[Agnarr] Whats the downside of Human Rangers?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kriegstreiber, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Ultrazen Augur

Half elf, start in tree town. Best looking armor, best origin.
  2. Illusory Augur

+1,

During live there were hundreds of Wood Elf Rangers with a variation of that character's name.
  3. Darwin New Member

Cultural fletching recipes make it very easy to cap fletching as a wood elf, but extremely expensive as a half elf or human. I race changed my tunare wood elf on Phini so that I could fletch and benefit from the PoK book in the same zone as my origin.
  4. Kriegstreiber New Member

How important is this fletching?
    Cant you just buy these arrows?
  5. Green_Mage Augur

It's a little hazy for me but I know there are NO DROP bows you craft with fletching. Elves do seem to get preferential treatment on crafting materials. Their pottery Idol is the cheapest and their cultural armor is good for the price.
  6. Machentoo Augur

I used origin multiple times a day throughout PoP. Most everyone else i know did too, unless they had a stupid origin point like humans or darkelves.
  7. Machentoo Augur

The real advantage is an easy and cheap path to 300 fletching. Everyone who isn't an elf or karana worshipper has to farm a million ground spawns or PoP elemental drops to make it to 300. Elves can spend about an hour buying mats off vendors in PoP, hitting autocombine, and sell it all back for basically the same amount, and quickly reach 300. If you ever need 300 fletching for any reason at all, it is absolutely worth it to either roll elf to start, or at some point race change to elf to level it and then race change back. (I am currently saving my monthly DBG cash, I am 4 months in out of 10, to be able to afford two free race change pots for this purpose.) May God have mercy on your soul if you play a class that can't race change to elf--my wife did that once and it about drove her crazy.

FWIW fletching gives access to the very best tribute items to farm from about Gates through almost forever. It also is needed (and still very hard for non-elves to max) in underfoot for shawl 2.0. Neither of these will ever be a factor on Agnarr. What will be a factor for Agnarr is that fletching gives you access to create the best in slot ranger dps bow that will ever exist on Agnarr, and hence a huge source of revenue.
  8. Wayylon Augur

So you said Elf or Karana right?

Human Rangers can worship Karana, can they do the same easy mode fletching?
  9. Raltar Augur

Back when I started in 2000, I made a human ranger. Got lost in the tunnel out to Qeynos Hills. He is still lost in that damn tunnel. I rerolled a half elf ranger and was able to find my way out.
  10. Kriegstreiber New Member

Yes, but the visibility is no longer an issue on non-classic EQ I read.
    Also we have the map function now :)

What starting stats would you guys put into the Human Ranger?
    I heard no STR or DEX as it will be easily capped but I dont know how this works, I looked at a complete set of Dragon Armor from the Ice-Continent-Expansion and it nowhere comes near a skil cap of 250 (or 200?) so I am unsure on how to calculate these things.

Also, keep in mind I am a pretty casual player so I guess the High-End-Raid stuff will be forever out of my reach.
  11. Raltar Augur

You probably don't start capping stats until end game Luclin. And don't forget to take buffs into consideration. If you aren't planning on raiding, it will be a very long time before you see stat caps in any form, even with buffs. So putting points into str wouldn't be a terrible idea for that extra carry weight.
  12. Wayylon Augur

Ok I just looked it up. Human Rangers of Karana can infact use the easy mode fletching from 202-300 by making Steel Guardian Arrows with 4 vendor bought components.

So if you roll Human take Karana as your diety.
  13. Kriegstreiber New Member

Wayylon where did you look this up?
    Does this means Human (Karana) is ok to use without beeing forced to this long and expensive leveling approach and humans can build this high end bow also?
  14. Kriegstreiber New Member

Also, does this mean Human (Tunare) still need to use the long and expensive path?
  15. Darwin New Member

16. Kriegstreiber New Member

Thank you Darwin.
    As some former questions have been burrowed a few postings above already let me just rephrase it:

1.) Is fletching neccessary to have or could you simply purchase the best bow and one arrow?
    2.) Does Karana worshippers get an arrow which is equally good to the best Tunare arrows? (Or are the two arrows linked by Darwin actually the best fletchable arrows?)
    3.) Is the "Helm of the Tracker" for Tunare Rangers such a good item that a ranger pretty much want it, no matter what
  17. Wayylon Augur

Ya looks like Tunare Human gets nothing special. As far as the good bows? Not sure I think anyone 300 can make them and they aren't diety restricted.

Oh ya you can buy a crafted bow, I think that was the whole point of getting 300 , so you could sell them.

Helm of the Tracker is ok but I doubt you'll be wearing it much past Velious.
  18. Wulerdar Gnome Slayer

only good ranger race is the one that can rez its self
  19. Kriegstreiber New Member

And which race could do this?
  20. Mrjon3s Augur

A human ranger has to run from Surefall glades through Qeynos hills to Qeynos town for book to PoK. Or Surefall glades through Qeynos Hills through West Karanas and finally to North Karanas for wizard spire to the nexus. A Gfay ranger just has to jump from the treehouse west to the PoK stone or South to the wizard spires for Nexus port. Pretty much Gfay is the way to go.