 and group on another. Open raiding forces would have access to more players as well.
    Braveheart likes this.
  2. Ishtass Augur

Would be nice, but there's no way they could change their model now.

1) Names would have to become unique serverwide, and I know there are names that are taken on every server (even when the server pool was larger). I definitely wouldn't want to be Ishtassxxxxxxxxxxxx (luckily my name is not popular, but you get the idea).

2) They would lose money on server transfers (and spend money making this new feature).

3) There's FV, PVP, and Progression servers in the mix, and we've had others with special rules before, that would have to be exempt, and that would be weird with this login logic.
  3. Katonis New Member

As Ishtass stated names and characters are done per server and changing to game wide would cause all kinds of problems. It would be nice if you could see all of your characters across the servers in one screen but I would not hold my breath for it.

Kat
  4. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

They've done "impossible" things before.

I think this is a decent idea, but wouldn't it be better just to consolidate (merge) the servers?
  5. Braveheart Augur

Braveheart on my original server, Braveheart_Bertox when I goto another server.
    Leerah and Mikestab like this.
  6. Straahdx Augur

Another idea:

Just the player window opens and shows all characters you have on the account with a flag next to each one listing their server. You would still have the option to create a new character, and when you do, then you would go to server select, pick which one you want to play on, then that char would be added to your selectable chars at login. You would still keep the X amount of chars per server, your character select window could just be a lot longer.

Basically the same thing we have now, it would just cut out loading the server select window for chars you already have, and slightly reduce load times.

Just a thought. Personally, I'm fine with how things are currently.
  7. Tegila Augur

it would make it a pain to be i na guild also since guilds would have to be gamewide..and then what server would hosue teh halls? other housing etc would be odd as well, character creation, etc
  8. Tegila Augur

i do wish we could directly choose a toon from our server list instead of server to char select so you pick such and such a toon it would automaticly tae you to that server and toon etc. used to be able to do this with the old stationlauncher i believe
  9. Nubben New Member

I'm all for this as long as I show up as Nubben_Mithaniel_Marr (although my character is the oldest Nubben anyway so I wouldn't have an X appended.)
  10. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The OP's idea I can't get behind at all. There is no good reason for people to make a toon and gear it up on Server A, then go do stuff on Server B. It is just crazy.

Now as other's have said, it would be nice to be able to be able to at least log straight into a character from login like some other games are capable of; but the amount of work to make it possible is not reasonable. This doesn't require changing any of the login sequence but what information the game has access to at the time it is launched. Presently, the game doesn't know what characters you have until you are logged onto a server (ie at the character select menu). While I am quite sure that it is doable for them to make it so that we can log straight into game from the launcher; I do not expect this to be an option in EQ for a few years (more likely several years, if ever).

Many of the 'Impossible' things they have done before were the result of 10 (or more) years of working at the problem. At most they have been looking into the issue of the of how we log in for maybe 5 years (and even then they haven't even considered anything as outlandish as the OP's suggestion; all they have been working on doing is make EQ able to log into character straight from a launcher like EQ2 (and maybe some of the other games) was (were) capable of before the Launchpad update.

To me it sounds like the OP just wants to raid with bleeding edge guilds on one server then group, play, and lord gear over his backwater server that doesn't have a bleeding edge guild. So merging all the servers (which would be horrible for everyone concerned) would not work well. I say this because none of his problems would actually be solved by the change he suggests.
    It most likely would be considerably harder for me to find a group on any other server than it would on the one I have played for the last 11-12 (or more for some people) years because no one knows who I am. I know of almost no true Open raid group that is actually lacking for players.
    I am fairly sure that Public on Tunare regularly can easily front a full raid; at most they might have issues with people not all being flagged for the content when that is required, but finding people is not a problem for them. I would think that any similar Open raid group similarly has no trouble filling a raid. The only thing I can see this as being good for is for people who want to do old or ancient content that they can't quite solo and have trouble finding people who want to do the 'raids' and have the attention span for them.
  11. Recnarp Augur

They could do it by adding a little asterisk next to people's name so others know you're from a different server. The largest problem would be reworking guilds, but its probably way more complicated and far beyond what resources and capabilities the rev team had.
  12. Gringot Journeyman

Why would they have to rework guilds. It should be the same. You can only be in 1 guild if you are in a guild on Tunare, you shouldn't not be able to be in another guild on any other server. This is not without logistical issues but I'm not against it.
  13. Leerah Augur

Being guildless would be the penalty for hanging out on another server. You would have to run places.
  14. Pirlo Augur

This.
    Nennius likes this.