After tutorial, what's next?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by jhk51162, Mar 15, 2014.

1. jhk51162 New Member

What do I do afterwards? Where do I go? I went to the little hut with all the people and then ran to the place with the three quests in the area by the waterfall but then nothing. The game just dried up!:eek: How do you level after that? I wanted to try doing research on my enchanter and couldn't find out how to do that... I'm not quite sure what went wrong but the game just seemed to end at level 11. How does one get from level 11 to level 100? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.:D

Oh, and what's so special about the progression servers?:confused:
  2. moogs Augur

You have to leave the tutorial. You can do this by speaking with Arias or by going through the cave by the waterfall in the starting area.
  3. jhk51162 New Member

I went to Crescent reach and did the quests there but couldn't find anything after the mushrooms, spiders and snakes. What do I do after those three quests? Are there more there leading somewhere else? Do I need to go somewhere else? This is very confusing.:confused:
  4. Ultrazen Augur

If you take the zone out of crescent reach, and hug the right wall, there is a book statue you can click on that's not very far. That will take you to Plane of Knowledge. PoK will take you some time to get the hang of, but that's where you can get access to all of the other zones in the game. There is also an NPC there named Franklin Teek, that gives out daily quests that have some nice armor and cash rewards.

You can also use the hotkey to "summon tome of hereos" or some such. The heroes journey quest line will generally point you in a direction.

In general, not all of EQ is questing. Some of it is about exploring, and just killing mobs for experience and loot etc. There are a lot of good leveling guides on the net if you do a google search for them. You can also open up your map, and then in the upper right hand corner there is a button labeled zone finder. That will give you a list of every zone in the game, and what the level ranges are.

Your best bet is to do some research via leveling guides. http://almarsguides.com/eq/leveling/ there's a good place to start.
  5. moogs Augur

jhk51162 do you have maps? You can zoom in/out to navigate.
  6. Quatr Augur

There is a metric tons of quests in Crescent Reach. Some of the quest givers are in the rooms at the Inn, some on the second floor, one on the third floor and so on. Check your "Hero's Journey" information (accessible from the "EQ" button under "Achievements") to see which quest arcs you need to do to get "Hero's Journey" armor upgrades. It should include the quest name and, I think, the name of the quest giver.
    Borek-VS and Yther like this.
  7. Yther Augur

Just to clarify, this game isn't follow these directions (via quests and blatantly marked NPCs) like other MMORPGs. It's more of do whatever you want type of game. It is a game of exploration, trial and error, try something and see what happens. In other words, don't wait for the game to tell you what to do, just try stuff. Kill things. Loot stuff. Sell stuff. Talk to (Hail) NPCs and follow their dialog. Explore places. Expect to die alot at times, especially trying out new thing and places.

For line of quests to do while you're leveling type /ach in-game and follow the Hero's Journey quests. Those won't be enough to level you up though, you'll still have to do more, and if quests only, alot more. Or just kill stuff. Quests are fun and the Hero's Journey ones are worthwhile to do. Once you hit 20+, start doing the Hot zone quest from Franklin Teek in Plane of Knowledge. It's a few zones from Crescent Reach. Easy instruction Find (Ctrl+F) Blightfire Moors zone - zone to Blightfire - leave the cave and hug the right wall to the South until you come to a treestump with a book on top of it. Click it to zone to Plane of Knowledge. I'm not sure if the Find works right in blightfire to pok, since it has been moved, and the old spot is kinda dangerous to get to. The new spot is safe as long as you stay against the wall and avoid getting too close to the rats below.

You can also use the map window, Zone Guide button to find what zones to travel thru to get a destination zone. See https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?posts/3066247/ for a more in-depth description of using the map window and finding your way around.

Hope this helps some,

Yther Ore.
    Geroblue, Borek-VS and Quatr like this.
  8. Pelrond Elder

I did the hero's journey and made it to level 80. In crescent reach, use the find button and find NPCs with quests for your level. Talk to everyone. Do the trade skill quests. The quests will guide you out to the quest givers in blightfire moors, stonehive and the mesa. Talk to EVERYONE. Click on signs. Try again after you level (some quests you'll only see after you are high enough level).
    Yther likes this.
  9. Maliwali New Member

Like you, I'm fairly new and got a little lost after getting out of the Mines. I came from EQ2, so I'm used to seeing little glowy feathers over the heads of quest givers. EQ doesn't have that, so as others have said, you need to just hail every NPC you see.

A few things that have helped me...

At first, I followed this guide for Crescent Reach - http://www.paullynch.org/eqguide/guides/crescent-reach/ - It's dated in a few places, but helped me figure out where the quest givers were.

The Heroes Journey guides you through questing as you level. I thought this list was helpful. - http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=5553

In Planes of Knowledge, use your find ability to look for Secalna Galnor. It's an NPC with a series of quests that sort of follow the tutorial. She'll help you figure out things like guilds, how to use the zone guide and how to spend your loyalty points. Lots of things clicked for me as I went through her quests!
    Pelrond likes this.
  10. Borek-VS Augur

Dated? Where? I'd appreciate having the obvious pointed out to me :).

My preference:
    • Complete the tutorial, so you get a full set of gear and a tank merc.
    • Do some of the Secalna Ganor quests in Plane of Knowledge (bag, exp potion: Bazaar and Marketplace quests).
    • Crescent Reach and do some of the Hero's Journey quests (Boab, the alchemist, another bag, Loadstone and Charm of Lore), but skip ones that would slow me down levelling.
    • Blightfire Moors Hero's Journey quests.
    • After that, Franklin Teek hot zone quests.
    You are spoiled for choice after completing all these, with quests that are good for a class (magician: Clay Bracelet - and many more), but aren't all that vital, or just grinding to level.

I like to use the Hero's Journey as a useful checklist, and source for additional gear items, but only for zones and quest lines that I enjoy.
    Aanuvane likes this.
  11. Kimela Elder

For the research part, go back to that hut where all the npcs are in Crescent Reach. Find the Enchanter's Guild Master. Right click on him and find research skill, it will tell you what level you need to be to start it. If you are the appropriate level, put a skill point into it if you don't have yet.
  12. Aanuvane Augur

I typically follow the hero's journey for quite a while too, but after the umpteenth alt, it can get tedious in SS zones. There are other things to do in the character achievements too.
  13. Gythlen Augur

Yes, EverQuest is a huge world, so I understand the lost feeling. Let's see if I can add a few things.

1. Okay so, you're out of the tutorial and if all went well (meaning if you used the cave behind Arias and not asked him to help you leave) you would be on a small foresty path in front of Emissary Tinnvin. She is technically the 'beginning' of the Hero's Journey quests. You can see what these are by typing /ach This will bring up your Achievement window. Click on the Hero's Journey section where you will see lots of stuff there.

2. Hailing the Emissary will give you a quest in your Journal (just like it did in the tutorial) so follow that. Pretty much in the beginning, I would suggest all new players and those who are returning from after a long time, to follow the Hero's Journey (even if you are higher than level 1) to get (re)acquainted with things and some gear.

3. As Yther said an a few others, EQ is an expansive world. It is more set up (as in the old days) you explored, hailed, discovered, etc. You will notice at level 11, some mail you will get (and every level afterwards). Hit CTRL + E to bring up your mail. In there will be suggestions of places to go at your level. Mostly dungeons and other zones outside of Crescent Reach.

4. You could try crafting. Crescent Reach has tradeskill GMs on the first and second floors. In EQ one character can be as many crafts as you want (some exceptions. Gnomes only can TInker, Shamans only can do Alchemy, and Rogues only can make Poisons). The NPCs give all the required materials, and you can get up to skill 54 that way. You might like it! ((Personally I'm a crafting junkie))

Start out with those, and I'll end with a few new/returning player links. SOme info might be outdated but I think the overall tone and feel will help you.

http://www.redguides.com/forums/sho...mp-Returning-Player-s-Guide-to-EverQuest-Live

http://redmace.com/guide-to-everquest/returning-players-guide/

http://www.paullynch.org/tnzfaq/

http://www.paullynch.org/eqguide/
  14. Maliwali New Member

I take it back! I was wrong. :)

I just looked over it again, to see if I could find the couple of things that got me turned around, but now that I've been through it a few times, I can see that it was my own cluelessness that was the culprit. I think I was confusing information from your site with some other stuff I'd read. Sorry about that!

Your EQ guide is hugely helpful. I've tried repeatedly over the years to get into EQ, but I always fizzled out before. Thank you so much for taking the time to put it together!
    moogs and Borek-VS like this.