Antonius Bayle Server: Free Transfers to Vox Available

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fortunbas, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Fortunbas Lorekeeper

So just read the forum message on the on-going (1 year+) issues with AB's performance.

Thanks for the heads up and acknowledgement of the issue - took a long time for that though.
    I have seven active accounts. I only play on Sundays and Mondays as I am in a raiding guild now on Farming mode.

Last Sunday was really bad for raiding and Monday we cancelled half way through because of the lag issues.

This is not acceptable.

I appreciate DBG have tried to address this and say its a performance issue.
    I love my EQ AB community - well most of them anyway; and a lot gets forgiven in 17 years of playing, so I am willing to help a bit.

I will cancel my subscriptions of six of my accounts until the next expansion is released or the server is fixed.

Kind regards

Fortunbas
    AB Sorcerer
  2. smash Augur

Correction, I think, you mean the Sunday/Monday b4 last, which is 9/8 days ago. As last sunday/monday were the best in last few months.

I guess its how you define last, for me, its the one I just passed.
  3. Fortunbas Lorekeeper

So some folks have suggested its because of the requirement to comply with the new EU GDPR
    The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules and BREXIT issues that might impact which is the reason for the go slow on sorting out the hardware and performance issues.

In any case whatever the excuse is, its unacceptable.

BREXIT is so watered down that it will most likely take five to six years to fail and should not be a factor for customers for this reason.

The EU GDPR will most likely impose on UK law in any case so might as well just accept the worst case and upgrade Amsterdam or make a decision and bring back the UK based servers like Venril Sathir that we had before based at Rackspace in Uxbridge or Tata Comms DC at High Wycombe

Tata Communications
    Phoenix House, Cressex Business Park, High Wycombe

Rackspace Ltd
    4 The Square, Stockley Park, Uxbridge UB11 1ET
    Tel +44 (0) 20 8734 2500 Fax +44 (0) 20 8606 6107
    rackspace.co.uk

I reckon if DBG gave the community an option to pay a bit more for the servers it might be a viable option and hell, I'm sure many of us that are in the IaaS game will help gratis to make this happen.

Best regards

Fortunbas, CISSP
    "Making the wrong decision is better than no decision, that way failure is fast, lessons can be learned and progress is made"
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

To be honest, Given that they are actively working on a fix right now, I doubt cancelling accounts will actually help the cause, It might send a message though.
    What is holding the fix back currently is probably only implementation-time and testing at this point. The number of paying accounts is irrelevant regarding the timeframe for bug-fixes(well, If everyone cancels they might give up, but thats not what we want).
  5. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Actually, it seems to me as if at least some of the issues we have are happening because chat is routed to the US (where it would "naturally" be copied/filtered/monitored by NSA) rather than any UK-related issues (GCHQ is already a quite helpful lapdog).
    Looking at the overseas-communication infrastructure i would think it's no use to go from NL based server to an UK based one either.
    The more-than-likely explanation from my point of view for what we are facing is design issues and most likely also cheap back-end software (administration issues?).

But as Smash said:
    You probably meant to say "SUN last week" i.e. the 20th, since the 27th was - as he said above - the best we have had in... um.. let me count.. .9months now.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I doubt NSA or GDPR is the issue, otherwise every networking game would be affected and not just EQ(and EQ2).
    Unless DBG is singled out, because of Russian ownership! /tinfoilhat
  7. Fortunbas Lorekeeper

8. Fortunbas Lorekeeper

Yup, Smash is right, I have to admit last Sunday was probably better for folks in their normal environment - I was playing on a laptop from Portugal on holiday so was pretty bad - as bad as ever; so I can only assume this was the reason it seemed the same to me, however, Monday was really the worst I've ever seen it and so this too makes sense.