Another returning player needing help

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Dunar, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Dunar New Member

I use to play EQ at launch until 03. I loved the game but quit and never came back. I've played tons of other MMO's but always had fond memories of EQ. Well this week nostalgia hit me hard and I'm wanting to get back into EQ. I don't think I want to go the Project 1999 route because I'm playing casually and hated the slow leveling and hell levels. I've been reading other posts here and they've helped a lot but I still have some questions. I will be starting from level 1 and getting a feel for the game then probably around 80's hit heroic so I don't have to grind AA's.

1. Is paying a sub to get access to the Progression servers worth it for a better experience? Do those servers still have slow leveling and hell levels?

2. Are there any servers you would recommend for a newbie? I know population is going to be thin until higher levels but I do want to be able to hit high-end dungeons/raids at some point with a good guild.

3. I played a Druid, Wizard, Monk, Necro and SK back in the day to cap. (I'm an altaholic) I loved them all. I did find it hard to find a group for all but the Wizard back then. What is the most sought after classes now? I'm interested in pretty much any class but I'm feeling monk, shaman, enchanter or paly. (I can feel the altaholic kick in already)

Thank you for your help and time.
  2. Rhodz Augur

TLPs... we are done with them, ever hear the expression some people could screw up an iron ball with a feather? Yeah they do a bunch a good stuff then negate it all with something inexplicable, regularly done at that.

FV is the easiest place to get going, best xp/ one of the largest populations on Live/ gearing is SO much easier. It wont be merged either having a unique rule-set and healthy population ... well in any sane world it wouldn't.

Meh DPS is always wanted but that makes you one of many. Just pick what you have fun playing, this isnt a job though a lot of folks forget that. Once you decide, after re-learning the game, on your class of choice make a Heroic if thats your desire (we dont but that seems to be rare now) and come back here as often you need for questions. I can promise most folks never berate an honest thoughtful question and you will find a lot of help.

Hope to see you on FV but have fun no matter
  3. Weverley Augur

Druid and sk won't have problem finding group because Phinny groups have plenty of dps classes but cc/heal/tank are harder to come by.Rest you gonna either to be proactive and start your own group or play at odd hours unless of course you find a guild that makes their own groups.
  4. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

1. Some people like the TLP servers others don't. They do not have Hell levels, but they do have slower XP than standard servers. Grouping milage will vary.

2. Any non-special ruleset server will work fine for what you are looking for here. As long as you are not an people will be helpful and friendly. The time you play and your ability to make friends will be what determines how the grouping and guild search go.

3. The most sought after classes are well played ones. The class you like the most will be good. Monks are doing alright in the group game for a pure melee class. If you do Phinney then I think you should be familiar with everything, but you might want to run through the tutorial on one of the live servers just to get a quick refresher on the basics. If you have questions just ask in the server specific class channel (I.E. /join Monk, you should be auto joined to it and a couple other channels by default). If you cannot find the answer there try the serverwide class channels; the Monk serverwide channel would be /join serverwide.monkly:business you should be able to find someone to help there. Also check out the. Class Web pages,http://www.monkly-business.net/forums/index.php is the Monk one.