An open letter to the Darkpaw Developers

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Elnan, May 12, 2023.

1. Xhartor Augur

I know a lot of people in the "1200", who think the FTE is an awful idea, and will cause a ton of problems. This is excluding the bug that exist with current version on test.

On top of that, the problems it's attempt address go away after the first year of a TLP server. A huge amount of that "800" are recycler who will leave when the next round of TLP's come out. The Goats in qvic are the last competitive "raid" mobs (easily 1 group killable). OoW has some fighting over signet mob and 1.5/2.0 mob, but that clears up pretty quickly. Between instance group/raid content and the decrease in value of group rare names, the fighting between players most goes away.

A standard cadence TLP takes roughly 6 years to reach Live. They are changing a core way the game operates, in order to address a problems that only exist 1/6 of the server life.
    Doze and sadre like this.
  2. Moforyguy12345 Augur

And not only are they making these decisions but also completely ignoring the community uproar. This company reminds me of Funcom with Conan Exiles. They don't give a care about how buggy they are they just keep releasing expansions. Darkpaw has IGNORED the community and then posts an update about the new TLP coming without ANY new info about how FTE is being handled and the disaster it is.
  3. Elnan New Member

Updated the post - Thank you dev's
  4. sadre Augur

A Golden Rooster is no joke.
  5. sadre Augur

The goal is to create no memory or record of this period. It is an obstacle to their plans. This is the red wedding server.
  6. Larsen Augur

The most baffling thing to me is how anyone can think FTE will somehow mitigate kill-stealing. While it can occasionally prevent KSing, it facilitates and encourages it much more often. Instead of being something that was largely limited to RMTers with a boxed crew set up for DPS-racing, which meant regular players were almost never subjected to it as long as they stayed away from a select few camps like efreeti and jade prod, it has now become trivial for everyone to do everywhere in the game.

Literally anyone can now waltz into a camp and start contesting full groups, either to try and snipe the named mob or to force that group to leave because losing a third of their mobs makes it not worth continuing. It also makes it practically mandatory to use third-party software to keep track of respawn timers and the whereabouts of other players so you know when to be ready to tag, whether you're the one camping the spot "legitimately" or the one trying to KS. It'll do the exact opposite of what was intended. There'll be way more griefing, and many who didn't feel the need to use third-party software before will start doing it now.

This feature is a griefer's wet dream. It's like attempting gun control by making a new law that says every citizen must carry a loaded assault rifle at all times, in the hopes that this makes people afraid to shoot anyone. Just absolutely bizarre. A bunch of players who have never KSed anyone before will start to do it now because it has been made so much easier and more accessible to ordinary players, as opposed to being prohibitively impractical for anyone who wasn't 6-boxing.

You can make a necro and go from camp to camp in lguk or wherever, hammering a hotkey to tag named spawns. If you win the latency contest, the mob is yours and the group you stole it from can do nothing about it. If you don't, it cost you nothing to try because you didn't need to commit to a DPS race, so you can just move on to the next camp and keep the cycle going. Think nobody's gonna do that? I've got a bridge to sell you. It'll create new KSers who didn't do it before, and anyone who did KS before will still do it. This mechanic is so idiotic and ill-conceived in a game whose most popular eras revolve in large part around loot from soloable open-world content. Oakwynd will be a KSing festival. It'll be a constant everyday part of life.
  7. Herf Augur

I'm tempted to start a toon on TreeFart just to listen to the lamentations of da players in General :)
  8. Moforyguy12345 Augur

I know what you mean about Necros cuz I main one and used to cycle through picks before on previous TLPS but I'd only take a named that was up and not camped unless it was the cavalier cuz who cares about that guy, but now a group being there wont deter solo's and will def provoke more trolling and sneaky tags for sure. I am sure other groups will also try to tag named spawns outside their camp as well.
  9. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

These guild leaders? never met em.
    Shenanigans likes this.
  10. Larsen Augur

Yep, and even if you only manage to tag a third of the named mobs you attempt, covering just three high-value camps will be as profitable as camping one of them the conventional way, except you aren't limited by what camps are available, you never have to worry about that. It'll be easy to cycle through frenzied, hamlord and azz/sup, probably even more than that since you're not spending mana clearing trash mobs, just sniping named mobs when possible. In fact, in any dungeon with a 20+ minute respawn timer, I imagine it would be possible to cycle through 4-5 different camps as long as you aren't prevented from accessing them, which you probably aren't while those dungeons are current content that people clear out constantly.

So farm up a bag of these all/all wands and go to town. With a macro to /target and /useitem, all it takes is a low ping to easily steal any mob the instant it respawns unless someone with an even lower ping is doing the exact same thing. Before long, everyone is then forced to play that way, and to be deeply suspicious of anyone outside their group. I'm sure I don't need to spell out what that will do to the server's community. An MMORPG where everyone is conditioned to hate and distrust anyone outside their group doesn't sound like a very enjoyable place to spend my free time. I'm giving this server a big No Thanks.
  11. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

What ev, man. this server is going to be poggers.
  12. Larsen Augur

Strong argument there. Hard to argue against such intelligent, well-reaseoned points. Hats off to your articulate and efficiently formulated contribution to the discussion. Bulletproof arguments like yours, backed by a clear understanding of how the game works, are a joy to behold. I'm sure it will be poggers if it's got astute debaters like you on it.
  13. Shenanigans Journeyman

It is easy to call one's self a guild on a server that does not exist yet and F2P / Krono ensure sock puppeting is always going to be here.
  14. Weverley Augur

Didn't daybreak a few tlp ago make it so you can't grab more then 4 mobs at a time.