allakhazam Upcoming Account Pruning

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by CrazyLarth, Mar 5, 2020.

1. CrazyLarth Augur

Laurana, Nennius, OldCa61 and 2 others like this.
  2. Duder Augur

How about you prune the malicious ads?
    Axxius, Nennius, Yinla and 4 others like this.
  3. Tanise Elder

Weird, I don't see any ads on Allakhazam.
    Nolrog likes this.
  4. Duder Augur

If you're using an Ad Blocker you're fine. Or if you pay a subscription, which I am not adverse to. Except for the fact that they have malicious advertisement if you don't subscribe. Years of submitting data to the site for them to hold it behind a paywall with malicious and fraudulent advertisements that hijack your browser and intrude your computer with loud audio alerts. That's a terrible business practice that I will not support. (I would subscribe if they didn't use such deplorable tactics to drive subscriptions).
    Moege likes this.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Allakhazam is a wonderful resource. The problem is definitely their ads. It's as saturated as an X-rated site. And the types of ads are dangerous - mimics "ransomware."
    Duder likes this.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

10 or 11 bucks a year isn't so much a paywall as a pay speed bump :)
  7. Duder Augur

The money is not the issue. As Benito mentioned, the ransomware-like as their persuasion is the problem.
  8. Conq Augur

I paid. I still get adds. I won't go back, it's not worth the effort or risk. And I tell everyone I know to not visit. Ever.
    Conq
    Whulfgar and Duder like this.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I am currently subbed and get no ads. Once I am signed in of course :)
  10. svann Augur

I never see ads. Ever. AFAIK the only place to find info on old content besides asking in generaltroll channel.
    Skuz, Laurana, Mintalie and 1 other person like this.
  11. Whulfgar Augur

12. AB_H'Sishi Augur

Most websites don't sell their ad space directly to advertising customers. They usually make a contract with an advertising company which re-sells the ad space to their customers.
    Most websites don't have much control which ads will show up; if the advertising company is trustworthy you can define which content you don't want to have ads for on your site.
    Koryu likes this.
  13. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

I use my Mac OS/iOS to access Allakhazam. I'm sure most people are having problems on Microsoft Edge/Internet Explorer. It may be safer to use Firefox with ad blocker on Windows.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I paid for a sub, was dropped in price by a lot a while back so it was a good way to get rid of the ads.

No regrets I like the site & get a lot of useful info from there, if you spot something outdated, post an update & the mods work on it fairly quickly.
    eepok likes this.
  15. Duder Augur

"Good way to get rid of the ads" -- Ads are okay. It's the type of adds on that site. Intrusive and fraudulent hijacking ads that are basically ransomware to get you to pay their sub, congrats, you fell for it.

That site's advertisement/sub scheme is deplorable.
  16. Zamiam Augur

what is the time frame for this ? when is the date that we have up to , to be able sign in before the purge ..?
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, I don't feel like I "fell" for anything though, I am happy with what a sub account gets & I don't feel like the websites advertising necessarily reflects badly on the website itself with all of the auto-ad software on the market, which I could easily bypass with an adblocker if I wished to anyway, websites gotta make money to keep running so there will always be "bad" advertising as someone is paying to put that out there.

I do think an international "advertising standards" authority is needed for the internet though, TV/Radio (at least here in the UK) are subject to that.
    svann likes this.
  18. Metanis Bad Company

I pay for a subscription there and use Chrome with uBlock Origin. It's awesome!