Agnarr returning player questions redux

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by EastSideWestSide, May 21, 2019.

1. EastSideWestSide Lorekeeper

I had initially posted this on the newbie forums however my first answer there suggested posting here instead...

---

While I was excited when Agnarr was announced I was unable to play at that time and I'm just now getting the chance to enjoy the server. I did have a few questions I was hoping to get answered if anyone has a moment.

What do people usually do for bags on Agnarr? Is there a certain best type I should be looking for or something available for DB cash?
    (I also have sold a Krono for start up cash so I can do some limited Bazaar shopping if needed)

Are there any other quality of life items I should keep an eye out for? I've already purchased a water breathing ring off the bazaar, old habit. I noticed some mounts are available for DB cash, are those usable on Agnarr and at all levels?

Where are good places to hunt where I can also work factions without losing any? (As an example, I virtually always level in Blackburrow since it improves several factions while losing only the gnolls which hated me anyway)

A couple of class/race questions,
    ... Regarding Paladins, I had assumed Dwarf would be the best choice but I see quite a few threads with people saying the High Elf wisdom at the high end becomes the best advantage when in the top gear everything else caps, is that correct?
    ... Regarding Necromancers, Iksar Regen Iksar Regen and more Iksar Regen seems to be the consensus but, as you can lich and lifetap, is there any value to Hide from dark elves (which I don't think there's an alternative for) or Gnomes getting tinkering (I'd read something about lifetapping stalking probes). I was going to make my Shaman an Iksar and I wasn't a big enough fan of the race to make two...
    ... Regarding Rangers, I had assumed Halflings would be the best choice but I see Wood Elf racial fletching mentioned quite a bit. Is the Wood Elf fletching really that great?
    ... Regarding Wizards, where did they stand in PoP content? Back in the day I didn't raid passed very early Velious. Were they desirable on the high end or subpar to other DPS classes?

On support classes, specifically Clerics
    How do people level those now that the server is a bit older? My original EQ main was a Cleric (though I switched to Druid and Mage later by Velious), A friend told me they had several tricks added to help soloing like weapon proc spells but are those available on Agnarr or from expansions that won't exist there?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can give shed some light on these, especially on the bag and QoL/mount questions.
  2. Xhartor Augur

The market place has a 20 slot 100% weight reduction bag that isn't lore.

Halfing can craft some leatherfoot sack that's 10 slots and 100% weight reduction bags that aren't lore.

Paladin: Barrel rolls > then having a large stick up your ***.
    Necros: Master Race
    Shaman: Master Race
    Rangers: The best arrow in game has a deity restriction, So you are kind of forced to use a race that worships Tunare.
    Wizard: Wizard are still good dps, but threat generation is always an issue. It best to have a support network if you are trying to level them.
    Cleric: They get durability from wearing plate and have the best heals, so they can solo it's just a slow kill rate. However if a group is available they will probably snap you up in a heartbeat.
    EastSideWestSide likes this.
  3. Captain Video Augur

When you start at PoP, all of the newbie armor quests are available, and I like to do those before anything else. Visible slot quests will be race/class specific, and will be handed out by one of your nearby guildmasters. Non-visible slot quests begin at level 10, and are handed out by NPCs in PoK. There are three sets of those quests based on alignment: good, neutral, evil.

Not sure why anyone would want to solo a Cleric on a TLP, but if you must, they will level much like a tank, slow and steady. I am also partial to Blackburrow, I've levelled several toons there, and it's an easy zone to memorize. By PoP it's also empty, which prevents the hazard of someone else accidently training you big-time. If you're fussy about no negative faction, there are gnoll and orc camps in Highland Pass that are good to level in late teens to mid-20s, it just takes a while to get there. High Keep has a bank and some TS support, but no soulbinder. Otherwise just pick a zone, wander around and keel stuff, like lions, spiders and bears, oh my. By 25 you should be able to find occasional PUGs for LGuk or giants.

Ask around in chat. The server is top-heavy, but not as dead at lower levels as on a live server, at least that's my current perception.
  4. Rynan New Member

Not entirely accurate. Either diety, Karana or Tunare has the best arrow. Only difference is Karana is cold damage, Tunare fire. I would give the edge to Karana arrows since I think cold damage is less resisted than fire.
  5. EastSideWestSide Lorekeeper

Appreciate all the answers.

Thank you for the marketplace bag hint, exactly what I was looking for.

I've been doing /who all of classes trying to see what the server has, Wizard's are looking pretty barren (or are they just all going anonymous or something?). I think I'll roll one of them up as a main. Right now leveling on a Magician though just to quickly have some fun doing old content I miss.

LoL I didn't want an Iksar Necro but I guess in Lich form looks won't matter anyway and that regen is tight. Master race indeed.

Are the newbie armor quests in PoK really worth doing? I've already got a lot of magical gear from the bazaar.

Solo'ing a Cleric isn't always an option at the lower levels, groups or partners just aren't always there. That's why I was curious, if before 20 or 30 they'd had any tools added so they weren't so slow.
    I've decided to hold off on that though. Being a main healer isn't something I'm ready to be, still too rusty.

Highland Pass, cool. I've also been doing the Butcherblock aqua goblins lately. They give dwarf faction with no downside.

So with Karana having a lower resisted arrow too, from a min/max standpoint, Halfling Ranger is just all around the way to go...
  6. Captain Video Augur

If you have enough plat already to buy gear from the Bazaar, then the PoK newbie armor quests can be skipped. They are still interesting quests. There is one that gives you a look at hill giants from a very different perspective than the rest of the player base. :)
  7. EastSideWestSide Lorekeeper

Thanks again for all the help, a few weeks in now I had some additional questions if someone gets a minute...

1) Are there hot zones on Agnarr or was that a concept from a later expansion? If so, how do I find what they are?

2) I've seen some people riding wolf/worg looking mounts, are those dropped or sold by vendors? Or something from the in game store?

3) I've decided to run with a Necro for now, I wanted a pet class, I think I have the most fun soloing older content, and they seem scarcer than Magicians so I don't feel quite so dime a dozen, but now I'm reading something about dot revamps but they didn't get one so they're weaker than other dot classes or something, what's the story behind that?

4) Are there any pet focus items for Necro's leveling up (like the 4 quests Magicians can do from Sol Ro) or is it all higher end items?
  8. Fluid Augur

2) No hot zones AFAIK but they do have experience potions. SoW and Clarity are also available.
    4) Shouldn't really be a problem. Other then the Necro spells plus pet are strong, every pet toy a magician can summon will fit a Necro pet. When you have a level 65 magician outfitting your pets, you should pretty much be home free. Check the Bazaar but don't pay more then ~25 platinum per item like Muzzle of Mardu. Some jokers ask 500-5000 pp depending on their sense of humor.