Any new progression server coming?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Warlorf, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Machen New Member

I'd personally love to see this, but only if they do it right.
  2. Serakan.twistdlegion New Member

i got like 13 unsub accounts, 2 year krono supply for them, and no progression server worth subbing for. w...t...f
  3. Serakan Lorekeeper

i quit because twisted legion broke up. 13 accts. no server. let's stay on issue.
  4. Machen New Member

Why does Sony want to give you a new server? They already have your money... Your two year krono supply doesn't exactly give them much incentive.
  5. Serakan Lorekeeper

what? your acumen failed to notice the subtle hints of sarcasm? serakan posted. alert the forum mods. send pms to the devs. code red. black hawk down. swordfish. bravo echo tango. 911. 21 jump street. wtf i gotta say to make you all understand? serakan posted. (whip descends) /crack
  6. Draego Augur

My 2cp on this
    /rant on
    NO NEW SERVERS, NO MORE SERVER MERGES
    /rant off
    SOE doesn't need them since they can hardly support the ones they have now.
    We don't want them forcing anymore server merges on anyone.
  7. liveitup1216 Augur

This wouldn't happen if they stopped letting the progression servers go past that infamous PoPish era. That's when the progression servers die off. They're super popular until they get past that EQ golden era then everyone gets bored and leaves it a ghost town like the rest of the servers.
  8. Machen New Member

Except that that didn't happen. Population was strong on Fippy until Prophecy of Ro, a good year and a half past PoP.
  9. liveitup1216 Augur

10. Tharrg Augur

If they really want a progression server.. .then do not let players unlock anything..... let the expansions come in the same time frame that they did originally. DO not give awards or fame to those who finish things first. This would create a nostalgia server where players can have fun and an easy pace... That is a real progression server... not this race to the finish crap...
    bloodbeard and liveitup1216 like this.
  11. Machen New Member

# of active raid guilds doing at least some current content raids during each expansion:

Luclin - 6
    PoP - 9
    OOW - 5
    DoN - 8
    DoDH - 8
    PoR - 3

There may have been a slight dip in #'s between Luclin and DoDH, but nothing drastic until Prophecy of Ro. All these guilds had sufficient rosters to field active raid forces and take stuff down.

Take a look at bkfippy.com and fippykills.com for the data.

You can bury your head in the sand all you want and pretend that just because you don't like anything past PoP, no one must want to play that content. But it just isn't true. There were a lot that quit during Gates/OoW, but a lot of new people came to the server during those expansions too, and the overall server population stayed fairly steady.
  12. Phoebes Journeyman

I've been a member of one of the oldest and most rabid MMO player communities since vanilla EQ1 (was Fires of Heaven, now rerolled org).

I can tell you the demand for a Progression server has never been nearly as high as it is now. People are well and truly sick of the WoW based MMO system. This year TESO is dead before it even launches. Wildstar is a straight WoW clone.

However EQ is still alive and well in peoples hearts. EQ is the only MMO to have it's own sub forum with significant ongoing interest. The servers especially are prospering massively more than ever with thousands playing on them concurrently and people wanting the classic experience.

If you (SoE) were to put out another progression server I suspect you would be surprised how big the take up would be for it.
    Gdawg311 likes this.
  13. Serakan Lorekeeper

Yes, I find the 1k server population of p99 every night amusing, and those servers have their own history of corruption and scandal.

I see absolutely no demand for progression out there.

SOE wants us all to pretend EQNext is going to be EQ1 the way we pretended with Vanguard, but the nostalgists and purists have rejected every EQ-clone since WoW and returned to EQ1. EQ has many unique feelings of accomplishment and community that other games apparently don't recapture for many of its players. I would argue that EQ was a stroke of genius and luck (the right people meeting at the right time), and you cannot recreate it. As messy and scandelous as progression launch was, with shaman alchemy plat duping and later SK harm touch exploitation on raids, it was still jam packed with players. In lieu of the code SOE has developed and the lessons they have learned from previous progression servers, it stands to reason their next set of progression servers will provide an even more enjoyable experience than last time. They can fix all the 3 major offenses from the last servers now: with warp detection now being added to prevent warping on the new servers, with SK harm touch not gimping 2 eras of raid content, and with the shaman alchemy plat dupe being fixed.

If they launched Eqnext and progression on same day, I'd be on progression with a thousand other merry fools toggling between server chat and server select. I'm sure they realize any new prog launch in the future requires 2 launches, because the 1st server will always dramatically fill over capacity, so they probably have to account for enough hardware to launch 2 more servers on the next cycle of progression launches. Why? Because there is absolutely no demand for progression out there. /beats the dead horsey
  14. escapegoat New Member

its not like the hardware costs that much. i.e. the term "garage box" for servers...
  15. Tharrg Augur

If only they would do a real progression server. One that has no way to unlock an expansion. I do not like race to finish crap that all progression servers have done. The mentality that it breeds is aggrivating. I tried the progression server this last time when it first opened. And I would have stayed but the race to finish became way insane. With too much competition to be the first to do this and that. I will play on a Progression sever that has no unlocks. One that sees new expansions in the time frame that they actually came out.
  16. Elskidor Augur

Just stop at Luclin or PoP. These progression servers that start strong are amazingly popular and draw in a ton of return players and even some brand new players. The only time they begin to decline is when they open the same expansions that caused people to leave in the first place. Keep one like Fippy for those who really want to go all the way into the current day game, which IMO is not very fun, and keep the other one locked in the past forever. Also, for the one that is locked in the past, make it to where the expansions of Kunark and Velious and so on take a very long time to get to....maybe a year, but closer to how they were when they originally were released.
  17. Elskidor Augur

EverquestNext is still a good 2 years a way. Something like this should be put into effect as a time filler for those who plan on trying EQNext though. Don't wait too long to launch something too close to the next big EQ MMO.
  18. Deadbones Journeyman

Yeah like many who played the original eq I plan to play EQNext but a progression server here would have been a really nice time filler. Especially since I'll soon have access to EQ1 and other games from my EQ2 gold subscription with the coming change in April.
  19. Machen New Member

There is something like this to keep us busy for the next two years already. Fippy and Vulak.
  20. shaagul Journeyman

It would be nice it someone from soe would just say hell no we arent doing another tlp server or yes we plan on a new one in one year and three months. Its typical cappy soe customer care. Just give ur community an answer. Yes or no. What r the odds anyone from soe even reads these!!!