An alternate solution. A state of the art EQ1 experience

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ragefire Mage, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Carnivac New Member

Enough of this off topic nonsense!

Although while you can't resist with the impertinence, why did you put a full stop after a question mark? Don't practice what you can't preach yourself!
  2. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

WTF lol scrubs get out of '99 zones, play at proper brightness settings and turn on AA and AF. If that isn't good enough for you apply some sweetFX filter.
    Cost of doing that: $0
    Amount of dev time wasted: 0 seconds
    http://imgur.com/aZ95W8K
    http://imgur.com/8an0kK8

Coincidentally, when are you lazy devs going to fix Sarith day time sky
  3. vaio007 Elder

Rabble rabble rabble, mindless nonsensical babble! Although while... everywhere like such as?

Aww, your post was wrong and got zero likes. :oops: After 17 minutes spent editing it. Someone throw this questionable bipedal organism a bone. How's that super amazingest dagger of all coming?

[IMG]
  4. Vlerg Augur

Anyone seriously believe the incredibly slow-paced gameplay of 1999, where timesinks made up 99% of your actual gameplay, would attract new players in modern times granted we add a new layer of graphic? Melee classes with nothing but autoattack and 2 buttons, casters sustaining the hellish rate of 2 , maybe 3 spell per minute? And let's not forget the jewel of classic everquest: Cleric complete heal rotations... Be realistic, you'd need a whole gameplay remake... and if you remake the entire gameplay on top of the esthethics of the game... you got a brand new game! it's called Everquest Next.

Anyone seriously believe pushing the esthethics of a game to the absolute maximum , where only high-end computers can run it, is a good business pratice? Because, clearly, millions of players are ready to throw a grand or a brand new CPU just for a EQ remake, right? Oh, why not... let's build it with oculus rift in mind! a small 400$ rift won't hurt anyone budget right? ( + the hydra controller + the OVRVision cameras...)

Those college students who update elwynn forest.. congratulation! now go design 499 more of those zone, with animation, with thousand of item. Make sure to use different asset aswell ; we don't want to see the same tree/rock/houses everywhere. Sure, modern engine like Unity, Unreal or CryEngine do alot of the work for you... but don't think updating EQ graphics is a small task.

And lastly... to the superb idiot who proposed a 1 million dollar budget for a year amongst 20 graphic designer... do you even math bro? I guess 50 000$ per employee is good for a fresh college graduate ( aka nobody with experience). Now add a small HR department, add the cost of the building, add the cost of the material, the AC/heat/electricity/wathever bill, the computers themselves ( no, a 250$ chromebook won't cut it), the software licence ( Unity pro is 1500$ per license, 750$ per upgrade... yes, you'll need the paid version of unity if you intend to release a MMO with it!). Sure, 1 million is totally fine...Oh but wait... you just remapped the entire world? and you didn't expect bugs?
    Gyurika Godofwar and Iila like this.
  5. OprahWINfree New Member

I have never posted on these forums, but as a childhood fan of EQ, to a grown adult now working in government administration, I second a remake of this game with the classical content. This game has been mimicked, copied, and given inspiration to many other MMOs and rpgs; But, there has never been a game to be as good as this one. This is the masterpeice and a remake would have my money and support. @Daybreak @everquest
  6. Kamea Augur

Game engines aren't just about graphics, they run most systems of a game. It'd take a lot of work to replicate the 'feel' of EQ, ie controls, movement, camera, how systems work, etc in a modern engines. Some attempts to recreate games in modern game engines fail (see Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD) because they don't / can't replicate the non-graphical aspects of the old game correctly.

With that being said, there are plenty of things that could be done to improve the look of the EQ we have. It wouldn't be comparable to 2016 or any single year for that matter, as EQ is a hodgepodge of graphic levels. Native AA support (can be forced now, but native AA is better), improved lighting engine, rewritten shadows with soft shadows, DX9 ambient occlusion (SSAO), grass/foliage with physx, improved polygons count, skin reflections, and new eyes+hair on Luclin models, new clothing texture (ie, not just heroic forge, but also the stuff under it) with physx and reflections..... and to run all this stuff, better multicore optimization..... could go a long way to making it look better.
  7. Nolrog Augur

More like a hundred million, give or take.
  8. Angahran Augur

What would be nice would the option to go into a raid on a pc that is so far beyond required specs that it's not funny (i7-6700k, 16gig ddr4 memory, Nvidia 960 graphics) and not have the game turn into a slideshow!
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  9. Iila Augur

That's the magic of Everquest!
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  10. Pipersun69 New Member

This needs to get done. Everquest was the greatest MMORPG ever made. And that still holds true. Day one pvp still hasn't been improved upon in any game since. I remember the days of constant battle in east commons. Item loot was not for the faint of heart. I approve this message. Zaldar the great. Scourge of
    Nektulos Forest
  11. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

That necro tho, Remember the days when people thought EQNext was still coming?
  12. Maedhros High King

I dont think youre getting it.
    They recently did a patch to undo alot of the newer models of npc such as wolves and orcs to revert back to the original style of EQ models, and people were doing back flips.
    Original EQ's nostalgia is what makes it so popular, and any changes affect the ability to immerse in that nostalgia.
    Nevermind that TLP servers have gobs of new "quality of life" upgrades like "dbl exp weekends", Krono, a raid window, an etw and a thousand other things that didnt exist in 1999.
  13. code-zero Augur

Original models just remind me how ugly and sad the game was back in the old days
  14. Basak Augur

Yet, I remember thinking how advanced and realistic the graphics were - Oh my I was young and dumb. - Funny how things change our perspective on what is good or bad only based on how we experience our lives.
    code-zero likes this.
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Not all of us are thrilled with the graphical downgrades we have seen recently.
    Personally I think they should have rewamped all the old-looking zones to match the visual style of modern EQ, inorder to have some consistency, and most of the rewamps have been solid improvements(when they weren't too influenced by EQ2, freeport *cough*). I believe it was even on SOE's roadmap for awhile.

While nostalgia can attract old players for a while, I really doubt it has any staying power. what makes people stay is the gameplay and the social factor, not the retro graphics...
    I wouldn't be surprised If the retro graphics scared more newbies away than it attracted nostalgia-seekers...
    code-zero likes this.
  16. Goranothos Augur

Disagree. I am against doing graphics revamps of old classic zones. Freeport, for example, was completely ruined. Not to say that I don't want the newer zones to look as nice as possible, but leave the old classic zones alone, IMO.

As for scaring newbies away, lol. We all know they are gonna start in Crescent Reach (or just roll a Heroic), so they aren't gonna see those old graphics anyway. Or were you worried about the TLP servers?
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Well, I could go for a compromise: Let old zones look old, but make all new zones look new, droga(EoK-version) and the velious-part of RoF was a big disappointment, graphically... copy-pasting old graphics to a new expansion, does not look "retro", it just looks out of place and cheap...

I think my major complaint is the jarring combination between new and old...Old models don't look right in modern zones either...