Any new progression server coming?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Warlorf, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Oreilly123 New Member

I am not sure they "failed horribly". When the TLP servers came out thousands and thousands of people came to play on them. Many old school people came back to Everquest and played for nearly a year before it started slowing down.

Thousands of new pay accounts for 12 months or so? Yeah I think they could afford to do it a few more times. They do not need to convert every progression player into long time subscribers.
  2. idej Augur

I think the servers were a success. There was originally only supposed to be one but it was full and they opened the second server. I'd like to see a reset because I like the first 5 expansions.
  3. Machen New Member

Sure, I'm sure no one would mind you wiping out the characters they've invested 2+ years in just so we can reset the servers and start over.

Or maybe you think we'd be ok with a transfer to live before the wipe. I'm sure my level 75 toon with top PoR/TSS gear will be great fun to play on live. Let's do that.
  4. Malachi Augur

Better gear than a couple of my toons on standard rule set at the same level. They are Alts though :p

Seriously though, I'm sure idej didn't think about it thru to much. I understand his position to an extent. Posters like that just want an environment that fits their playstyle. But their ideas on the best way to do that are terrible.
    The only appropriate course of action would to open up a fresh set of servers. But that threatens to Alieanate what's left of the current tlp servers and offers a bigger headache to development to deal with all the early problems tlps bring (which I'm sure they do t have sensible solutions for at the moment)
    In short, if you are hoping for another tlp before the initial eqnext release phase has concluded, your gonna be a sad panda. (My humble estimation)
  5. Toquillaw Augur

Merge with Fippy and restart Vulak. It's not hard to follow.
  6. Machen New Member

I'm fine with that, but that's not he was suggesting.
  7. Pigskin Journeyman

Great idea

You are very smart
  8. Kokkusho Journeyman

Ok, they failed, they didn't fail, honestly I don't care. Someone just please answer the original question, are there any announcements of a new server coming?
  9. fastboy21 Augur

no new announcements. i would agree with others' assessment that we won't see any special love for EQ (including special rule sets, like progression servers) for a while with SOE deploying all available resources towards EQN (first) live projects for EQ/EQII (second).

not that it matters what i think, but i believe the progession servers were a success. i reactivated two accounts on both rounds of servers (sleeper and vulak, for me) and loved the gameplay. to me, it seemed like i met many players who were in the exact same position as me...but without knowing the hard data (I assume SOE tracks it) its all perception. I definitely had fun on them, and would sign back up today if another launched. I'd also still be playing if Vulak merged to Fippy.
  10. Nolrog Augur

That's completely false. Both EQ and EQ2 have their own dedicated teams, each working on their own expansions.
  11. Machen New Member

They may have their own separate teams, but we all know they pull people from team to team depending on the priorities. And the priority isn't EQ at the moment.
  12. Toquillaw Augur

Yeah, I think the EQ team is pretty much decided by "needed developers - 2". It limps along generating cash for EQN development, with barely enough to keep normal development going. There is none left for special needs like anything to do with progression.

Clearly, the writing is on the wall when they won't even merge servers anymore. Probably a sign to come for regular servers as well, just to let them die out rather than spend any dev and support time on merging. It's just cheaper.
  13. fastboy21 Augur

Uhm...yes, but not exactly. The EQN team was created mostly from the talent on existing projects, like EQ and EQ2 and Vanguard. Yes, they are dedicated to their specific project for the most part now but the company as a whole has goals.

The most important project right now is....

Fill in the blank with common sense.
  14. Slasher Augur

No they don't. They will move an employees around, but its not like you make it sound. You won't work on EQ1 one day and EQN the next day and EQ1 the day after. If you're working on EQ1 you're working only on EQ1 period unless they tell you otherwise you wont switch between games without it being a long term situation.
  15. Slasher Augur

Screw progression. Leave it at classic EQ before POP.
  16. Malachi Augur

I just don't buy the whole dedicated team on eq1 stuff. I'm sure there is a core team whose primarily working on "current content" (lol?) and upcoming content for eq1. But I see no reason why a few people would be pulled for a couple of months here and there to work on their biggest project they've had going since FOREVER. Eqnext is there baby and every employee that has extensive experience in the developments of eq and eq2 is a prime candidate for adding to the development of this new game.
    Honestly, what reason can we possibly derive from not merging an empty server other than apathy and/or neglect. Are they afraid their busy dedicated team would have to deal with the twelve people on vulak that might complain about their characters moved to a more populated server?
  17. Syrian New Member

I just dont understand why they don't just constantly have progression servers at different stages of progression. Like merge them both, start a new one, and when the current one finishes start another one. There will always be a market for those that want to stick to original content, but there are also many people who want to experience the content beyond PoP that they never had the chance to experience before. If your going to have 2 servers be progression it makes no sense to have them at the same point, because it gives no choice to players joining later as to where they want to play progression wise. Why not give them the option to do classic, or maybe do God/OoW and beyond. Plenty of people with hundreds of hours invested in a toon will continue on a server to experience content they've never seen instead of starting from scratch every 6 months.
  18. fastboy21 Augur

The obvious answer: the cost.
  19. Wesker1213 New Member

I would have to disagree. Right now they have two progression timelocked servers. What Syrian is suggesting is merging them (2>1) and creating another giving us a second. So there is still two timelocked servers, so no cost increase other than the time it takes to move the characters which I imagine is pretty minimal.
    Toquillaw likes this.
  20. Toquillaw Augur

Yeah, there is minimal extra cost for a restart of a server which already exists. Right now they have the worst case, a server running which should be populated with gold accounts but instead is absurdly lightly populated. Merge and restart will bring new people to it, and Fippy will still be fine especially if the rule can be counted on that once they complete progression and are up with live they merge with a live server and restart as well. Some people will always restart, some will stay with their server "til the end", others will mix it up and play on both (most likely that is what I would do).